Advice: Moving 722 From Upstairs to Down

bradb007

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
Hey guys hope I can get some advice on this potential change,

I'm contemplating a change in the routing of my 2nd 722. Currently the 722 is upstairs in the office with 2 RG6 cables delivering the signal from 2 500 sats. I then have the tv2 backfeed out from the office and into the "main" house wiring and down to the master bedroom. I am considering putting a HD lcd tv in the bedroom and want to move the 722 to that room to get HD.

My thought is that I can run 2 additional RG6 cables from a "hub" in the attic to the bedroom and then use one to backfeed to the office. Thus getting exactly what I had setup before, but with tv1 now in the bedroom instead of the office.

Once wired, I assume I could pretty easily switch the 722 between rooms if needed by swapping the connections in the attic.

Is this something an intermediate user can accomplish (ie I know computers, can build my own etc, but not sat switches)?

I'm sensitive to noises when I sleep, with the HDD in the bedroom drive me crazy?

Drive you crazy????? Temporarily remove the 722 to that room and connect to AC only . It will spool up and then go into a sat search mode that should approximate the normal sounds from the hard drive. If those sounds are satisfactory, you will have the answer to your question concerning noise.

Hey guys hope I can get some advice on this potential change,

I'm contemplating a change in the routing of my 2nd 722. Currently the 722 is upstairs in the office with 2 RG6 cables delivering the signal from 2 500 sats. I then have the tv2 backfeed out from the office and into the "main" house wiring and down to the master bedroom. I am considering putting a HD lcd tv in the bedroom and want to move the 722 to that room to get HD.

My thought is that I can run 2 additional RG6 cables from a "hub" in the attic to the bedroom and then use one to backfeed to the office. Thus getting exactly what I had setup before, but with tv1 now in the bedroom instead of the office.

Once wired, I assume I could pretty easily switch the 722 between rooms if needed by swapping the connections in the attic.

Is this something an intermediate user can accomplish (ie I know computers, can build my own etc, but not sat switches)?

I'm sensitive to noises when I sleep, with the HDD in the bedroom drive me crazy?

what do you mean by "hub"?

Since you have 2 sat feeds coming to your 722, and you have another 722 somewhere (also with 2 lines to it for sat in?), im thinking you have a DP34 switch that your 2 500 dishes are attached to.

That DP 34 is, and must remain your SAT "hub".

Run 2 new RG6 lines to your new 722 location from that 34 switch. Disconnect the 2 old ones and connect the 2 new ones. Now your box has SAT signals.

As far as the TV2 goes, well, lots of ways to do that. The simplest is to run a direct line from the back of the 722 to your new TV2 location, or find and existing wire to connect to.

Your owners manual has lots of good info concerning connections. check it.

My own experience is the hdd doesn't make much noise, it would be the fans that make all the noise, i switched the update to 3pm instead of the default 3am so i dont hear the fans go to full speed when it reboots.

However i have on occasion heard the hdd disk chatter a little sometimes, i am assuming it's defragging or something, but again very rare.

good luck

Thanks to both of you that was exactly what I needed on the wiring and the noise :)

Going to order the cables and give it a shot!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)