SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
AMD smells a comeback with ATI All-in-Wonder HD

by Darren Murph, posted Jun 26th 2008 at 12:01AM
6-26-08-all_in_wonder_hd_2.jpg

And you thought Microsoft bringing back the SideWinder was gnarly. Announced today, AMD is resurrecting the long-standing AIW line with its first-ever high-definition variant: the $199 ATI All-in-Wonder HD. The PCI Express 2.0 card attempts to handle both PC gaming and HDTV duties by boasting specs like DirectX 10.1 support, a 725MHz engine clock, 600MHz memory clock and MPEG2 / VC-1 / H.264 video decoder acceleration. You'll also find Vista and AMD LIVE! certification badges to go along with the dual-link DVI port, HDMI jack (which supports 5.1 Dolby Digital transmission) and optional component video connectivity. As expected, users can capture live programs (as well as pause / rewind) in SD or HD over-the-air, and there's even support for ClearQAM. For those looking to take their clips elsewhere, the bundled Avivo software converts it for viewing on some of today's most popular handhelds (yes, including the iPod). Look for models from Diamond Multimedia and VisionTek to hit retailers in North America late next month. Full release after the jump.

Link: AMD smells a comeback with ATI All-in-Wonder HD - Engadget HD

This is a pretty good video card.

It's not their first HD variant. I have 2 ATI HD cards- "ATI HDTV Wonder" cards. One at work, one at home. Came in a triangular box. Remember them? It was my first intro to DTV and HD. At first, just on my computer monitor; later on a regular TV screen. It uses TVGOS analog for the guide. I suspect it won't be able to be updated to use digital TVGOS, so soon it will display the channel, but no guide and maybe no unattended recording.

On Edit: Now I realize the current cards are in addition to another video card, the new one is a true AIW- all on one card.

Last edited:
I had Nvidia for the last 5+ years, prior to that I had ATI which I absolutely loved....
I am planning to build a new system and get back to play Battlefield 2.

I currently use the ATI HD 3870 w/1GB of dedicated RAM. I got it for $169.99 and it rocks the previous nVidia I had (also a great card) and at that price point I think it wins out.

Current OLD PC (still running) with this added GPU above.

AMD Altlon 64 FX57 939
3GB RAM
ATI HD 3870 1GB RAM
1 - 500GB SATA 3.0gbps HDD
1 - 1TB SATA 3.0gbps HDD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)