After 12 years with Dish I called to cancel today.

tom231

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Wisconsin
I have always had Americas top 250 with HBO on auto pay. My current bill is $120 a month.The best deal the CSR offered me to stay was $83 a month, but I also had to drop down to the 200 channel tier and drop HBO. My brother called to cancel Direct and they offered to drop his bill from $110 to $37. Yes. They were going to drop his bill down to $37 for a year.
Needless to say, I went ahead and set up my cancellation for next month (end of contract) I would have stayed with a better deal. At least I have a few weeks to buy a Tivo and get it set up before Dish is gone. I'll miss dish anywhere the most.

I have always had Americas top 250 with HBO on auto pay. My current bill is $120 a month.The best deal the CSR offered me to stay was $83 a month, but I also had to drop down to the 200 channel tier and drop HBO. My brother called to cancel Direct and they offered to drop his bill from $110 to $37. Yes. They were going to drop his bill down to $37 for a year.
Needless to say, I went ahead and set up my cancellation for next month (end of contract) I would have stayed with a better deal. At least I have a few weeks to buy a Tivo and get it set up before Dish is gone. I'll miss dish anywhere the most.

If you get a Bolt, out of home streaming and downloads are available via the Tivo app. No Fire Stick support AFAIK though. I find the downloads to be more usable than the streaming FWIW.

In the same boat... but to be honest, if they offer me 87/month, I would probably stay. Not sure what equipment you have/ how many TVs you have, but that sounds like a good deal considering AT200 is 89.99 by itself with locals.

I saw that thread on the direct forums about crazy too good to be true retention deals, but I don’t expect Dish to match those. Those are crazy (almost like a loophole in their billing system) retention deals if they are still offering them.

In the same boat... but to be honest, if they offer me 87/month, I would probably stay. Not sure what equipment you have/ how many TVs you have, but that sounds like a good deal considering AT200 is 89.99 by itself with locals.

I saw that thread on the direct forums about crazy too good to be true retention deals, but I don’t expect Dish to match those. Those are crazy (almost like a loophole in their billing system) retention deals if they are still offering them.
The crazy thing is my brother still cancelled. He went with Directtv now and he didn't want to be in a contract.

The crazy thing is my brother still cancelled. He went with Directtv now and he didn't want to be in a contract.

That’s surprising.. since Directv now starts at 35/month... unless he had a discount for using ATT wireless.

Are u planning on using a cable card with your TiVo or cutting the cord with OTA?

Good luck to you. If OTT and satellite even off, price wise, in the future, you can always come back.

If I dropped 250, I might as well drop it all.

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
Dish pretty much offered me nearly free service on AT200 for a year when I cancelled after just over 17 years last year. It was too late as I already had Cox up and running with my Tivo's as a test on a 2 play bundle for a month and was locked into that deal.

That’s surprising.. since Directv now starts at 35/month... unless he had a discount for using ATT wireless.

Are u planning on using a cable card with your TiVo or cutting the cord with OTA?
I'm just going ota for now, even though Charter/Spectrum sends me a mailer every damn week. I have their internet service.

Reactions: pattykay
I sell spectrum.

The nice part is if you do the triple play they will give you the $89.99 promo as if you where a new customer. Then they will buy out your contract with the other provider.
That is a great deal, but my mom has spectrum and their technology is horrible. The guide on her cable box looks like it's from the 80's. It's pretty bad. Granted, she doesn't have a DVR so those may be better. IDK.

Spectrum equipment is awful. They would be ok if you never had a whole home DVR, but once you have that it’s hard to go back to individual DVRs. And going back to 2 tuners is a tough sell. The only way I’d go to spectrum for TV is if I got a TiVo but the up front cost is quite steep.

The good thing about spectrum is their internet. Base starts at 200mbps for 65 where I am. (no promo).

I'm just going ota for now, even though Charter/Spectrum sends me a mailer every damn week. I have their internet service.

Just an FYI. I just cut the cable also. Bought a Bolt off of eBay and before it even arrived was told by my SIL I should get the Tablo instead. Put the TiVo back on eBay and lost a whole $3 on the quick turn. The Tablo subscription service is $10 lease than TiVo and no extender ($100+) needed to watch in other rooms. I bought the 4 tuner model and am very happy with it so far. Signed up with Sling TV and now have everything I used and watched before for about $60 less a month. Both the Tablo and Sling are a little quirky but it’s a short learning curve.

Spectrum equipment is awful. They would be ok if you never had a whole home DVR, but once you have that it’s hard to go back to individual DVRs. And going back to 2 tuners is a tough sell. The only way I’d go to spectrum for TV is if I got a TiVo but the up front cost is quite steep.

The good thing about spectrum is their internet. Base starts at 200mbps for 65 where I am. (no promo).

Totally depends on where you live. Locally for me, you can get a 6 tuner DVR with their new UI (still sucks IMHO), and they still do not offer a real whole-home experience. Our base Internet is 100/10Mbps for $45, with 300/30Mbps available for $70 (non-promo) the last time I checked. Of course, many people here can also get Gig fiber from AT&T or Google or Ting or Frontier, depending on your neighborhood, so Spectrum has to compete a bit.

Totally depends on where you live. Locally for me, you can get a 6 tuner DVR with their new UI (still sucks IMHO), and they still do not offer a real whole-home experience. Our base Internet is 100/10Mbps for $45, with 300/30Mbps available for $70 (non-promo) the last time I checked. Of course, many people here can also get Gig fiber from AT&T or Google or Ting or Frontier, depending on your neighborhood, so Spectrum has to compete a bit.

True it depends on where you live. I’m in a legacy TWC area that used to have the 6 tuner whole home DVR.. had one. They were awful, but better than none.. for example, you could only create a timer on the main DVR unit... or on the app.

All the DVRs here are 2 tuner dinosaurs from years past. It seems like your pricing is better for stand alone internet. Base here is 65 for 200.. no promo because spectrum doesn’t give promos after initial one.. at least not to be. But then again, we don’t have broadband competition where I am outside of a major city. For me it’s either Spectrum or DSL from Frontier.

True it depends on where you live. I’m in a legacy TWC area that used to have the 6 tuner whole home DVR.. had one. They were awful, but better than none.. for example, you could only create a timer on the main DVR unit... or on the app.

All the DVRs here are 2 tuner dinosaurs from years past. It seems like your pricing is better for stand alone internet. Base here is 65 for 200.. no promo because spectrum doesn’t give promos after initial one.. at least not to be. But then again, we don’t have broadband competition where I am outside of a major city. For me it’s either Spectrum or DSL from Frontier.

We're in legacy TWC land too, but they are still offering the Arris 6 tuner "whole home" DVRs if you are willing to pay the roughly $30/month fee for it.

I have 2 Bolt 500 I am no longer using.

If you are interested make me an offer.

Good luck to you. If OTT and satellite even off, price wise, in the future, you can always come back.

If I dropped 250, I might as well drop it all.

I totally agree. I was unhappy the Dish did not include BBC World in AT250, but for the money AT250 still is not a bad deal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts