Am I correct in my assumption I need a LNB?

drizler

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 9, 2005
OK for a while now my rain fade has been getting worse and signal strength weaker. Fair nuff I went and realigned the dish and currently have at least 85-91 (119) and 75-83 (110) both showing locked signals. Most of the time it was ok with both switches in the green. Now they are both red and I still have most channels but a few have dropped out. I went through the diagnostics with a very helpful Dish tech and even removed the back panel input cables and retried it after. SOOOOO I did make up the ends of those cables and I never did trust the "home rolly" cables expecially the screw on type like I have on there now. Just the same its not much likely that both of them could go out together. My idea is that I need a new LNB. Its about 6 years old and from my BUD experiences they do go. WHAT SAY YE OH GREAT TECCHIES??????? For my end of it the money is better spent that way than $100 for a service call and needing one anyways. What do you think and who has em for good price. Thanx.:D

119 signal looks good for rain fade 110 is weak if no tree off to the left of dish and all connections are good then yes try new lnb

Thanks Bigjohn

No trees around at all and I had fiddled with the dish till both sats were coming in better than before. It seems like its been just getting weaker till rainfade is a pretty common occurance and now random channels have started just dropping out. I guess its time for a new LNB. At least its easy to install compared to my old BUD that the horse used to rub on and the winter wind kept blowing out the panels or filling them with snow:D.

No trees around at all and I had fiddled with the dish till both sats were coming in better than before. It seems like its been just getting weaker till rainfade is a pretty common occurance and now random channels have started just dropping out. I guess its time for a new LNB. At least its easy to install compared to my old BUD that the horse used to rub on and the winter wind kept blowing out the panels or filling them with snow:D.

I would check a couple of things first. Make sure that any barrel connectors/wall plates and ground blocks are high frequency. You can check this by taking the cable off and looking at the center of the barrel/groundblock/wall plate. If it is white or clear, it is likely not rated for satellite. If it is blue or orange it is. Also, what kind of LNBF are you using?

Thanx I Already Did All That

The existing rig has been in good service for 7 years and did get a jolt of lightning via the ground cable a few years back. Damned stuff jumped right off the water pipe and give my daughter and her friend a friendly jingle 10 feet away in the stairwell of the basement. That probably helped it along some. I managed to secure an identical unit Dishpro twin new off ebay for under 40 so I will just toss it on when it arrives. I will post whether it works or not when it gets here.

I hate those screw on fittings, they caused me more problems than I cared for such as signal issues. Im still thinking that some of your problem is with the dish tuning but you havent said what kind of lnbf you have, is it two legacy duals through a switch and what type or is a legacy twin? Equipment details do go a long way in determining what could be at issue without actually being there.

Edit:

Dishpro has been around for 6 years so it sounds like you have a legacy twin, you will need to run a checkswitch when installing the lnbf but it wont work with your receivers if they are any of the four digit model numbers unless you have a dishpro adapter.

Last edited:
Its The Dishpro with one piece construction and 2 outletsI

Itgs the one piece twin . Say, why do those screw on coaxial connectors work so badly. They screw on securely and pinch the sheathing much better than the other types unless you are using the fancy $50 die pliers. I still have found them to be a major pain in that the barrels stick and won't turn freely and just seem to make lots of bad connections no matter how long or short the center wire is trimmed. Still, in my case there are the two feeds and I find it too convenient for both to go out the same way at the same time. I am sure it has happened to someone but in my case its just too far against the odds and the Dish tech agreed. What the hay, for 38 bucks I have a new one coming so time will tell. Compared to a lot of the busted stuff I fix this is cheap, clean, and easy.

You know there is such a thing as DHPP for $5.99. Enroll when you need it and cancel when your repair is completed. That might be even cheaper than your gambling on an Ebay purchase curing a maybe problem.

I forgot to post back. I got the new LNB new off Ebay for $35 by waiting out one auction and sniping. Worked like a charm. Thanx for the advice to all,,,,

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts