All American Direct without Dish Subscription

jhilley

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 28, 2006
Does anyone have All American Direct DNS without Dish? I did all last year. I use it in my motorhome and had the receiver off for three months during the winter. I kept my All American Direct subscription active for all four networks, even though I wasn't using them. Now I am getting ready for the summer and can't get it activated. They are saying I can't get DNS without Dish. When I told them I had it all last year they said I should get a statement from Dish that I didn't have an active subscription last year. I can't see Dish doing that.

This position should really interest the NAB and the other plaintiffs in the lawsuit againt Dish and AAD. You might ask to speak to someone in management at Dish and/or AAD and mention this . It should get their attention and maybe get you the distants unless they are just stupid. Also, an email to ceo@eshostar.com might get you something.

PS. I was thinking about doing the same thing. I am getting fed up with a lot of recent software problems with Dish and NBR, and the fact they are not being fixed.

AAD can sell to anyone the only requirement is that you live in an area that qualifies for distant network service. You also have to have an E* system that can lock on 119w. If you meet the requirement then AAD will set you up for service and send a signal to the receiver to allow the channels. The hang up is that the smart card in the receiver has to be authorized. If you have a E* receiver that is not active it will only pick up the in the clear channels such a NASA and the E* info chanel 101. Others that are free such as the shopping channels will not show and you get a message the smart card is not active and to call dish to activate it. So to get only AAD channels you have to get your smart card turned on and more likley pay a receiver fee to dish. It is thier system thier smart cards. Also on some of the newer receivers you can not even see the FTA channels, as soon as you set the receiver up and do the final check switch the receiver has a message that it is not activated and to call dish. It would be ignorant to think you should be able to use thier equipment and not pay them a fee.

The smart card just has to be activated. A while back, I was regularly out of town for a little bit (except the weekends) and I had KTLA, the NYC CBS and FOX (for the Jets and Giants) and the Encore Movie Package. Of course, I also had to pay the receiver fee for not having a basic package. Anyways, I went back to the AT200 annually but, after this year, I'm probably just going to cut down to the AT100+ (annually). I would do the Family Package but I'll lose ESPN. Of course, another option is the HDTV only package -- but the problem there is that I still have an SD and would lose my RSN (unless they change something).

Why? We bought and own the equipment (at least some of us do and I assume he does if he is going to keep it) and, thus, Dish has already been paid for the equipment which now is ours not theirs, and we would no longer be using any of their services (unless AAD distants are really part of a Dish service as the plaintiffs claim).

It would be ignorant to think you should be able to use thier equipment and not pay them a fee.
:rolleyes:

When one buys a widget from any company they agree to certain terms and conditions that are set by the manufacturer and true owner of the technology. These terms may include anything the manufacturer wants; they can be changed anytime without notice. When will this entitlement mentality end?

cj9788 said:
When one buys a widget from any company they agree to certain terms and conditions that are set by the manufacturer and true owner of the technology. These terms may include anything the manufacturer wants; they can be changed anytime without notice. When will this entitlement mentality end?
Entitlement? If I buy a used receiver off of EBay and want to activate All America Direct for distant network service, why should Dish Network have a say in that?

There isn't a question of entitlement there.

As a matter of fact, if there is a prerequisite of having an account with DISH in order to subscribe to All America Direct distant networks, and the broadcasters have found out about this, it is goodnight to the All America Direct distant networks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)