Again with the Random Thoughts

SandraC

On Vacation
Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
NJ
1. Somewhere in Jersey, around 5:30 PM this past Sunday, Willie Randolph was smiling.

2. How surreal was it for the Mets to hold a celebration 30 minutes after yet another gut-wrenching, heart-breaking, season-ending defeat? 'Now introducing Ray Knight, a former Met who actually came through when the game was on the line'...

3. Lenny Dykstra looks like he lost 100 pounds of upper body strength.

4. How appropriate is it that the single most important, most memorable play in the history of Shea Stadium was an error?

5. So the Rangers play a game in Bern, Switzerland, yesterday, and 12,000 of the 17,000 in attendance are in the upper deck...and they're all standing. Don't the Swiss have fire codes? Or chairs?

6. Today the Rangers play again in Bern, but they're playing a team from the Russian league, Metallisk Meta-blah-blah-blah-burg.

7. Peter Nedved is invited to camp, he's actually one of the best Rangers on the ice during pre-season games, but he gets cut anyway. I'm more than Ok with him not making the team, but what was the point of him attending camp in the first place? Now it seems like a waste of everyone's time.

8. The Knicks invited Alan Houston to camp, to start the process all over again.

9. Henrik, I would like some swiss chocolates please...oh, and perhaps a ring too. ;)

10. Oregon State's defeat of USC moves Jim Tressel down one more notch in my coaching book. He's still pretty high up there, but he dropped a notch...again.

11. So that's it for Todd Boeckman?

12. Troy Smith had a tonsil infection and lost 30 POUNDS? My goodness.

13. ESPN wants the olympics? Please don't let that happen. I don't need two weeks of Dick Vitale and Chris Berman yelling at me, and everything ESPN-iffied', dumbed-down, cross-promoted, and rammed down our throats until we're sick of it.

14. Here is my 'must' list of world soccer stadiums...Old Trafford in Manchester, Stamford Bridge and Wembley in London, Anfield in Liverpool, San Siro in Milan, Nou Camp in Barcelona (I was there two summers ago for a tour of the stadium...now I want to see a game), Le Bernabeu in Madrid, Azteca in Mexico City, La Bombonera in Buenos Aires, Maracana in Rio de Janeiro, Stadio Olimpico in Rome (I was in Rome too, didn't make it to the stadium), and Ibrox and Celtic Park in Glasgow.

14a. One of the things I love about the stadiums is all of the charming names...and there are so many more...White Hart Lane...The Dell...The Baseball Ground (a soccer stadium in England called the Baseball Ground!)...Craven Cottage...Highbury...The Valley...Villa Park...The Hawthorns...Carrow Road...St. Andrew's Ground...Selhurst Park...Vicarage Road...City Ground...Loftus Road...

15. My North America list has Wrigley Field, Lambeau Field, Cameron Indoor...and that's all I can think of right now. I've been to Fenway, the Palestra, Dodger Stadium, the Coliseum (and the Colosseum in Rome), Soldier Field, and the Horseshoe. Oh, and any stadium in Hawaii! Or Bora Bora, or Tahiti, or...

16. Also on my 'must' list is a game in Glasgow between Rangers and Celtic. That rivalry makes Yankees/Red Sox, Duke/North Carolina, Ohio State/Michigan and Cowboys/Giants seem like a friendly game in the park.

17. Seems odd to not be training for a specific race anymore.

18. I think this guy Zherdev is going to drive me crazy. Tom Renney too.

19. Al Davis, enough already with the Raiduhs, Raiduhs Raiduhs, stuff. We get it already...get over it.

20. I felt bad for Kim Kardashian when she was voted off last night...she seemed like she was going to cry. And from the footage of her practicing, she seemed much more genuine and likeable than those reality shows made her out to be.

21. Watched Knocked Up, it's a terrific movie. Didn't like The 40-Year-Old Virgin, also by Judd Apatow, but Knocked up was great.

22. Friday Night Lights is back tonight!

23. Oh, also on my list is attending a high school football game in Texas, and high school basketball game in Indiana.

24. Cubs, Phillies, Angels and Rays. Going with the chalk. Hey, it happend in the NCAA tournament last year!

25. I can't decide whethere I like or dislike Ozzie Guillen.

26. I think if every NCAA team somehow winds up with five losses, and Ohio State winds up with one, the writers still won't invite the Buckeyes into the national embarassment - er, I mean championship - game.

27. I love NFL shortcuts.

28. Brooke Burke and Toni Braxton are my favorites...they're amazing dancers, and their partners are even better.

29. Why is Pete Carroll always walking when the camera shows him on the sidelines? Where is he going anyway? One day he's going to lose track and wind up in the parking lot.

30. I got used to seeing Joe Torre in a Dodger uniform, but Don Mattingly looks ridiculous wearing anything but pinstripes.

Sandra

Last edited:

I doubt it. You may need the experience of an upperclassman QB at times while playing a night game at Camp Randall Stadium next week in Wisconsin.

I feel bad for Troy. If it wasn't for this infection, he would've finally got a legitamite shot at the starting QB position in Baltimore with Boller being out. Instead, the rookie Flacco took over.

17. Seems odd to not be training for a specific race anymore.

I bet Michael Phelps feels the same way.

FNL is my favorite show on TV by far. Can't wait!

8. The Knicks invited Alan Houston to camp, to start the process all over again.
Somebody's gotta knock down those three-pointers.

20. I felt bad for Kim Kardashian when she was voted off last night...she seemed like she was going to cry. And from the footage of her practicing, she seemed much more genuine and likeable than those reality shows made her out to be.
I had her winning it all. She's gone, yet Cloris Leachman stays? WHERE'S THE JUSTICE?'

It's a nice show, but other than Minka Kelly, I don't have much interest in the other characters.

9. Henrik, I would like some swiss chocolates please...oh, and perhaps a ring too.

We've got a Hendrick that can get the Swiss Chocolate and already has the RING !
Oh, that's Hendrick Zetterberg, the BEST all around player in HOCKEY :)

Like HDMM said, he'll be needed again, it would help if the offensive line could block more efficiently, Beockman would probably still be in there, although, the change to Pryor in my mind was done at the right time and I like the move.

Yes, I was hoping he was better by now or earlier actually, he definatly lost his shot this year, hopefully he will recover soon.
Has anyone heard anything else about him and his condition ?

13. ESPN wants the olympics? Please don't let that happen. I don't need two weeks of Dick Vitale and Chris Berman yelling at me, and everything ESPN-iffied', dumbed-down, cross-promoted, and rammed down our throats until we're sick of it.

Look at it this way, ESPN has 5 channels not including the ABC portion , so they would be able to cover the Olympics and people would actually be able to SEE what want.

26. I think if every NCAA team somehow winds up with five losses, and Ohio State winds up with one, the writers still won't invite the Buckeyes into the national embarassment - er, I mean championship - game.
At this point, voters would rather put Texas Tech in the BCS title game.
Sandy, I don't see them making title game- they'll probably play in the Outback or Capital One Bowl. They are still good, but I think Penn State is a better team.

At this point, voters would rather put Texas Tech in the BCS title game.
Sandy, I don't see them making title game- they'll probably play in the Outback or Capital One Bowl. They are still good, but I think Penn State is a better team.

You can see that match up October 25th 8 pm, probably on ABC or ESPN.:up

Jimbo

9. Henrik, I would like some swiss chocolates please...oh, and perhaps a ring too.

We've got a Hendrick that can get the Swiss Chocolate and already has the RING !
Oh, that's Hendrick Zetterberg, the BEST all around player in HOCKEY :)

Who cares...he's ugly. :D

Great player, but he can keep his ring.

Sandra

16. Also on my 'must' list is a game in Glasgow between Rangers and Celtic. That rivalry makes Yankees/Red Sox, Duke/North Carolina, Ohio State/Michigan and Cowboys/Giants seem like a friendly game in the park.

Cowboys/Redskins are the biggest rivalry in the NFL.

Ok besides the ones I mentioned, Cowboys/Redskins, Steelers/Browns, Packers/Bears, Raiders/The World, Jets/Patriots, and anything else that affects your part of the world...

...STILL does not come close to comparing to the Celtic/Rangers rivalry in Glasgow. Not even in the same ballpark, so to speak.

Talk about partisan followings!

Sandra

Ok besides the ones I mentioned, Cowboys/Redskins, Steelers/Browns, Packers/Bears, Raiders/The World, Jets/Patriots, and anything else that affects your part of the world...

...STILL does not come close to comparing to the Celtic/Rangers rivalry in Glasgow. Not even in the same ballpark, so to speak.

Talk about partisan followings!

Sandra

If we've never heard of these teams, how can this be such an epic rivalry as you describe? Is this soccer, cricket or bocci ball franchises?

Maybe outside of the US it's intense, but sure as hell not here.

If we've never heard of these teams, how can this be such an epic rivalry as you describe? Is this soccer, cricket or bocci ball franchises?

Maybe outside of the US it's intense, but sure as hell not here.

Just because in Ohio you may not have heard of the teams doesn't mean it's not an epic rivalry. Even though people in Europe care nothing about Duke/North Carolina, the Dean Dome will still be rocking in January when they play each other.

This is not about a comparison between soccer and football, or any other American sport. My point was I want to make it to a Celtic/Ranger 'Old Firm' matchup once in my life, to experience the crazed atmosphere when these ultra-intense rivals play each other.

Trust me nobody likes football more than me, but that doesn't mean I never want to go out of the country to see games played in these immortal stadiums. Manchester United fans never have to ask their fans to be be louder, like New York Giants fans are right now!

Sandra

Glad to see the Random Thoughts returning, Sandy.

BTW, two questions:

1. Why haven't you bragged about your Jets and Favre? You're a Jets fan, yet I haven't heard ANYTHING from you about the J-E-T-S.

2. I haven't heard a good Islander joke in quite some time. Any new ones?

Glad to see the Random Thoughts returning, Sandy.

BTW, two questions:

1. Why haven't you bragged about your Jets and Favre? You're a Jets fan, yet I haven't heard ANYTHING from you about the J-E-T-S.

2. I haven't heard a good Islander joke in quite some time. Any new ones?

Too much to focus on, I suppose. And being a Jet fan is kinda like being a Cub fan...you appreciate the good times, but you're always waiting for the inevitable to happen. I don't think there is any doubt for the first time in his career Favre will miss a start sometime this year...because he's playing for the Jets.

As for the ugly step-child of the NHL, this is starting to turn into a 'be careful what you ask for' scenario. I'm starting to think they really will finish last overall, which means finishing first in the John Tavares sweepstakes.

Bad thought.

Sandra

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)