Advice on new 6xx receivers

Frenchophile

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 12, 2008
MI
I'm making my annual trip to Canada in a couple weeks, which means I will be doing some shopping.

I currently have two 505s, one of which serves a "whole house" receiver

I am looking to upgrade both to 6xx series. I would love to have the convenience of DVR, but am worried about problems with a 630. the 605 would be a good alternative to the 505 and give flexibility of working in the whole house. the new 600 could work on the one tv.

so should I buy a 605 and 600 OR 630 and 600

If you plan to stay with them for any length of time in the futire get a 630, the major problems they had are either gone or are minor now since the latest firmware update. I couldn't even imagine not being able to record my programming.

update for the curious: I ended up getting a 630 and 605 and will be activating them in a couple weeks. I could not find 600 at multiple big box retailers in GTA and in southwest ontario. I went to different stores in Toronto over the week and I stopped at every best buy and future shop along 401/402 yesterday (Malton, Cambridge, London, and Sarnia, seven stores total). They all had 209's for $99.99 along with 630's and 605's; a few had 505's for $149.99. I am guessing they are trying to get rid of their inventory before stocking the new 600s

At the time you were in Canada the 600 was not released yet. You did well going with the 630 and 605, both are solid receivers. The 600 lacks some key features that the 605 and 630 have, such as UHF remote, a power button, and component cable hook ups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)