Advice on changing packages

maggiep67

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 25, 2012
Hey everyone.

Looking for advice on switching from America's Everything Pack to America's 250.

Here's some info to consider:

We watch movies on the premium movie channels on occasion (maybe 2 per month). The only show we love on the premium channels is Showtime's Episodes.
We do rent movies at Redbox (2-4 per month).
We have an Amazon Prime membership and plan on purchasing the Amazon Fire tv (ordering this week). Once we get it, we are considering going back to Netflix.
We subscribe to Blockbuster @Home.

Seems like a no-b******* to dump AEP and go to A250 and save 45.00 per month. Are we only losing the movie channels with this change? Any downside to making this change? Thoughts?

Thanks,
Maggie

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Personally I see no downside at all.You can always sub to HBO or showtime when a series is on that you want to watch.HBO Go gives you the chance to binge watch all you want in a months time.Dish still doesn't have Shotime anytime yet,but they do offer deals throughout the year on the premiums.IMHO AEP is the most overrated package Dish has.

BB@Home will give you some premium movie channels, Epix and plex movies and some others along with streaming via Dishanywhere. You will also have access to some Starz and Encore HD by using the ondemand that may not show up on your channel guide.

Yes you only lose the movie channels. Of course you could get Showtime just for the months of your favorite programs, or just keep Showtime period.

Thanks everyone.

Done!!

Great advice on getting the SHO when Episodes comes back, never occurred to me to do just that.

Thanks again! Appreciate the time!

Maggie

I did this exact thing last Spring. It seemed so pointless spending $45 a month on those channels. I just loaded up my DVR with movies before I dropped them. I still have a few recordings that I haven't watched from then. If you pay attention to when they have the free previews you can set up your DVR to record more movies too. If you do that you'll never miss the premium channels again.

Except for premium tv series. That is why I advise anyone that wants to save money to NEVER watch any more of the premium tv shows unless they are prepared to sub when they are on. I'm down to just True Blood: LAST season this summer , and I won't have this problem again. As for premium movies , freeviews are perfect for recording all you missed and then save to your external hard drive. $45.00 is way too much for the redundant, premium movie services.

That is why I advise anyone that wants to save money to NEVER watch any more of the premium tv shows unless they are prepared to sub when they are on.

You could say the same for all of TV - want to save money don't sub to any pay TV, just get OTA.
I like so many HBO shows I would likely keep that and drop down to a lower package if I had to save money. It's almost a choice of quality content over quantity content.

You could say the same for all of TV - want to save money don't sub to any pay TV, just get OTA.
I like so many HBO shows I would likely keep that and drop down to a lower package if I had to save money. It's almost a choice of quality content over quantity content.

I used to think that HBO had the best tv series ,but now with AMC and even WGN and Netflix putting shows on that rival theirs, I don't believe that anymore. I am just not going to pay $19.00 a month for the ability to watch a few tv shows on HBO. There is a point of diminishing returns and HBO meet that point a couple of price hikes ago for me.

HBO, SHOWTIME, CINEMAX, STARZ shouldnt really be $ 45.00 . They are all only worth about $ 20.00 a month in my opinion

Thanks everyone.

Done!!

Great advice on getting the SHO when Episodes comes back, never occurred to me to do just that.

Thanks again! Appreciate the time!

Maggie

You can get Showtime for $9 @ month for 6 months, at least you could a couple weeks ago. PM a DIRT member. That's what I did--thanks Zach!

Ed

This ignores the fact that you must otherwise subscribe to the Outdoor Sports Pack to get WFN. Not a big deal, but it invalidates your claim.

I don't understand? I get WFN with Top 250. Is not supposed to be included?
(Looks like Saltwater Adventures is on at the moment)

Last edited:
According to The List, WFN is part of HD Platinum (BB@H). Are you subscribed to that?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)