Advice on upgrade?

7racer

Original poster
Dec 25, 2004
Hello,

I'm just looking for some advice for upgrading my current DISH system. I've been happy with my current setup but have had some HD channels that are dropping. Probably something minor with alignment, but figured this might be a good time to see if there is anything would improve my set up.

I live in Dallas Texas. I have the follow Dish setup and am not sure I need or would benefit from one of the newer dishes. (still don't understand the differences in the current one)

I also have two 622 DVRs with one of them hooked to a slingbox. I think the 722 would be nice as I don't need the 922 correct?

Also, I saw some threads where they could connect you to the East satellites? One of things I wish I had was the BigTen network to watch OSU football. Would this allow me to do that?

Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• P1010612.jpg
    P1010612.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 180
You can get OSU football by ordering the Multisport pack. You'll see every Big 10 football game that way. It looks like you have a 110, 119, 61.5 setup, judging by the positions of the dishes. You are missing a number of HD channels with that configuration. Depending on where your HD locals are an eastern or western arc dish will accomplish everything you want as long as you order the multisport pack....

wow, thanks for the fast response.

So if I order the multisport pack, dish will install the appropriate dish that will take care of the HD channel issues? Or should I request a specific dish?

I have america's everything pack with HD platinum and thought I was missing some HD channels but from a previous call to CA they told me I had everything available. Is that not true? Have I been missing some channels with the current set up?

Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Last edited:
Do a Menu, 6, 1, 3 and tell us what satellites you are looking at. I am making the assumption that you have 61.5, 110,119 based on picture you posted. If that is correct, you are missing a bunch of HD channels that are on 72.7 and 129 exclusively.

Dallas locals are on both western arc dish 1000.2( 110/119/129) and on eastern arc dish 1000.4 ( 77/72.7/61.5). So it really doesn't matter which arc you choose, unless you want all mpeg 4 and then pick eastern arc.

Dallas locals are on both western arc dish 1000.2( 110/119/129) and on eastern arc dish 1000.4 ( 77/72.7/61.5). So it really doesn't matter which arc you choose, unless you want all mpeg 4 and then pick eastern arc.

I've been a long time lurker...and I think I read where some people had some signal issues on the eastern arc?
And IIRC the benefit of MPEG4 is smaller recording files on the DVR. Correct? I don't record that much so it's kinda a wash on that.

Thank you for all the replies.

If indeed I can get the 1000.4 or 1000.2 dish. Who should I speak to at Dish? Retentions? CS?

I've been a long time lurker...and I think I read where some people had some signal issues on the eastern arc?
And IIRC the benefit of MPEG4 is smaller recording files on the DVR. Correct? I don't record that much so it's kinda a wash on that.

If indeed I can get the 1000.4 or 1000.2 dish. Who should I speak to at Dish? Retentions? CS?

do a chat on their website, it will be easier to get across what you want done and you will have a record of what was said in the chat. just remember that you will require a tech visit, which will be around $95 you might be able to add the service and the cost would only be 15 dollars. when you start the chat tell them that you are missing channels first. explain that you have a mixed arc setup and that you need either a repoint of your wing dish that pulls in the 61.5 satellite to the 129 sat. they will either send out a person to swing your wing dish or replace them both with one of the 1000.4/.2 dishes. then ask to add the multisports pack to your account. hope you get it all worked out.

Signal issues are really not the problem with eastern arc now. They have launched two new satellites up there for 72.7 and 61.5 since last year and this year. The only sat that is still old is 77 sat and that is being used just for locals. Dallas locals are on 61.5 so you won't really even need 77 sat for anything. Next summer the 77 sat will be replaced.

The only problems people had two years ago was the older satellites were much weaker than the two new ones. Also poor alignment and dish pointing by techs and subs who don't know how to achieve maximum signal strength ,caused many problems. The eastern arc is a little more complicated to point and align compared to western arc dish, but I did it and get signals in the 60s on 72.7 , 45-70 on 61.5 and 40-50 on 77 sat , and I live near Beaumont,Texas.

thank you everyone for the feedback and pointers. I just got off of the online chat with the CS rep. They are giving me two 722's at no charge (I didn't ask but I think I have an expensive plan with them), upgraded me to the multisport pack and charge a $15 fee for the tech to come out tomorrow.

The only thing I am worried about is the tech not having the 1000.4 dish. The CS person didn't seem like he could verify that.

Will post back on the result of the install tomorrow...but thanks everyone again for the feedback.

Keep in mind that that second 722 is going to cost you $17 a month.....

thanks Bobby. You guys really know the in's and out's of Dish's system.

For my house, to run the second HD set I needed to receivers. They are far enough apart that I can't use one of the DVR to run the second TV.

I don't think as of right now there is any other way to do this besides have two 722's right?

I think this is one of the reason's I'm Dish's "most valued customers" as I pay a lot!:(

thanks Bobby. You guys really know the in's and out's of Dish's system.

For my house, to run the second HD set I needed to receivers. They are far enough apart that I can't use one of the DVR to run the second TV.

I don't think as of right now there is any other way to do this besides have two 722's right?

I think this is one of the reason's I'm Dish's "most valued customers" as I pay a lot!:(

Do you need a DVR at the 2nd location? If not a 211 would work just fine and cost $10 less a month. If you must have a DVR at the 2nd location and you don't need to share between the two with an external hard drive, you could add an external to that 211 for a one time charge of $40 and it is now a DVR with one tuner....

Do you need a DVR at the 2nd location? If not a 211 would work just fine and cost $10 less a month. If you must have a DVR at the 2nd location and you don't need to share between the two with an external hard drive, you could add an external to that 211 for a one time charge of $40 and it is now a DVR with one tuner....

dammit...that makes too much sense. HAHAHA let me see what they can do.

If you don't need PIP and don't need a 2nd SD TV output, then the VIP612 or a 211/211k/411 with DVR conversion would suffice and cost less. With a 722 as your main receiver, a 612 will cost $10/mo whereas now you pay $17/mo for your 2nd 622. A 211 will cost only $7/mo even with the DVR upgrade (which itself costs $40 one time only). Some people would not regard either of those options as an upgrade over a 622 due to lack of TV2 outputs, lack of PIP, and (in the case of the 211) lack of a 2nd sat tuner.

thanks again. The installer was pretty knowledgable. Unfortunately, he didn't have the 1000.X dish. He ended repointing mine and installed the 722's.

So far every looks great.

I can't believe all the HD channels I have been missing!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone.

Should I ask to upgrade the dish at any point in the future? Is there any benefit. The signal is pretty strong on 129 with about 65 ish strength.

thanks again. The installer was pretty knowledgable. Unfortunately, he didn't have the 1000.X dish. He ended repointing mine and installed the 722's.

So far every looks great.

I can't believe all the HD channels I have been missing!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again everyone.

Should I ask to upgrade the dish at any point in the future? Is there any benefit. The signal is pretty strong on 129 with about 65 ish strength.

i have a dish 500 for 110 & 119 and a 300 for 129 and mine has been rock solid for 3 years. i would say unless you are having major signal issues not to worry about the dish setup. sit back and enjoy your new channels. glad it all worked out for you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)