AMC-1 Radio Channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The one I listen to comes from Valdosta GA on 88.5 and although not often, yes, they've played Chevelle. But they might not be using the sat feed all the time either....

Air1 plays Chevelle? They usually sound way too much like KLOVE for my tastes...strange since they're owned by the same people.
I heard POD on there the other day and I thought the Sirius was on.
(my Sirius fm transmitter is set to 97.7 which worked great until Air1 slapped a transmitter in the NW Metro...now it works fine unless I'm going to the lake then I have to flip to a different station when I go through the NW metro) ;)

I'm 99% sure Refuge Radio is up there....somewhere on Ku. As Christian music goes, it's far more upbeat and diverse -- especially at night.

I thought they were too. They have to be for a couple reasons
-they have a huge translator farm
-because most of their stations are in the non-comm side (88-92) that allows them to transmit to those stations via satellite. The ones above 92 they have to get it OTA from another station

On a side note, when I lived in Duluth they (refuge radio) was in the KDLH Building in downtown Duluth (CBS 3) until they (CBS) were bought and moved in with NBC 6. Refuge moved to the airport area.

I heard Stryper on KLOVE the other day when I was hitting the "scan" button :haha

Air1 seems to copy them over half of the time, which is rather odd to me. POD and Chris Tomlin (church music leader) are oil and water together...

An old co-worker is the manager up at The Refuge now, and she loves it. They'd like to get into the Cities, but that's a huge hurdle with money and space and the usual. I need to ask her about their uplink the next time I see her :)

The KU side of AMC1 is off by 25-26 degrees. So for me in Minneapolis to get "optimum" signal on there I have to skew the LNB as if I was on SBS6/H2. The C-Band side is fine. As noted above, it is that way and we have had been that way since day 1.

I remember an uplinker telling us that...let me find it
edit: found it ;)

http://www.satelliteguys.us/1047803-post17.html

Some of the stronger signals work fine even with the "offset" offset (ie: the skew being what would be considered normal) but the news feeds you have to skew the LNB differently to get them all...mainly because they run at lower power to begin with so
lower power + skew messed up on dish = no or little quality

Ice,

OK, so I am probably not scanning in all of the active feed channels because I have not compensated for this. The stronger signals are coming in ok, but could possibly be improved if I were to play with the skew (polarity of the LNBF)?

Which direction should the LNBF be skewed if I am standing in front (south) of the dish? CW or CCW? I would assume CW since you state that it is akin to polarizing it for H2. Am I correct?

I will try this in the next few days if it is nice and warm and clear skies. I won't be able to leave it set there as this is on my motorized dish and would mess up the other sats. However, I am curious.

Thanks Ice and B.J.

Radar

Thanks! This has helped me to decide. Would a 36" dish be what I would need? And any specific receiver?

yep they are there...just checked...ones in BOLD are active...69 quality on Coolsat with "normal" skew (normal as in on a motor)

11804 V 3500

you have to scroll through the language/audio pids but they are there. Matched them up with global-cm.net list
8191 0036 Audio: 2 God's Country Radio Gospel/Country
8191 0037 Audio: 8 Air-1 Radio Contemporary Christian Music
8191 0038 Audio: 3 K-Love Radio Contemporary Christian Music
8191 0039 Audio: 4 K-Love Radio Contemporary Christian Music
8191 0040 Audio: 6 Air-1 Radio Contemporary Christian Music
8191 0041 Audio: 9 K-Love Radio Contemporary Christian Music
8191 0043 Audio: 5 Air-1 Radio Contemporary Christian Music
8191 0044 Audio: 7 Spare audio channel
8191 0045 Audio: 1 K-Love Radio Contemporary Christian Music

A 36" will work great. I have a Primestar 84E pointed to AMC1 and get 90% on the signal meter. You would also get the Pentagon Channel on the video side

Thanks! This has helped me to decide. Would a 36" dish be what I would need? And any specific receiver?

