AMC 14 Satellite Launch Failure - What now for Dish?

Not to rain on some people's parade here but:

There are lots of other launch facilities that are not 'booked up' if they had a ground spare, they could get it up if they wanted. (Wallops Island Va is just one)

Open your umbrella. ;)

Wallops Island has 2 problems:
1. They are limited in the size of launcher they can handle right now.
2. They are located further from the equator than say, Cape Canaveral.

Payloads are built for certain launchers that are meant for certain locations. The closer you are to the equator, the greater mass a launcher can lift into orbit. Simple physics.

Plus, a satellite doesn't just fit onto any launcher. There are mating concerns. ILS has done work on making the connection as common as possible for their Proton and Atlas launchers. But you don't just take a payload off a Proton and slap it onto a Sea Launch, for example. The physical and electrical connections are different. Plus, the vibrations, G forces and other conditions experienced during launch vary from launcher to launcher, making some launchers unsuitable for some satellites. To beat that to death, a human rated launcher has far greater reliability and redundancy but also, generally, less vibration and sometimes lower G forces.

It doesn't matter if Wallops is available, anyway. The constraints aren't usually regarding the availability of a launch site. It's the availability of the launcher itself. These rockets aren't just kept on the shelf, they're built to order. The only exception to this that I know of, for commercial satellite launches, where rockets were built on an assembly line and actually warehoused, was - ta da - the Proton. And even they don't do that any more. Matter of economics.

Yep, I agree. Of course Dish/Echostar/SES/ILS etc all have plan B, and C and every foreseeable contingency has been considered. It is amusing that some people post that these massive corporations are winging it. And they're certainly not going to help their competition by revealing their plans any earlier than they have to.

Open your umbrella. ;)

Wallops Island has 2 problems:
1. They are limited in the size of launcher they can handle right now.
2. They are located further from the equator than say, Cape Canaveral.

I've not checked the specs between the two, but Wallops can handle Minitaurs, but I believe they are considerably smaller than the proton. 2 went from here last year w/ satellites.

These satellites also push the limits on payload capacity. They want as much fuel as possible to increase satellite life. The arrary of dishes also are challenging size wise. They have to all fold up to fit in the rocket then you hope they can unfold successfully (unlike E4 did). As sealaunch and proton increase their payload capacities the satellites go right on up in size too.

I've not checked the specs between the two, but Wallops can handle Minitaurs, but I believe they are considerably smaller than the proton. 2 went from here last year w/ satellites.

The minotaur is miniscule in comparison to the Proton (and other Rockets that carry communications satellites). Wallops doesnt have the capability to support large rockets.

The Minotaur can lift a 500-1000lb satellite into a transfer orbit...AMC-14 weighed 9000lb+...It wouldnt even clear the launch pad with that baby on top....

It's nice that you're so emphatic. You're also wrong. Why are you wrong?
Must carry becomes must carry digital.

So the HD locals like PBS and CW that are broadcasting in HD but aren't part of the HD locals are going to need to be part of each HD locals package. So we've just gone from 4 to 6 HD broadcasters in the vast majority of markets. You've nowlowered your market capacity as you also have to carry any other channels that are broadcasting in SD digital. On the + side, you do get to drop the SD versions, they might add up to 1 HD channel. So you have 1 HD channel + N number of SD digitals that could convert over to HD at any time with available content.

Dish will get some transponder space back with the shutoff of the analog SD locals. Depending on where on the satellite farm these TPs are it might be only a modest drop in capacity.

If the services provider is smart, they'll allocate based on all channels becoming HD so they want have to do transponder shuffling.

Please feel free to provide the counter argument to me.

You're very oddly rolling at least 3 different issues into 1. What I was responding to was what I thought was a very common misunderstanding of the 2009 broadcast digital mandate. The FCC and NAB have done a piss-poor job of explaining what it means. The person to whom I was replying, clairified. However, now you're combining multiple issues into a single one. There will indeed be an increase in the number of channels carried IF the FCC demands that Dish carry all subchannels. However, you are also assuming that Dish will be forced to carry all HD feeds of every channel in every local market they provide. This is not the case. In markets where they provide HD locals, they don't even provide all the availible HD locals. For example, the San Francisco Bay Area market, is one of the larger ones, but they only carry 4 of the many channels which broadcast HD feeds. Also, you're claiming that a local broadcaster will be providing multiple subchannels in HD. They simply do not have the bandwidth to do that. Unless the broadcaster compresses the HD feeds so far beyond HD lite, that they hardly qualify as HD, you aren't going to get 6 HD subchannels from an OTA broadcaster. For example, in the Sacramento, CA market, the local PBS affiliate has 4 subchannels. When they start showing HD programming in the evening, they drop 2 of the subchannels. That clear some things up for you?

Dish and DIRECTV will lose the battle like they did before. They will eventually be forced to carry all the HD channels in a market. They will probably also be forced to carry sub channels. There are way too many rich companies in the broadcasting world with powerful ties to Washington. Just like with SD LiL it will only be a matter of time before something will be mandated.

Right now Dish/DIRECTV are trying to delay the process as much as possible to be able to get capacity up. DIRECTV may have capacity in the air after the next launch but on the ground they would need a lot more fiber.

Dish and DIRECTV will lose the battle like they did before. They will eventually be forced to carry all the HD channels in a market. They will probably also be forced to carry sub channels. There are way too many rich companies in the broadcasting world with powerful ties to Washington. Just like with SD LiL it will only be a matter of time before something will be mandated.

Right now Dish/DIRECTV are trying to delay the process as much as possible to be able to get capacity up. DIRECTV may have capacity in the air after the next launch but on the ground they would need a lot more fiber.

Exactly. It may be an eventuality, but it isn't imminent, and certainly not tied to the 2009 analog shutoff date.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)