Amazon reportedly launching free, ad-supported video streaming service

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/21/amazon-ad-supported-streaming-rumor/

Amazon is set to launch a free, ad-supported video service separate from its $99 Prime Instant Video offering, according to the New York Post. In case you're having deja vu, theWSJ reported exactly the same thing back in March and Amazon firmly denied it. However, the Post confidently said that the offering is now a definite "go." One of its sources for the rumor is a potential advertiser, which said Amazon would unveil the service in order to increase its video share against arch-rival Netflix -- and ultimately tempt users into Prime memberships.

Interesting, if they did do that, it might have the opposite effect. There's a lot less on Prime now that I care to watch than there use to be and they went up ten dollars, Prime shipping benefits aren't what they were anymore either.
I've been contemplating cancelling my Prime service when it runs out this year, all the more reason to cancel if they do that, commercials don't bother me any, unless they're like every five minutes!

Interesting, if they did do that, it might have the opposite effect. There's a lot less on Prime now that I care to watch than there use to be and they went up ten dollars, Prime shipping benefits aren't what they were anymore either.
I've been contemplating cancelling my Prime service when it runs out this year, all the more reason to cancel if they do that, commercials don't bother me any, unless they're like every five minutes!

I dropped my Prime membership at the end of October when it was time to re-up it. I liked the free shipping, but there wasn't much "free" shows to watch. Many of the stuff I wanted to watch, wasn't free... So, I'm not about to pay more money for what is left.

they offer credits to take slower shipping options and it costs more now
Cost more since when? Since as long as I can remember having it it has been free 2 day and 3.99 overnight.

And how does offering credits for taking a slower option make it worse? You don't have to take the credits or the slower shipping.

Maybe I'm not paying close enough attention but I've never noticed an option to take credits for slower shipping. Lately I've been ordering Prime stuff several times a week (new house) and I'm still quite pleased with their service.

Its been there for a few weeks at least.

They give you an instant video credit or something like that for no rush shipping.

Its usually a buck or so.

Which considering that two day is free and overnight is $4 .....I make my membership back in shipping costs easily.

Cost more since when? Since as long as I can remember having it it has been free 2 day and 3.99 overnight.

And how does offering credits for taking a slower option make it worse? You don't have to take the credits or the slower shipping.
when the price went up to $99

Prime shipping isn't what it was? how so?

If you pay attention to the prices of other vendors, Prime items are almost always more and equal out to the item price plus shipping from other vendors, sometimes the Prime item is even more expensive. So the only benefit is the two day shipping and myself I don't really care about getting items quick. It's nice to get them quick, but not $99 dollars/yr worth nice.

Hmm, on things I personally buy I've found I usually come out ahead with prime and get fast shipping to boot. That and I get my purchased backed by amazon if there is a problem instead of a third party.

I generally pay close attention to pricing, but will make sure to keep a closer eye out for what you've said here.

That said, even with even pricing shipping included I'd go for $99 a year , take the streaming and music services (and book) and benefit from "free" 2 day. I generally use it enough that it pays.

Hmm, on things I personally buy I've found I usually come out ahead with prime and get fast shipping to boot. That and I get my purchased backed by amazon if there is a problem instead of a third party.

I generally pay close attention to pricing, but will make sure to keep a closer eye out for what you've said here.

That said, even with even pricing shipping included I'd go for $99 a year , take the streaming and music services (and book) and benefit from "free" 2 day. I generally use it enough that it pays.

Having the purchase backed by Amazon is one benefit that I'd forgotten about, there has been a few times I've had issues and they resolved it lightning fast, that is most definitely a plus there. Is the book deal still only one free one a month? It's been quite a while since I used it.

Honestly I don't know, my wife uses that more than me.

On that backed by amazon, I had a cell booster that I sent back as defective, non original packaging. They refunded full price and one day shipping before I even dropped the thing off for ups.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)