An old co-worker is the manager up at The Refuge now, and she loves it. They'd like to get into the Cities, but that's a huge hurdle with money and space and the usual. I need to ask her about their uplink the next time I see her :)

They have 2 stations here in the Cities
91.5 in the Mpls area
106.5 in Elko

Ice,

OK, so I am probably not scanning in all of the active feed channels because I have not compensated for this. The stronger signals are coming in ok, but could possibly be improved if I were to play with the skew (polarity of the LNBF)?
yes the weaker signals will come in better :)
the stronger ones will come in even if the skew is off.

Which direction should the LNBF be skewed if I am standing in front (south) of the dish? CW or CCW? I would assume CW since you state that it is akin to polarizing it for H2. Am I correct?
yes. You have to play with it a little bit to find optimum quality. But yes its set about to what it would be for H2.

I will try this in the next few days if it is nice and warm and clear skies. I won't be able to leave it set there as this is on my motorized dish and would mess up the other sats. However, I am curious.

Thanks Ice and B.J.

Radar

Ive thought about adding a LNB to the side of the motorized with the skew offset just to see if it would work

A 36" would be great. Some folks here report excellent results with the Winegard .76 cm as well.

For receiving radio signals almost any receiver should work. I'd recommend getting a Fortec Star, Traxxis or a Coolsat. Many of which can be purchased new or second hand.

Try to support the sponsors listed above. You don't mention where you live. In order to get the best shipping rates try to pick someone closest to your location. For example, Sadoun is in Ohio and SatelliteAV is in California. Mike Kohl at global communications can set you up if you are near Wisconsin.

There is one other dealer worth mentioning although I have not purchased anything from him. Perhaps someone can comment on Taylor Enterprises Satelite Unusual Taylor Enterprises MPEG2fta Digital Receivers They have a sweet deal on a Traxis 3500, Winegard .76cm dish and LNBF provided the shipping isn't too much. Seem like a perfect setup for FTA satellite radio.

If you are just looking for audio channels I would not pick the Coolsat as 1st choice because you can't manually add channels as easily as other receivers. Here is what I mean

There are 3 or 4 audio channels on that one signal. So you have to scroll through the audio languages to find the right ones. Some of us have added the channels manually. You type in all the info (freq, polarity, symbol rate, and PIDS) and then you have 4 separate radio channels. The problem with the Coolsat 4/5/6000 models is you cant add them via the receiver. You can only edit existing info. So you could do one channel but not all 4

My location is outside of Nashville, TN. I also would like to get RTN, which I gather is another issue with signal strength. I would need a motor to change satellites.

A 36" would be great. Some folks here report excellent results with the Winegard .76 cm as well.

For receiving radio signals almost any receiver should work. I'd recommend getting a Fortec Star, Traxxis or a Coolsat. Many of which can be purchased new or second hand.

Try to support the sponsors listed above. You don't mention where you live. In order to get the best shipping rates try to pick someone closest to your location. For example, Sadoun is in Ohio and SatelliteAV is in California. Mike Kohl at global communications can set you up if you are near Wisconsin.

There is one other dealer worth mentioning although I have not purchased anything from him. Perhaps someone can comment on Taylor Enterprises Satelite Unusual Taylor Enterprises MPEG2fta Digital Receivers They have a sweet deal on a Traxis 3500, Winegard .76cm dish and LNBF provided the shipping isn't too much. Seem like a perfect setup for FTA satellite radio.

My location is outside of Nashville, TN. I also would like to get RTN, which I gather is another issue with signal strength. I would need a motor to change satellites.

RTN on 83W has been a problem for me, but I think that is a problem of my own.

You are in a very good location for this satellite. I attached the EIRP map for 83.0W

You are in the "HOT" zone for reception from this sat. 51 dBW. Which means that a 50 cm dish is minimum required. The dish you have is likely larger than that so you should be well set up.

Radar

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_04 Apr. 05 02.39.gif
    ScreenHunter_04 Apr. 05 02.39.gif
    37.6 KB · Views: 115

Some people have been saying that a one meter is the way to go for RTN. I get an acceptable signal from my 90cm motorized dish in New Mexico.

Yes, you would need a motor to span those two birds. Either that or two dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)