Alligning 119/110 w/ a 301 reciever

Melnic

Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
I have a 301 reciever that I am trying to get experiance alligning before I actually install it at a vacation home.
Because I want to be able to understand how everything works and be able to service it myself, I chose to buy the hardware and install myself (knowing this would be quite an adventure). I'm an electrical engineer so I know my way around electronics.
The installation manual does not match the LNB nor the reciever.
I have what I believe is a quad LNB (dual twin?). It looks exactly like this:
https://www.dssroom.com/images/Leg_Quad___Gallery.jpg

I have 2 coax RG6 cables one each plugged into the far ends.
My current installation zip code is 21074
I have a couple questions:
1) should the skew be left alone to what it was shipped at (90 degrees).
2) Should I allign 119 first, then 110 and work back and forth?
3) I had alligned and had a 119 signal just fine and did a switch test (where is showed only 119 was being recieved), then I accidently exited out. Now all I get is a screen saying that the reciever needs to be activated and I can no longer get to the allignment screens. Is there a trick to getting back to the allignment screens?
4) Does one of the LNB units ONLY recieve 119 and the other recieve 110? I was wondering if I should block off one LNB circle and allign w/ 119, then allign the 110 so I have it matched up properly.

Any other suggestions on allignment would be appreciated.
For now, I have the mount that came with it anchored into a 1000lb concrete pedistal I have at work.

Thx in advance.

BTW, I read in another place where they describe using 2 meters in an LNB that does not have the built in switch. If I am sweeping across the az from left to right, would I see 110 first from the 119 antenna? So I would then keep sweeping right until I see 119? I"m thinking if I sweep left to right while having the reciever look for 119 I'll have the pretty close right allignment for both correct?

Unplug the receiver from the AC outlet, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in.
While it is going through the acquiring satellite signal check (IE: 1 of 5) hit the menu button. You should then be able to navigate all the menus. If you let it finish the acquiring satellite signal check, you will have to start over.

Unplug the receiver from the AC outlet, wait 30 seconds, and plug it back in.
While it is going through the acquiring satellite signal check (IE: 1 of 5) hit the menu button. You should then be able to navigate all the menus. If you let it finish the acquiring satellite signal check, you will have to start over.

Great!
The thing I was not doing was unplugging for as long as 30 seconds. That did the trick!
When not leaving it unplugged it did not even have the "help" button and was stuck in that screen.
I'm back in business.
Thx for the quick help!!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)