Always check your installers identity!

PSB

On vacation
Original poster
Nov 5, 2003
I have been on a mission for some time trying to highlight that when you let a satellite "installer" into your home you are taking a BIG risk unless you check their SBCA 1 + 2 certificate and check that against photo ID, in some states the "tech" must be licensed, it gives me no pleasure including the below links, I only hope customers help us enforce the above basics, its not going to guarantee a perfect install but at least you will know who the installer is, remember if they are licensed they are also bonded and insured.
Also never let an installer remove his shoes and walk in only his socks in your home, they MUST have shoes on at all times (OSHA), shoe covers are very cheap.

http://fox40.trb.com/news/ktxl-080304dish,0,5878120.story?coll=ktxl-news-3

http://www.news10.net/clips/August2004/080404/rampage.asx

The second link didn't work. Try this link instead.

While I agree that you need to check the ID of an installer (or any other utility employee coming to your door) I don't think checking for SBCA certification would have done anything to prevent this situation. For all we know the installer may have been SBCA 1 + 2 certified. The articles on this incident provide no information on the installer other than his gender.

While SBCA certification can help ensure that the installer knows how to install a satellite system properly, it does nothing to ensure that the installer won't have the kind of violent meltdown this installer had.

Since it was his first day on the job I dont think he would have been SBCA certified anyway, its takes a very special person and $200 to sit through eight hours of SBCA 1+2 training, maybe thats it ;)

I think Pete put up a good idea, who ever show up at your door should at least show the I.D. as well as the certification to ensure this match the person who perform the work for you is qualified. You don't want a company send you a new kid on the road to do your installation and mess things up.

There lots of LOS problem can be solve by qualified experienced installer. I done some of these kind of installation that someone send from the other company say no LOS but actually the job can be done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)