Am I wrong?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

SatelliteGAL

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Amherst, NY (Buffalo suburb)
I thought that the 942 was supposed to recognize when a program started late and not start recording until the named program actually started. Such as Cold Case started 40 minutes late tonight but my 942 recorded 40 min of 60 minutes. Am I wrong? This is not the first time it has happened.

SatelliteGAL said:
I thought that the 942 was supposed to recognize when a program started late and not start recording until the named program actually started. Such as Cold Case started 40 minutes late tonight but my 942 recorded 40 min of 60 minutes. Am I wrong? This is not the first time it has happened.

Did a sporting event push back the start of Cold Case? If this is the case, your 942 sees that Closed Case is still starting at 8 because the guide never changed.

Always pad if a sporting event is the previous show or try to apply for waivers for a different time zones channel.

yeah, the above the correct. It follows the program in the guide, but since it wasn't possible to add a delay in the guide, nothing could be done...

Can the 942 be set to extend the time on the back end like the 625? I always make sure during sporting event times that I pad the "end time." It's really the only way to be sure.

This may be what happend to a recording I had set on my 622 as it was suppoed to record CSI at 9 pm but recorded 1 hour of cold case and only 23 minutes of CSI.

Yep, I think all the shows on CBS were off last night as a result of the BB games. (at least on the East coast).

NBR does deal with event delays (if they're scheduled). There is currently NO way for the provider of the EPG to update guide info in real time.

DucTape said:
I was under the assumption that NBR was supposed to deal with event delays but with the timer bugs I guess it's a crap shoot right now.

So in CBS eyes if you are watching live (NON DVR) the NCAA announcers are telling you what's coming up next and you should stay put. They do not care that your EPG guide is off because a game went into overtime.

NBR can't deal with that unless CBS (or wherever they get it from) sends updated EPG info every 10 minutes.

DucTape said:
I was under the assumption that NBR was supposed to deal with event delays but with the timer bugs I guess it's a crap shoot right now.

That's what I thought. That's when it is important for it to tell there was a change in programming. It's no big deal if it isn't on at all .... I would just delete the incorrect show.

There is no way to know how long a game will run over. Do you all pad it by an hour? That seems like such a waste.

And.... Thanx for thr replies

SatelliteGAL said:
That's what I thought. That's when it is important for it to tell there was a change in programming. It's no big deal if it isn't on at all .... I would just delete the incorrect show.
There is no way to know how long a game will run over. Do you all pad it by an hour? That seems like such a waste.

Yes I usually pad it at least an hour when sporting events are involved. I'm not a big DVR junkie (and I routinely d/l stuff onto VHS) so I rarely have a space issue on my 625, so padding the programs I want isn't a big problem.

There is just no way to update the EPG info as changes are made on the fly, at least without compromising system performance. I'm sure, though, that live EPG is not too far off in the future.

one key need for this to function as we all would like is the broadcasters need to update Dish before they can publish to the dvr/epg.
As i understand this. normally the epg is only updated once per day. So even if dish was to make this more dynamic, do the broadcaster send "messages" identifying the start and end of programs or something that tells the dvr to start recording.

Also the issue i have with the padding item's is, if you pad on these "sports nights" it makes recording back to back on different channels much harder. as you will end up with overlapping events and so may cause some events to be dropped or not recordable completely due to the priority conflicts mechanism. That's why i have multiple dvr's ! :D

Some channels will start or end a show later than it is scheduled to throw people off on their DVR's and/or get them to keep watching that channel because all the other shows had already started by that time.

SatelliteGAL said:

Pad by at least an 1 hour.

Liberal use of 1 hr pads on HD channels really eats a lot of space.

I lost Cold Case two weeks in a row.

Finally switched to the West Coast Feed. More timer conflicts at that time (I'm on Denver with a 921). Ended up moving HBO/Sho to later in the week.

Back to the 622...
How about the pads? Do they go away with conflicts? My Sunday nights are the worst and ABC is notorious. I don't consider the pads optional.

So I want Grey's with 3 minute pads. Will the 622 keep my pads AND automatically move HBO/Sho to an alternate showing?

(I have a feeling I'll be back to manual timers to get what I want)

agreed sunday is a nightmare, actually tuesday is busy too.
The 942 doesnt seem that intelligent to decide ok, as you have a conflict i will pick a repeat later in the day or week. I manually go in and say skip the conflict and then it picks a later one.
Also it doesnt identify that recording on both tuners is a conflict if i also want to watch live tv. It would be nice to have a "dont use tuner n for dvr events between hh:mm and HH:mm" option somewhere, but as i said elsewhere that's why i have multiple dvr's. because i dont have a real life. :devil:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts