All HD package clarification

BluBronco

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2008
Caldwell, Idaho
I have spent the morning reading on Dish's website and on this forum. I called Dish network to clarify and I can't believe my ears. Can someone clarify this for me? I want to make sure I didn't get a rep who doesn't know what they are talking about as it happens frequently. I know at one time Dish offered the Dish HD Absolute, but pulled the offer. I'm at the point where I want an all HD package and have been a Dish customer for over 5 years. I was told that there is no HD only package for existing customers, only for new subscribers? Is that really true? If so this Turbo promo benefits new customers how???????? I could care less about getting VOD in faux 1080p? Am I wrong? If so could someone enlighten me? I want an all HD package.

I have spent the morning reading on Dish's website and on this forum. I called Dish network to clarify and I can't believe my ears. Can someone clarify this for me? I want to make sure I didn't get a rep who doesn't know what they are talking about as it happens frequently. I know at one time Dish offered the Dish HD Absolute, but pulled the offer. I'm at the point where I want an all HD package and have been a Dish customer for over 5 years. I was told that there is no HD only package for existing customers, only for new subscribers? Is that really true? If so this Turbo promo benefits new customers how???????? I could care less about getting VOD in faux 1080p? Am I wrong? If so could someone enlighten me? I want an all HD package.

That's the poop. This coming Feb 9 is being floated as when current subs can change their programming to HD only. There's been a lot of discussion on this you might find interesting in the forums.

Current customers will need receiver upgrades and dish installs or repoints which cost more than just signing new customers with no equipment.

The vast majority of subs are still watching many SD-only channels and have no interest in upgrading to HD Only. There is a rabid contingent of HD fans on this forum however and most are never happy. There are some legit reasons for that unhappiness but so few of us Dish is not concerned, just aware.

I to have checked into this and was told the same Feb date. I presently have dish advantage to 200. I pick up my NY hd from an ota antenna. My only option is to go with the dilver add on package. I am still trying to find a printed list of what the silver add on package contains as far as the Hd content. The stupid icons on Dish site do not provide enough info. My question for dish will be if I go with the silver add on package, as the other Sd channels come on line as HD will I automatically get them, or will tey be part of some future package. My fear is that if you lock into an Hd only package what will be your options as newer Hd channels come up.

I already have the HD only Dish "HD Absolute" package, I got it as soon as they began to offer it. The only channel I can't get is FSN-NW HD which really bothers me now that college football has started. I pay $40.97/mo and called to upgrade to the new HD Only packages for about $20/more per month for the SOLE reason of gaining one channel, FSN-NW HD.

No dice. I couldn't pay $20 more for one extra channel and I tried really hard. Seriously they would have been making considerably more money off me and they wouldn't let me. Foolish on their part. Considering I was willing to pay it. I do not get their logic. Where is the common sense here?

So if I was unable to "upgrade" into it then it really is new customers only. The policy is totally flawed. And no FSN-NW college football. Thanks alot Dish-bags! :down

I already have the HD only Dish "HD Absolute" package, I got it as soon as they began to offer it. The only channel I can't get is FSN-NW HD which really bothers me now that college football has started. I pay $40.97/mo and called to upgrade to the new HD Only packages for about $20/more per month for the SOLE reason of gaining one channel, FSN-NW HD.

No dice. I couldn't pay $20 more for one extra channel and I tried really hard. Seriously they would have been making considerably more money off me and they wouldn't let me. Foolish on their part. Considering I was willing to pay it. I do not get their logic. Where is the common sense here?

So if I was unable to "upgrade" into it then it really is new customers only. The policy is totally flawed. And no FSN-NW college football. Thanks alot Dish-bags! :down

Same story here. I've been a very happy DishNetwork customer for a long time. This has been my first issue with them and it's been a big one. They're very happy to tell me that the Turbo packages will be available to me in Feb. but that's AFTER football season. I don't get why a major company would be saying "I don't want your money" even when I'm saying "Please take my money".:mad:

I don't get why a major company would be saying "I don't want your money" even when I'm saying "Please take my money".:mad:

I would assume it is because if they were willing to take your money, it would probably cost them more from the customers wanting a downgrade, and all the re points and equipment. Before you say well I have all the right equipment, or I can re point myself, or well then just allow upgrades not downgrades, realize you are one person, and for every one of you willing to "give" dish $20 more a month there are 10 that want to save money, or can't repoint themselves(and will have a FIT if they have to pay to "give" dish money), and picture how many upset people you'd have if they made it available just for those that wanted to upgrade.

Seriously, its not like dish is hiding and not lettings us get or tell us when we can get it. They have already said Feb for exisiting subscribers, so stop being so shocked when you try to upgrade to something you have been told you can't get, and turns out you can't get it!

This is not aimed at anyone in particular or meant to sound mean, but it irks me everytime I see a thread complaining about not being able to get something you know you can't get. You might disagree with dish's decision, but I assure you someone making a lot more money then me has already done the numbers and this is the most financially sound way for them to go about this.

Will anyone that is in the Absolute package need any more equipment or a repoint to add an RSN? I don't know. I do know that I used to have an RSN before I went to the Absolute package and no repoint was needed then and was told the RSN problem was a contractual issue they were working out... the point was that I would be able to add the RSN to the Absolute package soon. Now I'm being told that not only will I not be able to do that but I can't even move to the new packaging that allows it. NOT HAPPY with Dish. Right now, I'm trying to decide if that RSN is really worth the extra $40 or so per month to go back to the SD + HD packaging. If so, I'll be doing it with DirectTV... not Dish! :mad:

Edit: By the way, I can almost understand why Dish would not allow downgrades to existing customers. Still think they're alienating some of the existing customer base by doing so. It's not like we're talking about giving a new customer 20% off the first six months or so... this is not the same thing as that. But no allowing existing customers to upgrade is dumb.

Feb 9th, when TurboHD packages are available to existing subs will be able to get their RSN in either the TurboHD Silver or TurboHD Gold packages.

I know it's frustrating waiting until that time, but I suspect that Dish is using this time to complete the upgrade of all the HD channels to MPEG4 and to swap out the older receivers and HD DVR's that are MPEG2 only.

It's truely unfortunate that a real tech chat didn't occur where these types of questions could have been answered. Let's hope the next one is decent and goes a long way to settle these questions and hopefully provide a decent response to customers frustrated with the waiting.

For those that are SD only, it's too bad they are delaying you as well until Feb 9th. As you'd need new equipment anyways, it's too bad you can "Dish it up" and also subscribe to the new packages. But I suspect that's how it'll play out Feb 9th.

Feb 9th, when TurboHD packages are available to existing subs will be able to get their RSN in either the TurboHD Silver or TurboHD Gold packages.

I know it's frustrating waiting until that time, but I suspect that Dish is using this time to complete the upgrade of all the HD channels to MPEG4 and to swap out the older receivers and HD DVR's that are MPEG2 only.

Frustrating? It's useless... football season is over then! :mad:

Is there anyone in the Absolute package that does not already have MPEG4 equipment?

They won't allow you to get the "Multi-Sports" package? That's all the RSN's for $5.99 a month and some are in HD for HD subscribers.

Here's a link on the details and what is included for that price:

DISH Network -- America's Top 180

Also, for those that are beyond frustrated, try emailing ceo "at" echostar "dot" com and see if they can't help you out in some way.

They won't allow you to get the "Multi-Sports" package? That's all the RSN's for $5.99 a month and some are in HD for HD subscribers.

It is my understanding that games that would normally be carried by your local RSN would be blacked out in the Multi-Sport pack (if you didn't already have the RSN either through inclussion in your normal packaging or through add-on)but I have never subscribed to it so I don't know for sure.

Also, as I understand it, any change in service of an HD Absolute customer will result in being forced back to one of the much more expensive SD + HD packages. This part I don't really have an issue with... the HD Absolute package is no longer available after all.

They won't allow you to get the "Multi-Sports" package? Also, for those that are beyond frustrated, try emailing ceo "at" echostar "dot" com and see if they can't help you out in some way.

a) no you cant add Multi-Sports package

b) "ceo at nettyfresh dot com" just said, "sorry there is nothing i can do for you"

c) I'm on a ViP622 pointed at 110, 119, and 129 in Oregon, no need for new equipment or repoints.

My complaint is that they shouldn't have a sweeping generalization of a policy, when there are customers like myself and Mr. Zulu who are perfect candidates for the "upgrade" and willing to pay for it. It is like a zero-tolerance policy where the bureaucracy fails to take the time to address concerns on a case by case basis. Too bad between my phone calls and live chats and emails to ceo theyve lost more time and resources than if they would have looked at my situation the first time and realized I deserve to get my RSN.

Follow-up:
I should note that after all my public whining and debating with myself whether to step back up to a SD/HD package with Dish or even Direct just to get FSN-NW I have decided $40/mo is too good a deal and I can't bring myself to pay twice that for 1 channel.

So technically I think this means Dish Network wins the battle of wills. Touché Charlie. Although you're still leaving $20 on the table...

I will probably stay with the HD Absolute for now but I would not say that Charlie wins... after all, he appearently wants us out of the HD Absolute package and into one of the SD + HD packages. The big reason that I will stay for now is that I'm still under contract and if I did go back to SD + HD it WILL be with DirecTV.

I'll just have to lean heavily on friends when 'the game' is on my rsn.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)