Am I comprehending this correctly on a 722K?

Arkapigdiesel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 20, 2008
Northwest Arkansas
If I have a 722K to work my HDTV and my SDTV, I can only record two programs at once? Is that correct? Also, if I get another receiver for my RV......what would my monthly fee be to have it?

Let me be more clear......I really don't know and have never used OTA. Does that factor into the equation as far as being able to record something via E's programming?

Really it crosses the border easily, and for the people that own their receivers it is way past what common sense should be.

$17 for an additional DVR?! Wow, that borderlines on ridiculous.

Yeh, they are into cable pricing these days. Get a 211K. It's $7 per month and with the addition of an external hard drive and a one-time fee of $40 becomes a DVR. You can lease it from E* or buy one outright off eBay, Amazon or from DishStore. If you buy you still pay $7 per month though. Buying won't affect your commitment. Do you go on long trips with your RV? If so why not just take the 722 with you if you're using an HD setup for your RV.

You have two satellite tuners. You can record from both at the same time. You could also be watching something you pre-recorded on the DVR. You could also be downloading a program/VOD over the internet at the same time.

Pretty good, really.

Dish will regard your RV as a separate location and try to get you to sign up for a second account. Or it could be your sole account. If you only have the one box, you might get away with carrying it back and forth with you, just don't plug it into a phone line or broadband when at the RV. Having two boxes opens up some possibility of getting audited, where you'll need to prove both boxes are at the same location by reading numbers off the screen (numbers that change often).

Yeh, they are into cable pricing these days. Get a 211K. It's $7 per month and with the addition of an external hard drive and a one-time fee of $40 becomes a DVR. You can lease it from E* or buy one outright off eBay, Amazon or from DishStore. If you buy you still pay $7 per month though. Buying won't affect your commitment. Do you go on long trips with your RV? If so why not just take the 722 with you if you're using an HD setup for your RV.
Well......that's a loaded question :D

For E* to be a viable option I would really need a tuner in my house that can record more than two programs at once. We are currently with D*, but I'm exploring all of my options. To be honest, with the D* MRV option and to have the ability to record 4 programs at once with my two receivers, that may very well be the deal sealer.

Being able to ONLY record two programs at once between two TV's is not real attractive to me. I'll still look and weigh all of my options though......

I'm a dodo, I guess. Why would I want to receive OTA stations (assuming you are referring to locals), -vs- just getting my locals from the satellite?
Dish has limited HD feeds for local channels, and absolutely no sub-channels. While I'm hardly a videophile, I believe my OTA local is a little bit better visual quality than over the Sat. In addition, sub channels in some areas are quite nice, including those with PBS (though some HD purists would rather burn in hell than accept the existence of sub-channels stealing bandwidth from the latest episode of their favorite show ;)). The Cleveland local WKYC has a 24/7 weather channel that pretty much just shows the radar, so during serious weather events, you can flip to that channel, almost regardless to how hard it is raining.

Oh... and did I mention OTA is free?! :) (well, you need to pay to get the dual tuner... honestly, I don't know of many cases I'd need to record two OTA's at the same time). Do they still do the 722? That comes with a tuner.

I'm a dodo, I guess. Why would I want to receive OTA stations (assuming you are referring to locals), -vs- just getting my locals from the satellite?
Well, for one thing, in case of major storms that might cause the Sat to get blocked, OTA is still there. You talk about wanting to record more than two programs at a time, the OTA module will allow you to do that. And in some areas/cities, OTA picture quality may be better. I hazard to say that most of us in this forum use OTA if it's available to us.

I have my locals from Dish and have the OTA tuner. I love it. It allows me to record 2 shows off the satellite and 2 shows off the antenna. Works great when all our favorite shows are on the major networks on the same nights.

Don't forget that you are still able to watch those OTA channels on your receiver when the satellite goes out in a bad storm. I love being to still catch the radar on TV when the Dish goes out.

I'm assuming I'd need an antenna installed outside of my house to pick up OTA programming?
You can go to AntennaWeb and determine what would be necessary. For myself, I have an indoor antenna and receive most of the locals, despite being in a narrow valley. Based on your location, I would have assumed you already had an antenna.

Can you get OTA?

Let me be more clear......I really don't know and have never used OTA. Does that factor into the equation as far as being able to record something via E's programming?

Can you get OTA TV in your area? If you can then it is worth the price of the module for the 722k. You would then be able to record 4 thing download a VOD & watch an HD recorded show in 1 room and an SD recorded show in a 2nd room.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)