Aereo out-of-market question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
Can you sign up for Aereo, give them an address in the market you want to watch, and then receive out-of-market locals? I know their terms don't allow that, but theoretically, is it possible?

From what I understand, Aereo looks at the IP of the ISP you are using and if it is not within the DMA it will not allow you to log in. At least that's the story.

Aereo to my knowledge does use your actual location though I'm not sure they need to. They do need your credit card address to match your stated City address however. With streaming from the all the carriers quite common now, and all the streaming devices, I don't think there is an issue streaming your locals to wherever you are.
It is very easy to make your IP match where you say you are.

1: You have to pay with a credit card with a billing address based in the DMA you are located in.

2: They geolocate you with the IP address your internet provider hands out to you.

If both of those don't match, no tv for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts