AirTV black box service notice

comfortably_numb

Dogs have owners, cats have staff
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 30, 2011
Kansas City / Las Vegas
There is currently an issue with iOS-based Sling apps with regards to AirTV setup.

When a user attempts to configure the AirTV for local channels, the setup works all the way until the screen that says "Starting stream." At that point, the application hangs.

I called AirTV support and they said this is a known issue. Their suggested solution is "Use an Android device."

There is currently an issue with iOS-based Sling apps with regards to AirTV setup.

When a user attempts to configure the AirTV for local channels, the setup works all the way until the screen that says "Starting stream." At that point, the application hangs.

I called AirTV support and they said this is a known issue. Their suggested solution is "Use an Android device."

Wow. That isn't exactly encouraging.

They're alienating 50% of their customer base.
Do you know that iDevices make up at least half of the user base? My guess is that it is much closer to 30% or less. Either way we are both throwing darts.

iOS isn't easy to keep up but it seems that they should be making a much better effort to be sure. Perhaps their user base is much less iOS oriented than either of us surmise and they've made a business decision to not push for an updated version. They can wring quite few years out of DTV given the snail's pace that Next Gen TV seems to be moving at.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Do you know that iDevices make up at least half of the user base? My guess is that it is much closer to 30% or less. Either way we are both throwing darts.

iOS isn't easy to keep up but it seems that they should be making a much better effort to be sure. Perhaps their user base is much less iOS oriented than either of us surmise and they've made a business decision to not push for an updated version. They can wring quite few years out of DTV given the snail's pace that Next Gen TV seems to be moving at.

Current iOS market share is 47% in the US. Might be less than that for AirTV owners though.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
I was able to successfully configure my AirTV today using an Android phone, however, I had to call customer service as my account wasn't set up as a "freemium account" (their terminology, not mine). It's as if they're trying to make it as difficult as possible to configure one of these things.

I will say they have excellent US-based customer service.

With the vip211k Dish receiver that has the OTA module, the local guide has been messed up for sometime now, showing the wrong programming on the main nets. I have a Fire TV, so I bought a Recast (normally $229, now for Amazon Prime members, $129), so I thought I would give it a try. It works great, giving me a free 2 week guide and it is totally accurate. Plus all of our 16 translators have guides.

Current iOS market share is 47% in the US. Might be less than that for AirTV owners though.
As of June 2019 iOS worldwide market share is 22% and dropping rapidly. For a while Samsung was #1 and Apple was #2 but in 2018 Huawei passed Apple for market share, dropping it to #3. Apple is declining and the fact that iOS is a proprietary locked OS isn't helping. In the future you're going to find fewer hardware mfgs that will be willing to spend money trying to get their products working with anything running on iOS.

According to this research iOS activations as of Dec 2018 were 37%, down from nearly 55% just 4 years earlier. That trend is expected to continue so expect to see a decline in 3rd party iOS support as well.

The days of 'Android Switchers' to iOS being a Selling point in the U.S. Market appears to be close to Dead

As of June 2019 iOS worldwide market share is 22% and dropping rapidly. For a while Samsung was #1 and Apple was #2 but in 2018 Huawei passed Apple for market share, dropping it to #3. Apple is declining and the fact that iOS is a proprietary locked OS isn't helping. In the future you're going to find fewer hardware mfgs that will be willing to spend money trying to get their products working with anything running on iOS.

According to this research iOS activations as of Dec 2018 were 37%, down from nearly 55% just 4 years earlier. That trend is expected to continue so expect to see a decline in 3rd party iOS support as well.

The days of 'Android Switchers' to iOS being a Selling point in the U.S. Market appears to be close to Dead

Yeah, Android is definitely winning overall, but in the US (where AirTV is a viable product), iOS is actually growing and Android is losing ground lately:

Mobile OS market share in the U.S. 2019 | Statista

statistic_id266572_us-smartphone-market-share-2012-2019-by-month.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)