Air antenna, need help

frankywalrus

Original poster
Mar 19, 2011
yuma
Hello, this is my first post, so thank you all for you help.
I have dish now for a week, I have 3 receivers and 4 tvs. 2 receivers are vip211k, and 1 is vip222k. 3 tvs are hd and the other one is not. Before I have dish, i use an air antenna and i was able to pick my local hd channels. Also because I live close to mexico I use to pick up the local non hd channels with the same antenna. Now with dish I have my locals hd, but I will like to use my air antenna so i can see my Mexican channels at least on 1 tv. I have 2 splitter combiner switch. Any ideas on how can i manage to see those médica channels?? Thanks in advance for your help.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys! If the switches you have are diplexors put one in line outside by the dish (on the dish RG6 feed to the house)hook your antenna to it, then put one in the house near your TV also on the RG6 being careful to note which input or output is which. Then run coax from the inside switch to you TV and you should be good to go.

Thanks for the fast reply, we're i want the air antenna is on my dual receiver (vip222). Outside the house there is one switche. Holland brand it has satellite in and a satellite out and a vhf/uhf out. Where should I put one of the diplexor outside???

... Also because I live close to mexico I use to pick up the local non hd channels with the same antenna. Now with dish I have my locals hd, but I will like to use my air antenna so i can see my Mexican channels at least on 1 tv. ...
I guess I'll be the one to ask. Are the Mexican TV stations digital (ATSC) or analog (NTSC)?

I don't get it. The switch that is outside on side is connected to the dish antenna, one side is connected to my vip222 dual receiver, and the other side is connected to my non hd tv.

I don't get it. The switch that is outside on side is connected to the dish antenna, one side is connected to my vip222 dual receiver, and the other side is connected to my non hd tv.

Send us a picture, it would help allot so we know what you are telling us about. OK I just looked up Yuma, AZ on TV Fool looks like the TV channels down Mexico way are analog NTSC. You can't get those thru the Dish receivers. http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3d8d1737d282a0d1

Last edited:
I would connect the Dish receivers to your hdtv's via hdmi cable. You could get the ota module for the 211k's then they will be able to pick up the Mexican hd stations. I would use a conventional splitter on your coax and feed your Dish receivers ota input and your tv's coax input. That way you can watch any digital ota through the Dish receiver and then switch to the antenna input of the tv to watch the Mexican non digital signal.

I would connect the Dish receivers to your hdtv's via hdmi cable. You could get the ota module for the 211k's then they will be able to pick up the Mexican hd stations. I would use a conventional splitter on your coax and feed your Dish receivers ota input and your tv's coax input. That way you can watch any digital ota through the Dish receiver and then switch to the antenna input of the tv to watch the Mexican non digital signal.

Thank you dwarren2, i understand all that, but I need to use the same rg6 cable. I want to combine the satellite signal and the ota signal. Let me explain how the setup of the cable is outside. 3 cables came from the satellite dish(roof). 2 of those cables goes to a 2 211 receivers.
The other cable is connected to the switch comment on this treat, one of the output of this switch goes to my 222 dual receivet, and the other output goes directly to my non hd tv.
This is were I want my ota signal be connected, on my 222. And I don't know we're to connect those diplexer that I have. Thanks in advance.

... OK I just looked up Yuma, AZ on TV Fool looks like the TV channels down Mexico way are analog NTSC. You can't get those thru the Dish receivers. ...
I asked about this in Post #5 above and was replied to by the OP in Post 6 above. :confused:

To clarify, are the stations from Mexico that you want to receive in analog or digital? The 222 can only handle a digital signal. Someone with more knowledge than I can tell you if it's even possible to combine an ota antenna with the dish's cable. I know in my situation I have separate cables from my ota and dish to each TV.

To clarify, are the stations from Mexico that you want to receive in analog or digital? The 222 can only handle a digital signal. Someone with more knowledge than I can tell you if it's even possible to combine an ota antenna with the dish's cable. I know in my situation I have separate cables from my ota and dish to each TV.

Analog and digital. And I don't want to use the 222, i just want to use the cable rg6 to combine both signals. I will use my hd tv ota in to watch those channels. That's the way I have it before I have dish. Thanks

Seeing your using the "diplexer" to feed tv2 already, you need to run a 2nd coax from the OTA. can't use more than 2 diplexers in one line.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Seeing your using the "diplexer" to feed tv2 already, you need to run a 2nd coax from the OTA. can't use more than 2 diplexers in one line.

Ok. I have 3 cables caming out from the dish. Can I feed directly from one of those cables tv2????

If I understand your original post, you already have tv2 hooked up,(3 receivers, 4 tv's). So you should have a diplexer coming off the line feeding the dual tuner. If your asking if you can hook the OTA to tv2 using that line, where the lines comes from the dish to the first diplexer you could use a splitter backwards as a combiner and feed the antenna signal to tv2. If your modulated channel for Dish is a local channel number you would need to change that to something else in your receiver menu (menu, 6, 1, 5). Make sure the new modulated channel is at least 2 numbers from any local channel to lessen the chance for interference.

My understanding is that he wants to combine the ota and the dish signal outside and then split them inside. One feed to his dish receiver and the other to his coax input of the TV.

dwarren2 said:
My understanding is that he wants to combine the ota and the dish signal outside and then split them inside. One feed to his dish receiver and the other to his coax input of the TV.

That would work with the 211 receivers diplexed, but if the dual is diplexed he can't do it with the dual tuner receiver, unless it's a straight backfeed w/ no diplexer for the dual.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts