Amazon reportedly looking to open as many as 400 brick and mortar stores

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poke

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
OK
http://www.neowin.net/news/amazon-reportedly-looking-to-open-as-many-as-400-brick-and-mortar-stores

In what may be seen as a shocking plot twist, Amazon is rumored to be opening as many as four hundred brick and mortar stores across the US.

Amazon, a company famous for its universal online store, took its first step into the world of physical retail late last year, when it opened the first Amazon book store in Seattle. But according to a report from the Wall Street Journal, that may have just been the tip of the iceberg in terms of the company’s ambition for physical retail presence.

Citing the CEO of mall operator General Growth Properties, the Journal is claiming that Amazon might be looking to open as many as 400 physical stores across the US. This would be an unprecedented push from the online retailer, which would now further compete with the relatively few physical book stores that are left.

Back in Seattle, the company’s first, and currently only, physical store is seen as the perfect blend between Amazon’s online advantages and the convenience of a real-world bookstore. The company highlights online reviews for some of its titles, handles book curation based on user reviews and the entire store is stocked in accordance with what’s selling well online. This may prove a model for future stores if this report, which was downplayed by Amazon’s PR reps as based only on speculation, turns out to be accurate.

However, Amazon is also known for its innovations in retail and there’s further informed speculation that the company may use physical stores as a base for product returns, and also as a jumping off point for the expansion of Prime and one-hour delivery services across the country.

Whether Amazon stores will start popping up in malls across the US remains to be seen, but even if the giant retailer does indeed have plans for physical locations, it will likely take years before the company reaches its supposed desired goal of four hundred stores.

space will be no problem, they can take over closed sears and k mart locations. sears is in full collapse.

too late to buy out Borders, but Barnes and Nobe is in trouble as well. They have about 640 stores and seem to be closing 50-100 every year.

Interesting strategy to have a place where potential customers may also find and test some of amazon´s electronic items.

So they are going to adopt the model that put their competitors under?
Too much overhead, they will be the next Sears or Kmart.

I understand right now they only have one store, already hiring for stores to be opened.

But I would really want to see how it goes after a few months of operating their stores.....:rolleyes:

The idea of Amazon is that I don't have to get off the couch to go to a store.

Yep, that´s why I use Amazon.

I read they will use the stores to display their stuff like Echo, etc, to attract people, let them test their stuff and make some sales that way. I wonder if their research showed that will justify the opening of hundreds of stores.

Guess only time will tell...

Reactions: fred555
They have weakened the bookstores, even many electronic stores. They can price themselves below any remaining competition and rule the market. Unsure about an Echo? Fire TV? Fire Tablet? Go to the store now and see it, get a demonstration. Until more recent history Amazon was not so much selling their products as selling products period. The change is happening where they feel they can compete with their own products. Highly likely they will have a full home automation system of their own coming, and a host of other things that all can connect with the Echo or Fire TV/Stick.
Also, to those doubting this, don't you think these will become mini distribution centers able to deliver in the same day some of the more popular items, especially theirs? Those drone deliveries are not just a pipe dream.

Reactions: fred555
They have weakened the bookstores, even many electronic stores. They can price themselves below any remaining competition and rule the market. Unsure about an Echo? Fire TV? Fire Tablet? Go to the store now and see it, get a demonstration. Until more recent history Amazon was not so much selling their products as selling products period. The change is happening where they feel they can compete with their own products. Highly likely they will have a full home automation system of their own coming, and a host of other things that all can connect with the Echo or Fire TV/Stick.
Also, to those doubting this, don't you think these will become mini distribution centers able to deliver in the same day some of the more popular items, especially theirs? Those drone deliveries are not just a pipe dream.

I live in the middle of nowhere and they actually now have a one hour delivery on some items.

Reactions: Tampa8
I really want to see how this goes.

If they can take the advantage of the stores for more than that, it could be a great success.

Their R&D dept should have crunched some numbers (it would be interesting to see them), that justify the move.

But I still think, how many customers buy on amazon, because they don´t have to get off their couch as Fred mentioned, how many prefer that convenience, even thought delivery may take more than 2 days.

How many customers buy on amazon because on their website they can find rare stuff not available in their local stores.

I like amazon, because I can have stuff delivered to my home without going out, i don´t care much for delivery time as long as it is reasonable.

Amazon opened a warehouse in Mexico half a year ago, one day I wanted to buy this US print book, to my surprise it was out of stock on Amazon US, but it was available on the Amazon Mexico site, I placed my order about 11 PM, and my book arrived the very next day with express courier at around 3 PM, and I didn´t even pay anything for shipping, That´s convenient I thought...:wink

amazon should buy sears k mart retail, and rebrand as amazon sears...

instantly having the amazon retail stores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts