Alternative to the HR-20's antenna in for HR-22

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

bratboy

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 24, 2005
Denver CO
Okay one other question concerning the HR-22 I was given as a replacement for my troublesome HR-20.

The HR-20 had an antenna in so I could actually use the HR-20 to tune into local HD channels that DTV doesn't offer and record them even using the DVR. Is there a unit/item I can get for the HR-22 so I can also do this with the new unit. I seem to recall there was some sort of gadget, I seem to recall there was some sort of thing-a-ma-gig, and how does it connect to the HR-22? Also how or where do I acquire it?

Sincere Thanks
Jesse

Thanks for the link but not what I'm looking for. I need something, I think its called an AM- something or other that lets you connect a regular antenna to the DVR so it can also recieve OTA signals.

It's the AM21 OTA tuner - since D* is the one that swapped you a lesser receiver, call them up & ask them to send you one at NO charge! (sometimes they WILL do this for subs that originally had HR20's)

Thanks for the link but not what I'm looking for. I need something, I think its called an AM- something or other that lets you connect a regular antenna to the DVR so it can also recieve OTA signals.

Sorry I thought you wanted to watch your HR-22 OTA on another TV and yes I also have the AM21 OTA turner module and has the best OTA turners available. Well worth the expense. At the time I made my purchase D* did not have then available so I bought it "On-Line". Now I think you can buy it directly from them on their Web Site. Really a quality product. Highly recommend it.

Does anyone have a link to a manual for the AM21? I plan to call about it but was hoping to find something I could read on how you install it. I tried to search Direct TV's site but couldn't find any info on it.

I'll ask in a new thread but just in case someone here can help I have one last stupid question. The tech left our old box here so we could watch the stuff we already had recorded before we send the old box back. Both boxes are in the same spot so when I try to use the remote on the old box the new box is also reacting to the remote. Is there a setting or option I can change on the new box so that when we are watching the old box that the new box doesn't also respond?

Install of the AM21 is super easy.

Power down and unplug the IRD.
Place the4 AM21 where you want it, below or above the IRD
Connect the antenna
Plug the USB cable in
Install the power jumper
Power up the IRD and do the OTA setup

I leave the remote Q for someone else. But you need to have two remotes, 'coded' to each box.

Im assuming IRD means the HR-22 unit. As for the remote issue Got that licked thanks to a link from someone else post here that explained exactly how to do it. Now My old unit is controlled by the switch being in the Directv setting and I set the new box, temporarly to AV2 and its working perfect for my needs.

Thanks for explaining how easy it is to set up the AM-21. I tried to get them to comp the gadget but they said since DTV carries my locals here no freebie, had to pay for it, grr. I may call back one more time and talk to a super just to see if I can get em to drop the fee but too tired to do it today. Now one other thing, say we get bad weather that causes the sat signal to drop, will I still be able to access the OTA channels?

EDIT: Well I still couldn't get the AM21 for free, the 1st person I spoke with was going to have me ship back the AM 21 when it arrived & the new HR-22 and he would order a replacement HR-20 to be sent to me. Anyway I asked & he transfered me to a very nice Supervisor who said she couldn't give it to me for free but she could and would credit me back 1/2 the cost of the AM21 so in the end I'm getting the OTA thing for $25. Since the other alternative would be to go out and buy a dang DTV converter box on my own for locals at $40+ and I wouldn't be able to DVR it that seemed a bit fairer to me.

Thanks to everyone who helped with advice
Jess

Last edited:
Sounds like you made out alright. Sometimes, multiple calls get you what you want. I do not know if they track the calls and 'have a breaking point' or if it is merely a discretionary thing though it always seems to take multiple calls. Not always the cost but the principal.

When I finally broke down and got a HD DVR, I too, wanted the option of recording OTA. A few calls and they offered to provide the AM21 for free. I had to pay $20 for the DVR.

I also had a H20 box in another room going bad and that got replaced with a a (I think) H21 so no OTA though the box but that is a non problem as I simply use the TV's tuner. Cool thing is this new box has a ethernet connection so when MRV rolls out (not brave enough to do the CE thing-If the box failed, well my wife scares me) I'll be able to watch recorded movies and shows there too.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)