AMC-15 On line ?

So should I continue to wait before I call E* and complain? I've got a picture, but no signal registering, sometimes barely registering at 39. We had rain yesterday and the signal was gone. I'm in Northeast PA too--WTF?

bcshields said:
As usual, I got this down the chain in a Tech update.. a day late. FYI.

It went on to say you may need to tweak your dish to see an increase in signal strength.
I noticed a signal increase at the 105 orbital slot on the morning of the 15th. I posted my findings with the question would it be necessary to re-peak my dish and received no reply. That evening I couldn't stand it any more so I went outside in the 98 degree furnace and attempted to do this. As I posted earlier it made no difference. The only adjustment I didn't make was to the skew setting. Now my question is should I attempt to tweak the skew setting?

Hello Pablo New,

Pablo_New said:
So should I continue to wait before I call E* and complain? I've got a picture, but no signal registering, sometimes barely registering at 39. We had rain yesterday and the signal was gone. I'm in Northeast PA too--WTF?
I addressed that issue on the first page of this thread for you. You most probably have a pre-existing alignment issue. If you have reservations about adjusting your dish your self call DishNetwork or Your Retailer. Good Luck!

My experience with superdishes is that usually, the elevation has lowered due to the weight of the thing. You might want to try that adjustment first before messing with the skew.

bcshields said:
My experience with superdishes is that usually, the elevation has lowered due to the weight of the thing. You might want to try that adjustment first before messing with the skew.
I already adjusted the vertical and horizontal settings. Before the adjustments I had a reading of 87 on transponder 5 with AMC-15. I could not get a signal above that no matter how hard I tried and believe me I was making very small incremental adjustments until I saw the signal decrease and then go back the other way. Believe me the vertical and horizontal are peaked. Oh btw I have adjusted my dish about every 45 days due to the design of the dish itself and the frequent storms down here. My dish is pointed across a lake with no wind brake.

ByrdWatcher said:
I addressed that issue on the first page of this thread for you. You most probably have a pre-existing alignment issue. If you have reservations about adjusting your dish your self call DishNetwork or Your Retailer. Good Luck!

I know, but I wasn't sure if there were any reason for me to wait, since I didn't know whether everyone is supposed to be switched over by now.

I don't have reservations about adjusting the dish, I just have a lot of them climbing on my roof. :D

Will I be expected to pay for this even though the original install was done by E*, assuming it was they who didn't align it correctly in the first place?

Pablo_New said:
I know, but I wasn't sure if there were any reason for me to wait, since I didn't know whether everyone is supposed to be switched over by now.

I don't have reservations about adjusting the dish, I just have a lot of them climbing on my roof. :D

Will I be expected to pay for this even though the original install was done by E*, assuming it was they who didn't align it correctly in the first place?
If you can convince DishNetwork it was an issue with the original install maybe you won't have to pay. If it's been up for quite awhile you may be hard pressed for them to bite bullet on that one. I gotta tell you though that a superdish is the worst type of dish to put on a roof. I know there will be people who would argue that point but due to the way it is designed and the size of the reflector it is a big wind sail. Wind loading is a problem and in strong winds like where I am it will move especially over time and considering all other enviromental factors as well. Mine is on a pole which is cemented in the ground and braced against a brick wall and it still moves over time. I'm not talking about huge amounts of movement but small almost undetectable amounts that add up over time. I have never lost signal due to this because I would notice a slight signal loss and would correct the problem about every month and a half. Thank goodness I don't have to climb on a roof every time. I realize everybody's situation is different than mine which is at the extreme. My dish looks over a lake with no wind brake. My dish takes a pounding and often. Thanks to the Stormy Hot Sunny South.

ByrdWatcher said:
I checked my signal strenght this morning for the 105 sat. I have numbers in the high 80's. Never had numbers that high before. Would it be of any use to re-peak my dish?
This is strange my locals are on TP 8 and no signal change still in low 50 as allways.

trido

I finally go around to taking a picture. I checked each transponder and got anywhere from 90 to 101%.

Attachments

• 100_0492.JPG
    100_0492.JPG
    360.4 KB · Views: 221
Yea, thanks, I just got my citation in the mail from the Dishnetwork signal strength police. I paid the fine and as part of my community service I was told to never put a percent sign behind one of their signal strengths again. :D

I too was wondering why I kept seeing the 90% or 101% being written. Its not precent. I guess when folks see a range which goes from 0 - 100 (even though its 125 in this case) they think percentage.

Well, I bit the bullet and called E* to re-peak my dish. It's going to cost me $29.95 for a "switch replacement" and the addtl. 5.95 maint fee (which I can cancel at any time). I was getting some switch errors, although I think it's just an alignment issue. There's actually a long story with this. I had the original switch replaced within 5 days of my original install a year ago, but the tech also re-peaked the dish then, which I think actually caused my current problem, I went from 70's on original install to 50's until last week when the new sat went online.

If you know that it is in fact your switch then you can have them ship it to you for free. The $29.95 fee is for someone to come out to do the service call to find out that it is your switch (or something else) that is wrong with your system. The $5.99 per month fee is for the warranty.

Dish tech re-peaked the dish; I am now getting 62 on 105 (locals). I have to remember to cancel that 5.99 warranty.... :eek:

Pablo_New said:
So, what's the obligation here? I'm at low 30s, if this is "new" then I'm guessing my dish has to be re-peaked. Do I have to pay to have Dish come out and re-peak it? They did the original install.

I had the same problem. Dishnetwork said for a just $99.95 they would send a tech out to look at it. lol they never mentioned they put a new bird up. lol i just turned my sat a little to the south very little and it went from 30 to 66 signal strength the other satellites come in higher than they have been since they installed it last year.

Well---I'm finally happier :)

Finallygot time and repeaked my 105 and am now getting 70 up from 58.... thats on a 721 (lower level readings) and on my 501 I get 77.(don't know what the 501 was before... probably 10-12 points lower...

ds

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts