AM21N: no power light or functionality, receiver still getting power

eatrains

Original poster
Apr 10, 2023
USA
I think my AM21 has given up the ghost. The blue power light no longer comes on and tuning to an OTA channel gives a "Tuner Removed" error. However, the connected HR24 still gets power through the AM21. Anyone know of a way to revive it or is it a lost cause?

Interesting . On Monday I tried to watch a channel on my AM 21 after not using it for the past few months and I received the same message, Tuner Removed . Resetting both the AM 21 and receiver and I still could not watch the station . Wonder if Directv has shut them down .

Just checking the basics, did you unplug both for a little bit, then re-power, after boot up reconnect the USB? If no blue light it is likely the power supply in the AM21 failed. They are down to $50 range on eBay, so not worth trying to repair unless you are really handy with a soldering iron.

I suppose since most AM21's were manufactured 2008-2011 you could say you received good value for your money on that device :)

If you have an HR44 / HR54 you could watch for a local channel connector to come up for sale instead, much smaller footprint. I glanced on eBay and didn't see any AM21's or LCC's for sale today, but if you set a search alert it will email you when they come up. Looking at sold listings they're still pretty regular listings in the $50-$70 range (for either). Good luck if you decide to replace it.

Just checking the basics, did you unplug both for a little bit, then re-power, after boot up reconnect the USB? If no blue light it is likely the power supply in the AM21 failed. They are down to $50 range on eBay, so not worth trying to repair unless you are really handy with a soldering iron.

I suppose since most AM21's were manufactured 2008-2011 you could say you received good value for your money on that device :)

If you have an HR44 / HR54 you could watch for a local channel connector to come up for sale instead, much smaller footprint. I glanced on eBay and didn't see any AM21's or LCC's for sale today, but if you set a search alert it will email you when they come up. Looking at sold listings they're still pretty regular listings in the $50-$70 range (for either). Good luck if you decide to replace it.

I've decided to take this opportunity to upgrade from an HR24/AM21 to an HR54/LCC, so water under the bridge at this point.

But you mentioned the power supply and was curious, I guess its power supply is totally independent from the mains power that's forwarded along to the receiver? I thought it was funny that the AM21 itself seemed dead but the receiver could still get power through it.

I've decided to take this opportunity to upgrade from an HR24/AM21 to an HR54/LCC, so water under the bridge at this point.

But you mentioned the power supply and was curious, I guess its power supply is totally independent from the mains power that's forwarded along to the receiver? I thought it was funny that the AM21 itself seemed dead but the receiver could still get power through it.
Maybe not the power supply then, but if it was just the blue light burning out, well, you'd still have channels, so it must be something else. Either way the Genie and LCC is probably a nice upgrade. Where did you get the LCC?

Maybe not the power supply then, but if it was just the blue light burning out, well, you'd still have channels, so it must be something else. Either way the Genie and LCC is probably a nice upgrade. Where did you get the LCC?

Got it off eBay, but I need to get a power adapter for it. The LCC’s label says it needs 5v 1a, but doesn’t list the polarity it needs for the plug.