Alaskan stations scrambled

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TomP

Original poster
Oct 3, 2004
Has anyone noticed that the Alaskan stations have scrambled? Has this happened before? Or are they gone forever? :(

they're gone. The cable company up there (who was using them) scrmabled them. They said it was to have been done a year or so ago :)

Tom they have been gone a week or so now,lyngsat got them using some
encryption I've never heard of, dvb compel, whatever that means,after You posted, I did a google search, came up with this. http://www.parabolic.se/files/DS_COMPELa.pdf
anyway, maybe they will back sometime, for us to enjoy. maybe somebody else will shed some light on the subject.

this was posted in the C-band area b y a member

According to KTUU Chief Engineer, the Alaska MUX was encrypted by GCI, when they finally got their transmission problems solved. The Email I got said that they had planned to encrypt all along, but had problems due to transmission. I looked up GCI on the net and they are the communications company that handles cable, long distance telephone service and internet service in Alaska, so I guess they want to be assured that Alaska customers have to pay to get their service.
KTUU is the NBC station
GCI is the cable company

Compel is the same system that FX uses. When FX scrambled it was intermittent for about a year. Each time it was in the clear it was shorter than the time before until it never came back. I still have KKTU programmed in, so if it ever comes back, I will let you all know.

I now notice that I am about 9K behind the Iceberg.

That's one story cirulating. Another story is that there was a complaint filed by an OTA affilate of a major network that expressed concerns about viewers in their area being able to watch the alaska affiliate on FTA satellite as opposed to their local affiliate, particularly on sunday afternoons when football games that might be blacked out in their area might be on. Anyway rumor has it, this prompted the network to contact CGI and put pressure on them to encrypt their signal.

Whatever the reason it has been a MAJOR hit for the hobby. I would go as far to say I would PAY for that mux :(

That is really too bad Alaska is off the air.

I'd love to be able to watch programs I missed. Being on the west coast Alaska and Hawaii are about the only options to do that. No Hawaii on FTA is there? I've never seen any except for KGMB wild feeds.

Really a bummer!

Missing PID's ?

I scanned the alaska mux today and it stored 6 channels with no PIDs or Program clock rate? Is this the scrambling method? Kind of a poor man's system maybe?
Anyone know the new Pids, after all these are local stations, not premium pay services by any means:(

truckracer said:
Anyone know the new Pids, after all these are local stations, not premium pay services by any means:(

true. But the cable company up there uses these so they want as many people to get cable.

I deleted them, then reentered them with the PIDs and the screen is still dark. If they have new PIDs, this is where the ilfated 3688 would be handy. If anybody has a 3688 maybe the can do a scan and see if there are new PIDs.

Last edited:
Is there more english stations being lost now than gained particularly network stations (NBC ABC CBS FOX WB UPN)?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts