ahh another newb question on alignment

GuinnessFat

Original poster
Feb 13, 2005
a newbie on the boards. And a newb question:)

I just bought a new Dish system and I'm hooking it up myself as I'm out in the middle of nowhere :lol: Now my dish alignment meter never fires up even though I have the correct azimuth and pitch. 119 west was what I was told to click. My mount is correct and things look ok. Connections are fine, all I'm having trouble with is signal.

is this program accurate?
http://www3.telus.net/rampage/skew.htm

I'm lost when it comes to skew and transponder.

Can someone give me a hand? Things are getting frustrating:D...

Hi welcome to satellite guys!
You need to select dish 500 dual to get the proper skew settings.

When you still get stuck come back with more questions and I can happily answer them :)

GuinnessFat said:
is this program accurate?
http://www3.telus.net/rampage/skew.htm

I'm lost when it comes to skew and transponder.

Can someone give me a hand? Things are getting frustrating:D...

Would probably get just as accurate results on the signal level meter screen by entering your zip code (menu 6-1-1)

Rule one, make sure your mast is plumb and level - no exceptions!.
Rule two, set the skew first and leave it.

If the mast is level and you set the elevation angle correctly, simply pan east to west until you hit the birds, then verify 110 is 110 and 119 is 119 (each LNB can pick up the other)

After peaking the dish make sure to do a switch test and the rest should fall into place.

hey guys thanks. My mast is level. That's ok.
Rule two, set the skew first and leave it.
I threw in my zip code and my skew should be 93. What is that and how do I set it on my dish. The manual didn't mention it :no

There is no skew written on my dish. Is it the adjustment that moves the whole unitforwards/backwards? The hinge at the bottom? If that's it there is nothing indicating what it is.

it's the setting that rotates (spins) the dish in a clock motion, trying my best to describe it ;)

BFG said:
it's the setting that rotates (spins) the dish in a clock motion, trying my best to describe it ;)
What does the writing on your dish say? Does it have a 500 on it?

There is nothing like you discribe BFG

nor a 500 on it rcwilcox

I'll try again. I called it new because it's new to me. My mistake. The dish is about 3 years old.

Oh so you only have a dish 300. Well that will only look at 1 satellite. The typical satellite used is a dish 500 which looks at 2 satellites. It's time for an upgrade ;)

It's a Bell system but I just moved to the States and when I picked up a Dish account they told me I can use my old system. Must I buy a new one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)