Not open for further replies.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I'm in the process of adding a Garage to my house. ( converting a built in car port) I have an alarm system now. I was wondering how you people do your alarm system with a Garage door opener.

The idea is to open the garage door from a remote in the car. Is this secure? How easy is this for someone to send a radio control and open your door?

Then if secure, how do you deactivate the alarm in time once the garage door is opening you drive in get out and by now, I'm sure the time to punch in your access code is long past.

I was wondering if there is a remote alarm panel you could punch in your alarm code from the car?

Any thoughts?

If the alarm system you have has wireless capability, you can get a wireless key fob to arm and disarm your system from the car. If you use a key fob, be sure to disable wireless supervision because if you take it off premises, it will create a system trouble condition on the keypad in your house. Also, if you put the overhead garage door on a separate zone, you can define it as an auxiliary delay zone and, depending on the panel you have, give it an entry/exit delay of up to 5 minutes.

If your alarm system has the "Force Alarm Enable" feature add it to the garage door zone. This feature allows you to arm the system with the door up, take your time getting out. When the door comes down and secures it becomes part of the secured system. I just define a longer delay for the garage door when entering.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I like the idea of the keyfob the best but it most likely will require a new control box. My system is not that new and was one of those "Free with 2 year monitoring contract" deals so it probably was the cheapest level technology of its day. I do have 4 PIR and every door now has contacts plus smoke detectors and fire alarm which are now required by law in this city. It does work well and my false alarm response time has been most excellent here. But this new garage door issue has opened up many questions about how to deal with the re-entry. Time, maybe to consider a basic upgrade.

Also I like the rolling code feature too.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)