Air flow direction for Hopper with Sling

Tony S

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
Hills of Eastern CT
Has anyone looked inside of the HWS to see what direction the air flow is? With my old 722K, I had a small fan sucking air out of the rear of the left side panel. Where would I put the equivalent fan on my HWS? It feels warm to the touch lately.

Is there a fan in the HWS? If yes, I have never heard it running.

Has anyone looked inside of the HWS to see what direction the air flow is? With my old 722K, I had a small fan sucking air out of the rear of the left side panel. Where would I put the equivalent fan on my HWS? It feels warm to the touch lately.

Is there a fan in the HWS? If yes, I have never heard it running.

My HWS fans are mounted on the right side and they suck the hot air out.

HWS Fans.jpg

HAHA thats funny right there.... But anyways yeah normally when I plugged in the hopper you normally hear the fans go on really quick then stop. The fans are actually pretty darn quite. Also with the hopper its not really abnormal for it to feel a little warm to the touch at the top.

View attachment 99012

The Hopper fan is on the left and pulls air out. So for optimal airflow I would recommend placing an add-on fan on the left side sucking air out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

I have one Hopper in a cabinet (side fans aren't an option with this cabinet), and place the Hopper upon the laptop fan to great success in keeping it at a good temp preventing overheating problems.

The Hopper fan is on the left and pulls air out. So for optimal airflow I would recommend placing an add-on fan on the left side sucking air out.

There is a discrepancy here! Does the Hopper with Sling pull air out of the left or right side? Has charlesrshell been bucking the normal air flow with his setup?

Reactions: navychop
There is a discrepancy here! Does the Hopper with Sling pull air out of the left or right side? Has charlesrshell been bucking the normal air flow with his setup?

Damn, I had a brain fart. The fan on the left actually blows air in. So Charlesrshell's setup is optimal.

Positive pressure isn't as efficient as negative pressure, but I figure Dish went with positive pressure to minimize dust collection on the internal parts.

Checked my 722k, the fan is also on the left and blows air inward.

I feel a little warm air coming out my add on fans that are mounted on the right side. Does anyone know what temp the Hopper fan comes on? Wouldn't it be ok if fans draw air out of both sides of the Hopper since the Hopper case has vents on the bottom? I just took a flashlite and looked at all my Hopper's fans on the left side, two Hoppers' fans are on now and the other two the fans are off. WOW, I have never heard the Hopper fans come on except during the start of a reboot, they sure are quiet. The two Hoppers that the fans are presently on are my warmest running Hoppers due to the ambient temp where they are located. All four of my Hoppers have the dual 50mm fans mounted on the right side and all have fan speed set to suck air out slow. Attached are my Hopper/Joey temps that I check occasionally.

Attachments

• Hopper - Joey Temps.pdf
    64.8 KB · Views: 238
Damn, I had a brain fart. The fan on the left actually blows air in. So Charlesrshell's setup is optimal.

Positive pressure isn't as efficient as negative pressure, but I figure Dish went with positive pressure to minimize dust collection on the internal parts.

Checked my 722k, the fan is also on the left and blows air inward.

My wife says I brain fart all the time!! :shh

bought a $5 fan at Walmart and blow it on the HWS and have not had any heat problems yet. Cheaper than a laptop fan.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)