Almost HD quality DVR on your PC for a few bucks!!!!

Voomster

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 21, 2004
SF Bay Area
I love my Voom Satalite box but , hooking a standard vcr to it sucks :no
I own a new H/P m1090n XP-Pro Windows Media Center PC, hooking Voom
via 75 ohm cable to Media Center TV tuner built in Windows Media Center edition of Window's XP Pro - produces a less than quality dvr with distortion :no

And Windows Media Center Edition -( MY TV) software sucks the most :river

Being the P.C. tech I am I bought (ADS Tech) DVD Xpress -USB a little box
that provides for a high Quality S-Video Conector :love (RCA Video don't use it :no )

and two audio stereo inputs. Buy your self gold contact High quality S-Video
cable, and two high quality thick (red and white ) pair of stereo audio cables

hook the high Quality S-Video Connector & Stereo high quality audio cables from Voom Sat Box to ADS Tech DVD Express's box then USB II to your PC

ADS tech DVD Express software comes with a very high quality Cap Wiz software and a free copy of Ulead's Video Studio 7 worth about $ 60.00
by it self to burn your dvd's

ADS tech DVD Express Software lets you capture your S-video and Sound
from your Voom Sat box with full range of recording quality settings :

Video Record Quality : DVD 9 mbs @ 48Khz mpeg 1 2 Layers
accual record quality : DVD 8.9 mbs Mpeg 2 @ 48 Khz

on your hard disk , having an SATA hard drive on your pc will add a little quality :love and with super high quality dvr comes the need for lots of room on your hard drive of course. internal SATA 250 gig /300 gig are perfect

I got ADS tech's DVD express at CompUSA $list 99.00 on sale for $ 49.99 with rebates a while back.

Is it technically HD recording from your Voom Box to your PC? NO
Is it better than anything out there for a few bucks ? YES :yes

Recording near HD quality to DVD :music

Voomster :rainbow

I get a damn nice picture from my Panasonic DMR E85H hard drive/DVD recorder. My roommate often can't tell if we are watching HD or not and this is on a 110" front projection system.

Your roomate needs glasses ;). I got a very nice recording on my replays off Voom, but I'd never confuse it for HD.

Between the E85's signal cleaning and my pj's scaling, they do look very good. But then, all I record is downconverted HD material, so it's very clean to begin with.

Voomster

If you're wanting to record multiple programs on different channels while you're away, does the system know how to switch channels??

DarrellP
I've got a Panasonic T3040(basically a HS-2) that I regularly record off of cable. Its only SD, but has a built in tuner. Picture quality actually looks better than the cable box my provider furnished. Wish there was some way for it to tune different channels off of the Voom system. You wouldn't know of any way to do that, would you?

JimP said:
Voomster

If you're wanting to record multiple programs on different channels while you're away, does the system know how to switch channels??

DarrellP
I've got a Panasonic T3040(basically a HS-2) that I regularly record off of cable. Its only SD, but has a built in tuner. Picture quality actually looks better than the cable box my provider furnished. Wish there was some way for it to tune different channels off of the Voom system. You wouldn't know of any way to do that, would you?
Does the box have Line In? If you tune to an external Line In and tune your Voom box to whatever channel you wish to record, this should work fine.

Darrell

Thanks for responding.
Its got line in.
I was just trying to figure out about its changing channels on its own with the Voom receiver without some elaborate programming on the Voom box.

Jim, I feel your pain. I have to set 2 timers and it is a royal PITA since I miss about 1 in 10 recordings. The recordings I get from Dish always work since the 6000 has repeat daily, weekly timers. Voom really needs to implement these in the stb.

A couple of times a week, I will set a Program Reminder in Voom and forget to set a timer on the recorder or vice versa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)