Am I paranoid or is this possible.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Greysquirrel

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 13, 2003
I have a cable modem and most sites come up fast with the exception of Dish and Direct TV sites, I will get the home page fast but then it takes forever for it to display all the information on it and when you try to navigate the site it take forever for the pages to fill up with all the information contained in them. Other web pages load fast including this one most of the time, AVS and other forums but D&E are next to impossible to read as they take so long to load.
Now am I just paranoid about this or is it possible for the cable company to somehow slow down access to these sites?

Greysquirrel said:
I have a cable modem and most sites come up fast with the exception of Dish and Direct TV sites, I will get the home page fast but then it takes forever for it to display all the information on it and when you try to navigate the site it take forever for the pages to fill up with all the information contained in them. Other web pages load fast including this one most of the time, AVS and other forums but D&E are next to impossible to read as they take so long to load.
Now am I just paranoid about this or is it possible for the cable company to somehow slow down access to these sites?

The key to understanding this is whether you are watching satellite television when attempting to access these sites. Make sure the receiver is turned off and try again. You should have a noticeable increase in speed.

monoparadox said:
The key to understanding this is whether you are watching satellite television when attempting to access these sites. Make sure the receiver is turned off and try again. You should have a noticeable increase in speed.

You are joking, right? What does one have to do with the other?

Technically, it is possible if your ISP uses a caching server, they could avoid caching these two websites. There are probably other tricks available. None of which would be very practical or justify the effort, but you never know... If you use Firefox, there are extensions that can log all of the HTTP requests which might give you some insight.
But, a more practical explanation is that both of the websites you mentioned are very poorly coded. Sloppy client-side coding, and what looks to be pretty sloppy stuff on the back-end, too.
As Napolean said (or might have said): Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

Unhook your cable modem from the cable source and hook it to to your satellite input cable. It will work much faster as it's a direct connection back to them.

If that doesn't do it, plug the cable modem into any 220V outlet, it will really fly then.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)