AEP vs 250 (2020)

Ray_Clum

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 10, 2005
Indianapolis, IN
I haven’t seen this recently, and the search option doesn’t work cleanly on my iPhone, so I’ll ask in a new thread...

Aside from Showtime and Starz, what channels are in AEP that aren’t in Top 250? It’s a $25 price difference and Showtime and Starz are $10 each... not sure what justifies the extra $5... unless AEP includes Dish Movie Pack (which I don’t think it does)...

Reactions: charlesrshell
I haven’t seen this recently, and the search option doesn’t work cleanly on my iPhone, so I’ll ask in a new thread...

Aside from Showtime and Starz, what channels are in AEP that aren’t in Top 250? It’s a $25 price difference and Showtime and Starz are $10 each... not sure what justifies the extra $5... unless AEP includes Dish Movie Pack (which I don’t think it does)...

There are also a few other channels besides the premium in the AEP. such as a few channels that require a seperate subscription some sports and business. Also, AEP ended up DROPPING a few channels some years ago, but current AEP subscribers at the time were grandfathered their original channels.

For me it is not so much the price differnece; it is the content difference. When I was AEP some years ago, there it really was a value if you wanted the premium movie channels--and their original content--and a number of per single subscription channels that did make it worth while for some people.

But some years ago, when streaming became viable, the premium movie channels started showing (and even MORE so today) more repeats and OLD movies we had already seen. Move Pack started to make less sense, as well, when I could get NEW movie content on Netflix or Amazon, and both those services has TV series not offered through Dish, so I watched the premium movie channels much LESS.

Also, because of more on-line content, I watched the few per single subscription channels much less, as well. So, I downgraded to 250, saved some money, and have been most satisfied since, and ONLY because there are a FEW channels I watch A LOT that are ONLY 250, otherwise, I would be happy to downgrade to to the next lower level.

When I set my EPG to show all UNsubscribed channels, there is not a single channel that is compelling to me that I would want to pay more--EXCEPT for BBC World, BUT ONLY if offered in HIGH DEFINITION, which Dish only offers in SD, so forget it.

For me, AEP lost both its VALUE and exclusivity on content that I can get on-line with lots more content for the same money. It would be interesting to hear what current AEP subscribers find it worth it to them to stay at AEP. That would be interesting.

I would like to drop down to the AT200 but I would lose he Smithsonian Channel.
I just went through this with my neighbor. He had AEP and wanted to lessen his bill. I did a study on what he watched and it came down to 250 or 200. For what he watches it would cost him $10 a month for Smithsonian and AHC. He elected to go 200.

I just went through this with my neighbor. He had AEP and wanted to lessen his bill. I did a study on what he watched and it came down to 250 or 200. For what he watches it would cost him $10 a month for Smithsonian and AHC. He elected to go 200.
Thanks for the info. I am going to call the Loyalty folks after 1 January and see if I can lock in, get a better deal, etc before the price increase. I am going to drop SHO & Starz, Movie Pack, and the Protect Plus. Also I own one of my H3s and two WJs. All this should help to lower my bill. Wife is retiring soon and on my A-- to lower bills. There goes my DISH Hobby! Did you lose your FOX local? If so, have you watched an OTA FOX local the next day yet!! :shh

Thanks for the info. I am going to call the Loyalty folks after 1 January and see if I can lock in, get a better deal, etc before the price increase. I am going to drop SHO & Starz, Movie Pack, and the Protect Plus. Also I own one of my H3s and two WJs. All this should help to lower my bill. Wife is retiring soon and on my A-- to lower bills. There goes my DISH Hobby! Did you lose your FOX local? If so, have you watched an OTA FOX local the next day yet!! :shh
I did not lose my Fox local but, unfortunately, my streaming devices all show Sacramento when it should be San Francisco so they did. So, I get no streaming from the Fox Sports app on the Fox channel. Interestingly enough it is only the Fox channel not the others. FS1 and 2 are fine. That doesn't affect my standalone Hulu account though so I can stream day after Fox if I wish. Of course I have an H3 so I can record anything I want.

I did not lose my Fox local but, unfortunately, my streaming devices all show Sacramento when it should be San Francisco so they did. So, I get no streaming from the Fox Sports app on the Fox channel. Interestingly enough it is only the Fox channel not the others. FS1 and 2 are fine. That doesn't affect my standalone Hulu account though so I can stream day after Fox if I wish. Of course I have an H3 so I can record anything I want.
Make a Hopper 3 OTA FOX PTAT timer and see what you get next day!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)