AMC Channel Gone - Welcome Pack

coolguy982

Original poster
Sep 22, 2009
Kansas
I switched my Dish programming package to the Welcome Pack on 1/22/13. I had AMC available from that point on even though I had heard that it had been removed from this package. I had the channel for quite some time and was able to watch the entire Walking Dead season. However, tonight I went to watch Breaking Bad and noticed the channel is gone. I chatted with a Dish rep but all they said was that I would have to upgrade my package to get it back. Could this have been some sort of 6 month free trial or grace period? Any ideas if there's any way to get it back without changing packages, or am I out of luck?

Last edited:
To watch just Breaking bad you could pay for it online. But in general to get AMC best I can tell you would need Top120.

I switched my Dish programming package to the Welcome Pack on 1/22/13. I had AMC available from that point on even though I had heard that it had been removed from this package. I had the channel for quite some time and was able to watch the entire Walking Dead season. However, tonight I went to watch Breaking Bad and noticed the channel is gone. I chatted with a Dish rep but all they said was that I would have to upgrade my package to get it back. Could this have been some sort of 6 month free trial or grace period? Any ideas if there's any way to get it back without changing packages, or am I out of luck?

You're out of luck.

It's rather sad that The Welcome Pack had a 33% price increase (highest increase among Dish packages), yet lost channels while other packages gained them.

Yes, so much more expensive than other's lowest possible packages and getting locals in HD.

Yes, so much more expensive than other's lowest possible packages and getting locals in HD.

But that isn't the point. And if you want to get technical about it, Comcast's Blast Plus is the best basic package. Your getting 50/10 internet, 45 channels (including locals), HBO and Streampix for $5 ($15 for HD) more than plain old Blast internet.

When Dish got AMC back it was on Free Preview for several months, it was removed from Welcome pack and Smart pack some time ago but it was not removed from some accounts by error. There is a thread on it here somewhere but I could not find it this morning.

AMC was pulled without notice. They argued that AMC wasn't removed from Free Preview for months due to an error??? Give me a break. DISH doesn't give away programming by mistake. When I questioned the CSR months ago- they argued that AMC was never part of the Welcome Pack. They were either misinformed or lying to me. It was part of the package for years. After 15 years with DISH, this AMC fiasco is getting really old.

Give me a break. DISH doesn't give away programming by mistake.

That is just not correct. Just myself as a subscriber myself almost since their begining had a lingering RSN from the sports pack long after I cancelled, had an international channel after dropping the package it was in, as well as a Dallas Distant for almost five months after I cancelled that particular Distant package. There's more but you get the point, it does happen.
I'm not however saying anything the phone CSR's tell you is correct.

But that isn't the point. And if you want to get technical about it, Comcast's Blast Plus is the best basic package. Your getting 50/10 internet, 45 channels (including locals), HBO and Streampix for $5 ($15 for HD) more than plain old Blast internet.

First, they are not nationwide and may have a deal in certain areas, that in no way compares to nationally where anyone can get it. Second,
you did not provide the actual cost for that? Can you provide a link with the cost because my Father is telling me he pays much more than $19 for Blast plus, and locals are in SD unless you pay more. There was a promotional period for four months, then a higher price for a few months then the regular price after that. Are you comparing a promotional price to the Dish everyday price?

AMC was in the Welcome pack for a few years and it no longer is. This happens with all packages and with all providers. This should not come as a surprise. Frustrating yes, surprising no.

I watched The Walking Dead on my iPad and other than having to pay for them it was awesome. I could watch and use my headphones while my wife or son watched TV. I'd end up watching 4 episodes in a row and then realize it was 11pm and I needed to get to sleep. Very hard to stop when the shows are right at your fingertips.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)