Status
Please reply by conversation.

goaliebob99

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Aug 5, 2004
-.-. .... .. -.-. .- --. ---
I'm not sure if the USB port went out on my HR54 or what's going on here.

I have an AM21 that has good incoming signal to it. I have disconnected the cable, ran the scan on my TV and it finds every local channel for my area. Plugged it back into the AM21, go through the initial setup and it won't find anything, and I can't go in and see the signal strength on it. The TV reports good signal on its OTA when the cable is plugged into the TV.

I swapped out the AM21 with a spare AM21, both do the same thing. I tried to swap out the USB cable as well, nothing. I cant get this HR54 to find channels. It goes through the whole process only to find zero channels and the HR 54 diables the two antenna ports.

I am not sure why it wont work. Any suggestions.

Yes I have rebooted the HR54 both by RBR and pulling the power, many times.

Well K9SAT, I was gonna suggest swapping the cable, but you already did.

I had an issue awhile back and swapping cables cleared it.

I do have an odd issue on one of my AM21's, it gets all my OTA channels except the CBS network, I've moved the antenna around, but still can't find the sweet spot, I've previously had it working fine for years.

I've never had good luck with my AM21, it just doesn't have a very good tuner in it.

almost sounds like D* REALLY dont want people to use a AM21 ;)
I think its been that way from the beginning ... I think the original idea was to remove the OTA tuners from the recvrs newer than the HR20 (was that when they did that, or when the branded stuff came out ?)
Anyways I think they were expecting everyone to figure they are getting thier locals from D* and people would not worry about the OTA channels, fortunately they found out differently.

The AM21 (or AM22) are very problematic on the Genies ...

First, is there an option in the settings menu to reset the OTA channels even though it's actually not finding any?

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk

But for the poster, is the option to reset OTA channels showing as highlighted or is it grayed-out?

You can reset. After reset when you do the initial setup it will scan and do the whole process, but won't find any channels. The edit off air channels button is greyed out. It also see's the AM21 in the sys info screen but has the two OTA tuners disabled (removed).

You can reset. After reset when you do the initial setup it will scan and do the whole process, but won't find any channels. The edit off air channels button is greyed out. It also see's the AM21 in the sys info screen but has the two OTA tuners disabled (removed).
Ok, I asked so you could give the "reboot hell" procedure a try that may help get the AM21 functioning again. First reset the OTA channels then reboot. Next after the box comes back up, plug the power plug to the Genie and then disconnect the AM21. Power back up the Genie. Then after it is back up, pull the power plug again. Reconnect the AM21 and then power the Genie back up once again. Now try running the OTA channel setup when back up. Notice if the edit off air channels button is enabled then you are in business and the 21 should would. If not then you can it try again.

Ok, I asked so you could give the "reboot hell" procedure a try that may help get the AM21 functioning again. First reset the OTA channels then reboot. Next after the box comes back up, plug the power plug to the Genie and then disconnect the AM21. Power back up the Genie. Then after it is back up, pull the power plug again. Reconnect the AM21 and then power the Genie back up once again. Now try running the OTA channel setup when back up. Notice if the edit off air channels button is enabled then you are in business and the 21 should would. If not then you can it try again.

Yep this DOES NOT work. Same results as before. It will go through the setup process but won't find any channels. The system was fine until this last release. I can confirm I am on 0xac8 and it was downloaded a few weeks back. I have tried this with two different AM21 tuners. One was active, the other was brand new in the box. Both have the same symptoms. It's almost like the USB port doesn't work anymore. I really wish there was a way to rollback to previous versions of the software to test.

I may try and download the CE this Saturday to see if that makes any difference. I can always roll back if need be.

Yep this DOES NOT work. Same results as before. It will go through the setup process but won't find any channels. The system was fine until this last release. I can confirm I am on 0xac8 and it was downloaded a few weeks back. I have tried this with two different AM21 tuners. One was active, the other was brand new in the box. Both have the same symptoms. It's almost like the USB port doesn't work anymore. I really wish there was a way to rollback to previous versions of the software to test.

I may try and download the CE this Saturday to see if that makes any difference.
I can always roll back if need be.
This is what I was thinking too.

I would try a clearmybox , based on:

1) The AM21's idiotically stupid reliance on guide data
2) Recent guide data issues with the national releases

It's worth a shot, as long as you don't mind the impact (which really isn't much).

I would try a clearmybox , based on:

1) The AM21's idiotically stupid reliance on guide data
2) Recent guide data issues with the national releases

It's worth a shot, as long as you don't mind the impact (which really isn't much).
I gave this a shot and it's a no go for this as well. I am forcing the Hr54 to redownload 0AC8 now. I hope that this may fix it.

May be dumb, but have you tried unplugging everything and restarting the 54, then plugging in the 21? I'll confirm my 54 works with an am21 no problem. So they didn't remove support.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

May be dumb, but have you tried unplugging everything and restarting the 54, then plugging in the 21? I'll confirm my 54 works with an am21 no problem. So they didn't remove support.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Yes that was apart of the reboot from hell that HOtat2 recommend. The software download didn't work. This is happening on more than one AM 21. There are users over at DBS talk that are having the same issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts