Am I the first person to try to use the WorldDVB DVB-S2-CA Card Reader?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkanet

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
North California
Okay, I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. Apparently, the DVBWorld has products that support Nagravision via their card readers right out of the box. When I plugin the card reader, it gets a red light showing it's connected. However, I dont see a respective device driver for it... not even a serial port (com port) in Windows Device Manager.

If I had a nagravision compatible program, it would expect this device to be available via WDM, BDA, COM port, something....

Maybe there's someone here smart enough to at least have experimented a little bit with it. I'm guessing it should be no different than a phoenix card reader.

Nagravision wont work here as the card needs to be married to the receiver, and there is no one who will marry a card to the receiver, so you need to use theres.

Yeah, that's what people seem to be saying here. However, there's the WorldTV/Globcast provider on probably one of the most popular birds... Galaxy 19. Seems to make sense to try to use equipment that made for that kind of stuff. I certainly hope I'm not the first person who is attempting to do this since I was hoping to get some basic questions answered. I started asking questions in another thread, but I thought I would dedicate this thead to just how to get the card reader to work. I wonder if this card reader has the same capabilities as other popular card readers like phoenix. I would just be happy to get it to do what it was meant to do. If I at least have a way to access the hardware, I have a chance to do something with it.

No Globecast makes you use their receiver for the NAGRA stuff as its the only way it will work. And for the IRIDETO stuff they want you to use their box, but with IRDETO any fta receiver with a smart card slot can be used.

Although not intimately familiar with the system architecture, I believe CA resides higher than MPEG decode and delivery, which is the main function of the DVB card, as far as the host PC is concerned.

As a practical matter, I interpret this to mean that a card reader would *not* enumerate in Windows, and also to mean that there is no standard "nagravision compatible program". Essentially, it's an inseparable part of the DVB card. This isn't of course to suggest that undecoded packets could not be transmitted to the PC, but it would be a non-standard mode of operation.

You know, I just went looking around at DVBWorld stuff and didn't find what I had imagined you were referring to. Maybe I'll look first next time. :D

Educate me a little as to the nature of this card reader, if you would. I'm rather curious now.

Hmmm.. So I guess I am the first person. :) WorldTV said they will call me back to see if there's a way around the strict policy to use their equipment; so, at least its a little encouraging. I also wouldn't mind looking into using IRDETO with this card reader. I'm reading up on it.

You know, I just went looking around at DVBWorld stuff and didn't find what I had imagined you were referring to. Maybe I'll look first next time. :D

Educate me a little as to the nature of this card reader, if you would. I'm rather curious now.

http://www.dvb-bg.com/showthread.php?t=14060

This suggests that Nagravision Viaccess, Conax, Irdeto are all supported. I'm just curious if there's some kind of driver to enable this device. I only installed the latest driver/software from their website when I first got their product. Maybe there's optional software on the distributed CD that comes with the package.

"If User purchased a CA reader , the CA reader is magical CA reader ,it can read original smart card, like Irdeto
,Viaccess, Conax ,Nagravison, Seca…

If User purchased a CI modul ,the CI modul can support the list CAMS:

Compatible CAMs (Conditional Access Module)
Compatible CAM Version
AlphaCrypt 1.0
Aston I 1.05
Astoncrypt 1.03
BataCrypt 1.0
Conax 4.0/4.00e
Cryptoworks 1.0/12011
Irdeto 1.06/2.09
Nagravision All
Pentacrypt 1.05
SECA I & II 1.05
Viaccess 1.0 V481/ V483
Zeta Cam N/A"

Although not intimately familiar with the system architecture, I believe CA resides higher than MPEG decode and delivery, which is the main function of the DVB card, as far as the host PC is concerned.

As a practical matter, I interpret this to mean that a card reader would *not* enumerate in Windows, and also to mean that there is no standard "nagravision compatible program". Essentially, it's an inseparable part of the DVB card. This isn't of course to suggest that undecoded packets could not be transmitted to the PC, but it would be a non-standard mode of operation.

Ah, now that I see one, I can say what I had imagined was pretty much on target. So for now, I'll stand by my original comments. The host PC doesn't need to see it, so there should be no drivers.

Hmmm? So, I should be able to download apps like these and somehow it would recognize my card reader and start using it like any another USB smartcard reader. If that were the case, wouldnt WIndows also start the smartcard service when the smartcard device is detected? I know that at goverment facilities where they use smartcard authentication on their keyboards, the smartcard windows service is enabled and a a general smartcard device is shown in WIndows device manager.

In theory, I should just be able to put my nagrovision smartcard from my WorldTV receiver and put it in my nagrovision compatible card reader mentioned above, and if WorldTV wants to, they can marry my card to my PC receiver as long as I'm tuned into the encrypted channel?

I still dont know if nagrovision pairs to the receiver's MAC or proprietary nagrovision serial. If its a proprietary serial #, each receiver would get basically two serial numbers (one a MAC address and the other the proprietary serial)

It would be great to have someone chime in here who really knows what they are talking about from an engineering perspective. Its really easy to say, oh Globcast dont pair with any other receivers. What I'm looking for is if they are willing to, will they be able to do it with this device (which looks intended for it).

Ah, now that I see one, I can say what I had imagined was pretty much on target. So for now, I'll stand by my original comments. The host PC doesn't need to see it, so there should be no drivers.

Hmmm? So, I should be able to download apps like these and somehow it would recognize my card reader and start using it like any another USB smartcard reader.

No, I am saying exactly the opposite. It doesn't look to me like a general smart card reader, and likely there was never any attention or thought given to the possibility. I would be surprised to learn otherwise. What I am suggesting is it is merely the physical implementation of the CA layer in the DVB spec. Nothing more.

Oh okay. That makes sense. So, now we're left with how to test this CA implementation. They obviously went through significant research and development to implement this. I'm just curious how it was meant/designed to work; presuming WorldTV is willing.

No, I am saying exactly the opposite. It doesn't look to me like a general smart card reader, and likely there was never any attention or thought given to the possibility. I would be surprised to learn otherwise. What I am suggesting is it is merely the physical implementation of the CA layer in the DVB spec. Nothing more.

If you use DVB Dream as your app, there is a menu item called CI/CAM Console under the Tools menu. It seems this might be a good starting point.

Oh nice! I wonder if it's as simple as I think it is. There's a checkbox "Active" to turn it on. I enabled it.

I wish there was a way to test it. I haven't received my nagra smartcard yet.

If you use DVB Dream as your app, there is a menu item called CI/CAM Console under the Tools menu. It seems this might be a good starting point.

CA Card Read lights up when a real smartcard is put in!

Well, I received my WorldTV smartcard today. It is set for getting the Armenian channel; however, it needs to be "activated" on the WorldTV receiver that I haven't received yet in the mail which looks exactly like the one in this link:

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150355121333

Just for kicks, I put my smartcard in my nagravision capable card reader on my PC and walah!!!... The blue light lights up on it like a Christmas tree. The red like is on all the time to show its working and connected to the WorldDVB USB device.

This is why I want so much for it to work the way it was designed to. It's completely ready to receive an activation signal! To bad I cant get any further than this:

DVB-SA-CA-2.jpg

eBayISAPI.dll

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sort of

Damn, I'm good. :)

I'm not going into too much detail, but I'll just say this:

You can use your card reader for Irdeto subscription channels; just, not for the Nagravision protected ones. Nagravision encryption inherently pairs the smartcard serial # with the CA serial number. There are some channels which look like they have both Irdeto and Nagra.

BTW, Software like DVB Dream will not inherantely support this CA card reader.. you'll need to look for the addon (not provided/supported by DVBWorld).

plug.jpg

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)