All Hoppers must have Joeys ?

I didn't think 3 tuners was enough for a family either, but they went ahead based on their own surveys and research. I have no idea whether they are right or not. It might work for the majority. I figured with the availability of another Hopper, that would even things out a bit even with the extra fee.

I still don't get how they did their own research on tuner numbers as a huge majority of their dvrs are installed with no OTA rendering them to 2 tuners anyways. So of course a majority of the customers sampled only used two tuners at a time on the dvr because that's all they had.

Peace....I'm out...

The only thing that I can think of is, there is no other way to service just one TV except to have a lone Hopper. There are other ways to service 2-3 TVs without using a 2nd Hopper. I don't think it's right, but just rationalizing what could be their reasoning.

I still don't get how they did their own research on tuner numbers as a huge majority of their dvrs are installed with no OTA rendering them to 2 tuners anyways. So of course a majority of the customers sampled only used two tuners at a time on the dvr because that's all they had.

Peace....I'm out...

I agree with this, as it's comparing apples to oranges. I think they are figuring people's habits won't really change with WHDVR. I'm not sure I buy into that. They also found that 50% of viewing/recording was during primetime on the Big Four so PTAT would take care of the majority of customers. I guess if all four people were chasing PTAT recordings, there would be enough tuners for a household for most subs. <shrug>

Forget about needing the extra tuners, I need two Hoppers because the TV in my bedroom doesn't have HDMI, only component. I'll be damned if I'm not going to have HD on a TV that has had an HD signal for 6 years! And Im certainly not going to put a Joey in my main living room.

Another reason for two Hoppers: I (actually my wife ;) ) was also looking forward to the Bluetooth support for the living room and the bedroom.

:( Ugh, disappointed the two hopper one Joey set up is not available. With three tuners and the joeys not having one being unable to watch live tv possibly in another room is disappointing

All this Hopper talk had me so excited for more tuners and whole home features...then they pull the (at least for now) lame-brained rule of not allowing 2H/1J. For some families the 1H/2J just won't work no matter how hard you try. So if you really want the new type of tech and Dish refuses your business...well, guess you have to look at other options.

As most anyone here knows, I have been very happy with Dish. However, I have no intention on paying for another Joey I don't need (especially when I could have 3 boxes/7 tuners from D* and have promo pricing). And I also have no intention of "upgrading" to fewer tuners and causing all kinds of viewing/recording issues in my home. My 2 722s with OTA on one gives me 5 tuners and sometimes that isn't enough (or just barely enough). No way that three would work, especially since PTAT won't help a lot if you don't record much off the major networks, like us. Seriously, if I lived in a house all by myself, there are days three tuners would be pushing it. I understand it will work for some, but when your competition has 5 in one box and each extra outlet has its own tuner...how could they even think this is acceptable?

So, even though I never thought I'd say this, since my contract is up in just a short time from now, I think will have to investigate the competition more thoroughly. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid...Dish!:( There, I feel better already. It is JUST TV, after all.

Dish has about a month to reverse that decision and then they could lose a very happy (otherwise) sub. Unless someone has luck doing 2H/2J, then immediately removing a Joey. I'll be intently watching for such posts.

Customer since 1998 and I feel the same. The HR34 is looking pretty good. The HJ system cannot be the system of the future if they are going to limit how it's used and what combinations customers have to have.

My guess is that this is just the policy at launch, and that it will be changed within 1-2 months. From their standpoint, if they do a large number of installs with 2 Hoppers/No Joeys or 2 Hoppers/1Joey, their inventory of Hoppers may run out leaving them with plenty of Joeys that no one can use. After the initial inventory hit of the early adopters/new customers, and once they stabilize their inventory of Hoppers, I would hope that they would change this policy.

It still remains to be seen on the limitations. We have explicit new customer worksheets and the dish website that shows one hopper installations.

Dish has a big mess of conflicting information to sort out here.....

It still remains to be seen on the limitations. We have explicit new customer worksheets and the dish website that shows one hopper installations.

Dish has a big mess of conflicting information to sort out here.....

I was hesitent to call Dish about a Two Hopper one Joey, when Dirt staff said should not be happening??

I currently have a 622 and a 722. This configuration supplies two independent Hd picture in picture streams.

Is there any other configuration, other than two hoppers that provide the same functionality?

Adding joey's only adds expense as I do not need any additional Hd streams

This is why I thought they should of come out with a 6 tuner hopper ,complete with ota support. A 3 tuner hopper will not be enough for households who are used to having independent tuners in each of their additional receivers. Like in my setup I have a 722k with dual ota tuners, that can record 4 networks at a time. I also have two 211k receivers with dvr software ,and they have ota tuners as well. So between the three receivers I have 4 sat tuners and 4 ota tuners . The idea to be able to watch the same shows in another room that are on the 722k is attractive ,but the idea of losing sat tuners and no ota support makes this a down grade for me and for others in similar situations. Then add to that this joey for each hopper policy and you see this is and has been all along about generating more revenue from their subs. Forcing them to pay at first the extra $4.00 fee added to your dvr fee, then forcing the $7.00 per joey fee ,even the first joey and then forcing you to have at least 1 joey for each hopper you try to add to your account.

I think at this time unless DISH rethinks some of these conflicting policies over upgrades and additional Forced monthly FEES, this entire hopper experience will turn out to do nothing more than alienate current subs and force more churn to the competition -Directv. I would think that DISH would of learned by now on how to debut a new product without causing so much destruction to their existing customer base.

Bumer I was looking at moving to dish, but at this time I will have to wait out as a one hopper two Joey I think will cause a live tv conflict At times . Maybe down the road things may change? I will keep checking here!

Think of it this way: DISH gets an extra $7 a month for those who want 2 Hoppers but only want 1 Joey by forcing the 2nd Joey. ;)

Neutron said:
Think of it this way: DISH gets an extra $7 a month for those who want 2 Hoppers but only want 1 Joey by forcing the 2nd Joey. ;)

Yea, hopefully they will adjust but I see the business side they are looking at

I just want a single hopper. But was told I must have a joey. Not sure why, doesn't change my monthly bill to have one so dish gets nothing by forcing me to have it. However there are many reports of people getting away with just a hopper on their account. Lots of conflicting info out there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)