advantage of multiple cables?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

glgeek

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
greetings,

i am reinstalling my dish 500 dish (510 receiver) and running new cable to a new location which involves burying the cable to an outbuilding.

i plan on running an additional cable for an OTA antenna.

the question i have is "is there a need to run 2 cables to the dish?"
-i have only one TV.
-would never have more than one receiver.
-will be adding HD in the future.
-zip code 55304, so i think i could get locals, HD and SD all on one dish? (only have SD now)

also, "think i can get away with a 125' foot run?"

thank you for your help now and in the past.

bruce

125 foot run will be fine. I would run 2 cables just so I had an extra. Thats just me though. Its not required. But you know what your future plans are so if you think you don't need it ,just run one wire. I would also run some PVC piping for the wire to sit in ,It will make changing or adding additional wires a snap. Plus its good wire protection. Good Luck.

125 foot run will be fine. I would run 2 cables just so I had an extra. Thats just me though. Its not required. But you know what your future plans are so if you think you don't need it ,just run one wire. I would also run some PVC piping for the wire to sit in ,It will make changing or adding additional wires a snap. Plus its good wire protection. Good Luck.

great, thank you for the reply.

considering the cost of the cable, maybe an extra might make sense.

i failed to mention in my first question that i was considering RG6. is that correct or should i use RG11 ? this is for only the exterior run to the ground block. the interior is RG6 Quad. the total run is the 125' as previously stated. includes interior and exterior cabling.

TIA,
bruce

RG6 is more then fine Just make sure its atleast 2200 MHZ.( 3GHZ is what D*and E* use) most RG6 now days is acceptable . If you want to spend some extra $$ there nothing wrong with that. But RG11 IMO is A little extream for a 125' foot run. I got a 225' Run with No issues what so ever. With RG6 2200MHZ cable. Never an issue going on 5 years.

i would definitely run one set of DUAL RG6 cable. For proper grounding: this dual cable should include the 17 gage "messenger" wire.

If you ever decide you want a dual-tuner receiver (likely, since you said you currently have a DVR, I can't imagine you wanting to live without one; and that you will add HD in the future, Dish doesn't currently have any single-tuner HD DVRs), having an extra cable would come in handy, if you don't want to be required to use a separator and DPP LNBF or switch.

Yes we for got about that, You need a DPP Lnb in order to use one wire on a HD DVR. And yes then a seperator is also needed. If you don't have these then you do need to run 2 wires.

Run two, but if you do a conduit, put in a couple of pull strings so you can future proof your setup. Run 1" conduit with sweep bends instead of hard 90 degree bends, makes pulling easier. Since a roll of cable usually comes in 500' and 1000' quantities, you could probably pull a couple lines in (at least three, perhaps four).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)