advice on HDTV upgrade

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bandit1972

Original poster
May 19, 2004
I want to start upgrading my current directTV system to HDTV. I am not an expert, and I don't have unlimited funds, so I am doing this a little bit at a time.

My current system is a standard (round) dish with 2 regular receivers and one DirectTV tivo receiver. currently, none of my tv's are HD TVs.

Right now I would like to upgrade to the oval dish (HDTV compatible) and buy one HD receiver. I am going to purchase an HDTV for one of the rooms in my house.

My worries are this: will my other two 'standard' tv's and receivers be affected by the new satellite dish? also, the room which I want to put the new HDtv (and new HDTV receiver) is the same room which I keep my Tivo receiver. I am assuming that I can't use the HDTV receiver and Tivo receiver on the same tv? i would have to either move the tivo to another room, or have my HDTV in another room. Neither is really want I want to do, since I do most of my tv watching in the room with the tivo, of course i would want to take advantage of my HDTV in that room too. how can i best do this?

thanks for your help.

beth

On the oval dish, check with a CSR or two at DirecTV to see what they can offer you as far as an upgrade. In the past, they would send you a FREE (except for shipping/handling) oval dish setup if you commit to another year of programming. Your standard set top boxes will still be fine after oval dish swap. You should still be able to use your standard def tivo with a DirecTV Hi Def receiver. I use the Hughes product ($300 new). It will output High def to your TV monitor via DVI or Component cable at the same time as outputting standard definition version of the same channel for recording to the tivo box over S-video and/or Composite video connection. When considering a digital TV monitor, look for HDCP compliant DVI input connection in addition to Component input(s). This will increase the likelihood that your future HD viewing will not be limited by copyright issues. Good Luck!

thanks!!

wow, this is confusing

so the DirectTV HiDef receiver will output HDTV to my HD monitor (allowing me to view live TV in HD) and will also output a regular tv signal to my standard DirectTV tivo (allowing me to still use my TiVo to watch/record in standard format).

what is a component input or cable? I understand that DVI and S-Video are types of connections/cables which I will need. Is 'component' input another type?

thanks so much for your help, you really have helped me out!!

beth

yes Component is for HD and lower, it is a step below the top rated DVI. use DVI if you can, as it is an all digital trasfer. yes an HD STB will output both HD and SD at once, but it will be the same feed or channel on all outputs. your DirecTivo can not record off of an incoming pre-tuned signal, it will only record off of what it tunes, so you must have both the DirecTivo and HD receiver hooked up to the same HDTV for this wo work, and both receivers must be doing their own tuning. get a an HD DirecTivo and all your problems will be solved, and you will subtract a $5/month from your bill.

mini1 said:
yes Component is for HD and lower, it is a step below the top rated DVI. use DVI if you can, as it is an all digital trasfer. yes an HD STB will output both HD and SD at once, but it will be the same feed or channel on all outputs. your DirecTivo can not record off of an incoming pre-tuned signal, it will only record off of what it tunes, so you must have both the DirecTivo and HD receiver hooked up to the same HDTV for this wo work, and both receivers must be doing their own tuning. get a an HD DirecTivo and all your problems will be solved, and you will subtract a $5/month from your bill.

This is not true of all Directv HD boxes. I have the Hughes E86 and it doesn't output both at the sametime. You have to hit a couple of buttons to switch back and forth.

Contact Directv they have upgrade options for existing customers you might be able to upgrade for as little as $99.00

Common Video Connections:
Best: HDMI - Digital - multi-pin connector
Best: DVI - Digital - multi-pin connector
Best: Component - Analog - 3 RCA connectors (usually red, blue, green)
Very Good: S-Video - Analog - round multi-pin
Good: Composite - Analog - basic single RCA connector (usually yellow, cable is often attached to right and left audio cables).

Not all receivers will work with the oval triple lnb dish.. It is easy to check, just go into setup on your current receiver and look under dish type.. It if shows oval you are set.. Re the upgrade, call direct at 800-600-8977.. that is customer retention line.. Tell them you want the $99 hdtv upgrade program.. it is a hd receiver, new dish and installation.. They charge you 450.00 or so and give you a credit for 351.00.. While you have them on the line ask for some free programming.. I got showtime for 6 months at no charge..

DTV Customer Retention Program

I contacted DTV at the 800 600-9877 number and was told that the program ended 2 weeks ago. I was finally able to negotiate:
1. I would purchase the receiver and DTV would give me a $200 credit on my bill when the HD receiver was activated.(Samsung or Hughes HD receivers @ Circuit City are $299 each.)
2. DTV would provide a new triple LNB dish & installation at no charge.

Dealing with DTV on this matter was like trying to buy something Tijuana (Mexico). I was essentially able to get the same deal as the old Customer Retention Program but it took some "working".

I wish they had a program like DISH that meant no up front cost on the receiver. Even the cable company does this. I don't have my HDTV yet, but because of the up front cost it will delay me getting the receiver.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)