AMC 15 Satellite...

riski

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2004
...does anyone have any updated info in this bird? Still launching in August? I also saw where one of the posters mentioned something about moving the locals from the 105 to the 110 bird. I have my locals on 105 now in Michigan and rain fade has been the one issue that is aggravating for me. My dignal strength on #6 transponder is 52. It drops to upper 30's in what I would describe as moderate rain clouds thus losing the signal. AMC 15 is supposedly going to be twice the power as the old bird. What will that translate to as far as a signal strength increase? I love my 522 and the fact I can get my loclas on the SD but the rain fade is truly disconcerting. Thanks in advance for the input!!!

The locals on 105 will not move to 110 until at least Echostar 10 is launched (scheduled middle of next year). E10 (or EX) will have 45+ spot beams on it, so they will be able to move most of the large markets off of superdish to Dish500.

AMC 15 will go to 105 and will be about 2.5X more powerful than AMC-2. This should allow for much better reception of 105.

mike123abc said:
The locals on 105 will not move to 110 until at least Echostar 10 is launched (scheduled middle of next year). E10 (or EX) will have 45+ spot beams on it, so they will be able to move most of the large markets off of superdish to Dish500.

AMC 15 will go to 105 and will be about 2.5X more powerful than AMC-2. This should allow for much better reception of 105.

I agree that this may happen, however with the new SHVA likely to force a 1 dish solution for all markets, moving locals off of the 61.5&148 wings will likely take precedence over moving SD markets.

Chris Freeland said:
I agree that this may happen, however with the new SHVA likely to force a 1 dish solution for all markets, moving locals off of the 61.5&148 wings will likely take precedence over moving SD markets.
Remember, the (current) 1-dish solution rule only applies to locals. That is, all locals for a given market must be on the same dish in order to comply. That can certainly be a wing sat. Considering E* hsistory, there's really no sense in speculating, because they have no sense of planning. :D

SimpleSimon said:
Remember, the (current) 1-dish solution rule only applies to locals. That is, all locals for a given market must be on the same dish in order to comply. That can certainly be a wing sat. Considering E* hsistory, there's really no sense in speculating, because they have no sense of planning. :D

Thats true, however I suspect that E* will place most if not all of those wing locals on the new E10 spotbeam bird because it will make things much simpler, cheaper and no interruption of anyone's service, win win solution for both E* and their customers. After E* does this then maybe some of the larger SD markets will be moved to one of the 3 spotbeam satellites too with the smallest markets left on 105 and 121 and possibly National HD on 105, additional International channels on 121 with possibly some HD locals on the wings if the new SHVA will allow SD locals to be on a separate dish from the HD locals.

I think it would be silly in a way to move the markets from 105 to 110 seeing how they already put out all that money for the SuperDishes in those markets and also silly that they would be at people's houses when they are not really needed (although if it could be used for HD in the future then those subscribers would already have the SuperDish that is needed).

I believe that the wing satellite locals will be the ones to be placed on 110. They could use the wings to launch the smallest markets until more space is allocated for them closer to the core slots.

Dish must have gotten desperate to get the locals launched in many markets before DirecTv with their smaller dish so they had to use the SuperDish solution instead of the new 110 spotbeam satellite to get them launched as quickly as possible.

E10 will have 45+ spots. This is HUGE capacity. Dish does not have that many channels on the wing satellites. A quick count looks like 66 on 61.5 and 46 on 148, or about 112 locals. This is just 10 of the 45 spots worth of channels. That will leave them with about 35 spots, or more than the entire capacity of a single non spot satellite (32 transponders).

So, most of the superdish markets will be able to be moved. I am sure they are going to go largest markets to smallest markets in the priority of movement, this gives them the biggest bang for their buck. Of course there will probably be some spots that fill up and some markets will be left on SuperDish while smaller markets move because there is room on different spots.

Thanks for all the good input but I still want to have an idea how much appx the signal strength for 105 will increase without any tweaking on the SD.

riski said:
Thanks for all the good input but I still want to have an idea how much appx the signal strength for 105 will increase without any tweaking on the SD.

Well 121 pretty much comes in around 100 on the signal strength (out of 125), I would suspect 105 will be in the same range.

riski said:
Until the satellite is launched and put into service nobody can answer your question. We can't see the future the satellite may never reach orbit it has happened before. Rarely do they have such total problems but many of Echostars satellites have had defects show up after launch. :)

http://www.geamericom.com/satellites/amc-15.html

It is listed at 140 watts, old 105 is 60 watts per transponder. Now of course the footprints look a bit different.

But the signal meter number is not based on watts, but I believe on the error rate the reciever is currently experiencing. So, in essence Dish can change the error correction rate on the satellite and your signal bar would change.

So, the satellite power is going to go up about 2.33X this will increase the signal strength on your bar. But, Dish will also probably change the error correction rate from the current 1/2-2/3 to 5/6, this will lower the signal strength on your bar. But, the satellite power will be going up more than the decrease caused by less error correction, so the bar will move up. How much you will be able to find out in about 10 weeks if things go well.

If they wanted to really cram as many locals as they could onto 105 then maybe they would keep it at 1/2-2/3 error correction rate. What is the current error correction rate on 121? That is probably what we could expect on 105 as well.

The error rate on 121 is 5/6. Dish pretty much uses 5/6 on all its satellites (except for 105 right now which is running much more error correction to make up for the low power).

I thought the rumor was that the HD's were going from the 110 to the new 105 along with some new additional HD channels. And from what Charlie said about BravoHD looking interesting along with other channels set to come online later this year, hopefully this rumor pans out true. Come on NFL NetworkHD!!!!!!!!

dispatcher_21 said:
I thought the rumor was that the HD's were going from the 110 to the new 105 along with some new additional HD channels. And from what Charlie said about BravoHD looking interesting along with other channels set to come online later this year, hopefully this rumor pans out true. Come on NFL NetworkHD!!!!!!!!

I would not be surprised to see new HD channels added to 105, however I doubt that the current ones on 110 will be moved anytime soon, this way only those who want the new HD channels will need to upgrade to a SD.

Well HD won't move until 105 launches next month and the DPP44 switch is ready. Adding HD before then would be hard to do, but it could be done. Dallas and Denver could be moved to spot beams (which they seem to have been preparing to do, but I think that is more of an E10 strategy), or they could go to more compression on HD and do 3 per transponder. I think they are just going to hold out, and not do any of these. They know that DIRECTV is still tied up for a while, so, no need to rush.

I do not think it would be wise to have local markets on one of the FSS slots while having HD on the other FSS slot (HD on 105 and locals on 121) because those that would have the locals on 121 would require a second SuperDish. One way they could make this work is to put all the locals from one SuperDish slot where HD is not going to be at (121) to 110 and those customers could always have an upgrade kit put on their dish to recieve HD from 105 while those with the 105 SuperDish could get their locals and HD.

If they have enough spotbeams on 110 they would probably put most of LIL there but I think it makes more sense to put all of 121 to 110 first because it seems like they are the ones that would get affected the most if HD goes to 105. The extra space on 121 could be used for internationals although they would have the same issue as well it would probably be a bit less likely than those with locals on 121 wanting HD on 105. Seems like one big mess to me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts