After the bad weather

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Swamp_Rat

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 3, 2009
South Florida
A week or so ago we had a solid week of rain and hard winds here in south Florida.
My 6' Fortec started acting up. It became a little blocky on all the channels. I checked signal quality and it is still pretty close to where it was before. Went to the dish and noticed every few seconds I would hear a bit of noise coming from the servo. Obviously where the problem is. Question I have is the servo failing or is it a problem with the DSR922?
Thanks in advance!

Rat, some of those later-model c-band receivers had a search feature, it may be in the menu someplace for the 4DTV. It was intended to have the receiver search for a scrambled channel, if the receiver was left on an analog channel for a length of time. That way it could keep your descramblers activated. I have a couple of Gen Instruments boxes that do that, drove me crazy for awhile, until I found it in the menu. I can disable it on these receivers, not sure about the 922 or 920s.

The only reason I questioned the 922 was I was wondering if it was sending pulses to the servo causing it to act like it is. As I said every 8-10 seconds it sounds like it is starting to change polarity then locks back where it was.
I guess I'll pick up a servo and start there.

Thanks for the help!

Marty

The only reason I questioned the 922 was I was wondering if it was sending pulses to the servo causing it to act like it is. As I said every 8-10 seconds it sounds like it is starting to change polarity then locks back where it was.
I guess I'll pick up a servo and start there.

Thanks for the help!

Marty

OK maybe its not looking for a VC channel to lock on. My receivers that will do that, seemed to only switch about every 10min or so. I could be outside working near the dishes, and I would hear the whir of the polarotor once in a while. I thought the same thing at first, took several days until I figured it out. Either way it would likely wear out the little motor in a short time!

It could be that the strong winds may have off set the dish. Try turning the dish left and right very slowly to see if that clear the problem. First make sure you mark on the pole and lip of the mount to where you know the original place the dish rest.
Also there may be moisture somewhere in the servo. Check for loose connection of where the polarity wires are joined together. Check the servo motor for possible cracks where moisture could seep in.
Check all the connections between the 922 and dish to make sure they.re intact.
Wouldn't hurt to check the pole's plumpness as well, especially if the dish have been there quite some time.

The dish is actually still good considering it blew 40 here at times. With work I have not had a chance to get a new servo but I think that will solve the problem.

Thanks again for the advice.

Marty

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)