AMC-15 On line ?

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
I checked my signal strenght this morning for the 105 sat. I have numbers in the high 80's. Never had numbers that high before. Would it be of any use to re-peak my dish?

God, I hope so. For the past week or so when I get home, I have no signal. Its getting old. If its not up yet Im getting on the roof and tweaking it myself.

bryan92 said:
God, I hope so. For the past week or so when I get home, I have no signal. Its getting old. If its not up yet Im getting on the roof and tweaking it myself.
From where you are living you should have had a signal some where in the 50's or 60's at least with the old satellite.

For those of us who use AMC-15 Lets report our numbers for comparison purposes. State where you are, what transponder and value. I use transponder #5 and was at 87 here in Cola. S.C. under clear skies.

So, what's the obligation here? I'm at low 30s, if this is "new" then I'm guessing my dish has to be re-peaked. Do I have to pay to have Dish come out and re-peak it? They did the original install.

I don't know if all transponders were turned on all at once. 30's seems to be a low figure even for the old satellite. It all depends on what transponder you use for your locals where you are in regards to that signal footprint and your set up to include weather conditions. My guess with a signal in the 30's you may have a pre-existing alignment issue. I don't think there should be an alignment issue to that magnitude with the new satellite if any at all..

I think I have the famous "plastic dish too hot" thing going on. I couldnt stand it so I went home and mine still wont lock. I has no signal whatsoever. It comes back around 8 o'clock after its cooled off to 91 degrees. :D
As much as I hate to Im going to call dish. I was told they are replacing them with metal ones to solve the problem.

bryan92 said:
I think I have the famous "plastic dish too hot" thing going on. I couldnt stand it so I went home and mine still wont lock. I has no signal whatsoever. It comes back around 8 o'clock after its cooled off to 91 degrees. :D
As much as I hate to Im going to call dish. I was told they are replacing them with metal ones to solve the problem.
Gee, I never heard about that problem with the plastic dish. I have wanted to try one being that I have the metal dish. I have read that the plastic one was easier to point. If thats the case living down here in the so called" Sunny South", Daddy don't want one! It's hot and muggy here in Columbia as well. Weatherman says it is going to get around 98 today. It already feels like you could cut it with a knife.

Transponder 15 on 105 signal 57% We were on transponder 18 and signal was between 70 & 80 %. somewhere we were switched to transponder 15! (Northeastern PA)

Transponder 12 here in Augusta, Georgia is 84. Yesterday it was 64. Looks like it's up and going to me. Hope this helps with the rain fade.

Alright, I finally got it to lock. 91 %

BTW if someone can help. This is what my screen says. Ive got 91%, checked switch, rebooted and have no clue what is wrong during the day. Could it be the heat on the dish?
Channel 7480 Lost/Lock
Please wait or channel up or down
Satellite unknown
Transponder 14

EDIT: I got it fixed by pulling the plug. BTW 99-100%. Also heat index was 119 today. Its 111 right now. Man, was it hot.

bryan92 said:
Alright, I finally got it to lock. 91 %

BTW if someone can help. This is what my screen says. Ive got 91%, checked switch, rebooted and have no clue what is wrong during the day. Could it be the heat on the dish?
Channel 7480 Lost/Lock
Please wait or channel up or down
Satellite unknown
Transponder 14

EDIT: I got it fixed by pulling the plug. BTW 99-100%. Also heat index was 119 today. Its 111 right now. Man, was it hot.
I hope that by doing a hard reboot fixed your problem permanently. Wow a signal of 99 to 100 is great news. I did find out last night that if your dish was originally pointed correctly there is no need to re-peak the dish. I tried to re-peak mine which made no difference. My signal is 87. I am at the northern edge of the foot print for transponder 5. Still it's a lot better than before.

I hope so too. I have been doing a soft reboot every week to get my caller ID to work and hopefully after the update today on the 921 the problems will go away altogether. :rolleyes:

As usual, I got this down the chain in a Tech update.. a day late. FYI.

On June 15th 2005 All programming traffic was moved from AMC 2 (105 orbital location) to AMC 15 (105 orbital location), this move resulted in an over all increase of signal strength to all areas served by the 105 orbital location.

It went on to say you may need to tweak your dish to see an increase in signal strength.

BCH said:
Are you sure there will be an update today?
There was supposed to be. I read at 10:30 or so it had been canceled. To no ones surprise. I read it over at DBSforums.
http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=43012
BTW Birdwatcher, surgery went well and I am in very little pain. I had a rotator cuff repaired two years ago and last week one of the screws used to hold the sutures in place came out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts