Am I the only one that noticed...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
What is this 'mapdown'? Is it simply mirroring a channel elsewhere?

If so, why do they even send HDs in the 9400's? Why not just send them to the actual lower channel, like 105 or 109?

And while I'm at it, why even leave the SD channels there when there is an HD channel? If I sub to only an HD package, will I still see those darned SD clones?

The channel reads LF1 (mapdown of 9645).

Wasn't there some kind of public service show about energy sponsored by Shell Oil on this channel several months ago but has been off the air for some time now?

Weird too - it self-populated LIST 2 on my favorites and I had to go in a clear LIST2 to make it stop showing up when I cycled through my favorites.

The LF1 was not a public service show, it was a flat-out commercial for Shell, but in what is called "long form" film version. Companies create a film with more rounded characters and situations with a story arc that are really just a great big commercial. It really is just another channel where companies or individuals can pay to have aired whatever they want. The Heaven's Gate cult bought time on satellites to air their view. The LF1 is made for such content. Hey, any of us can produce a video, then pay Dish to air it on the LF1 and we have instant access to whomever.

Also, have ye noticed channel 123 paid programming they a stuffing in between the good channels. Now that is annoying.

I was hopping they would have moved Spike to 123 but no just what we don't need another 24/7 Paid Programming waste of space. Do they actually think someone would actually watch infomercials if they shove them in between good channels. Paid Programming is the plaque of TV and I don't want to hear that bull that it makes our bill lower. It still goes up every February so they don't do a thing but annoy people. Rant over.

Well there is something on there now.

A white guy sprays himself with something and he turns black.

After that beautiful white women either lick him, bite him or tear him apart.

A strange show. :confused:

What is this 'mapdown'? Is it simply mirroring a channel elsewhere?

Yes. Essentially a channel somewhere else in the line-up has a tag that tells the receiver to show it on another channel on your EPG.

If so, why do they even send HDs in the 9400's? Why not just send them to the actual lower channel, like 105 or 109?
Software issues. The receiver can really only make out one "real" channel per channel number. If the HD channel and the SD channel were on the same channel number from the satellite, the receiver would crash like Richard Petty at Daytona! This was tested not too long ago on some PI channels for a few days and it was ugly.

And while I'm at it, why even leave the SD channels there when there is an HD channel? If I sub to only an HD package, will I still see those darned SD clones?
Two reasons pop to mind right away.
1)not every TV in the house is HD for most folks and some have a mix of HD and SD tuners in their homes.
2) Less room to record a program if it's not terribly important or if it wasn't HD to begin with.

And the most important reason for me is to eliminate "Stretch-O-Vision". Any program is stretch-o-vision will trigger an innate reflex causing me to change the channel! If I have an HD counterpart, I can still watch the program in OAR.

---------------
A little review on terms:

Mapped Channel:
A channel has a tag that makes the receiver put it on another location. The mapped channel numbers do not exists on the satellite EPG or system tables.
--Local channels are "mapped" to their local channel numbers.
--HD channels are "Mapped" to their SD counterparts' channel number

Mirrored Channel:
A channel is placed on two different channel numbers directly from Dish. A mirrored channel can also be mapped.
--USA Network HD is uplinked to channels 4105, 5328, 5502 and 9431. Every one of those channels is really the same video stream at 110° transponder 17. So we way USA Network is mirrored on channels 4105, 5328, 5502 and 9431. There is no wasted bandwidth here.
--Channels 5105 and 9431 are MAPPED to channel 138. The other two aren't mapped at all.
(9431 "Home", 5502 AK/HI HD pack, 5328 Dish Latino MAX HD, 4105 "Mystery Pack")

Duplicated Channel (sometimes referred to a "mirrored satellite")
A channel is placed on the same channel number on two different satellites such as 61.5° and 148° or 61.5° and 129°. A subscriber is never supposed to see both satellites at the same time.
---Most HD channels are at 61.5° and 129°. This has to do with "look angle".

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts