advise for external hard drive for 622

jeffincolo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2006
Hi,
I'm looking to purchase an external hard drive for my VIP 622. Does anyone own the:

Seagate FreeAgent Pro - 750GB, 7200 RPM, USB 2.0, eSATA, External Hard Drive - ST307504FPA1E2-RK - Includes 5 Year Warranty!!

I can get it for 165.00 at buy.com.

Does this seem like a decent deal and will this model work with the VIP622?

Thanks,
Jeff

Seagates have problems with current 622 software. Once it goes into sleep mode, it will not come back without powering down and back. You can disable the sleep mode. See sticky in Dish HD Discussion. Also, consider smaller drive(s). If one goes bad, you have less to lose. Bigger not better in this case.

Thanks for the heads up! Can you recommend a good one for me then? Perhaps the Western Digital WDG1U5000 My Book Essential Edition 500 GB USB 2.0 External Hard Drive?

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
I have been using the Western Digital My Book Essential 2.0 WDH1U5000N 500GB USB 2.0. I've had no problems at all with it over the last 6 months. Don't bother getting anything with more connection options as they will be not be used with the current receivers and cost more money. You can get these drives cheap when on sale, I paid $119.00. You can also get the 750 Gig drive on sale for around $150.00.

I have an extra western digital mybook 500GB premium edition that has both usb & firewire ports that is still sealed in the shrink wrap I am looking to sell. I had it posted in classifieds but the guy I had agreed on a trade with weaseled out so it is now available again. PM me or you can email me at mike2154@swbell.net if you are still looking for an external hard drive as this is the top of the line western digital drive.

I recommend multiple smaller hard drives.

If you experience a failure, you only lose part of your programs not all of them.

I am using 250 GB Seagate SATA 7200rpm drives with a SATA to usb 2.0 adapter.

I did slip the other day and picked up a 400GB SATA for $90 from Tiger direct, but the rest are 250GB drives.

I had a MyBook 500 fail on me so I certainly recommend you avoid them. Freeagent has shutdown issues, as stated above, so they are not a good choice now either.

If you really want to be careful, read the above links and buy drives meant for AV use, not data use. This is coming from someone using 2 data type drives. :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)