What to do with all this old computer stuff

rvvaquero

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 3, 2012
SE Texas
Throughout the 90's I bought, built, and sold computers and associated equipment, new and used. I got rid of most of it over the years, but still have an annoying amount left.

I know the old motherboards and video cards and such have precious metals in them. I have dozens of old serial, parallel, and centronics cable, some are still in the unopened packaging. Does any of this old stuff have value? Is there a decent way of getting rid of it?

Locally, the only place which will recycle such stuff is Best Buy, and they charge $200 to do so. I'm as environmentally conscious as the average person, but I'm not paying $200 to get rid of old crap I can just put in the trash.

Any ideas? Anyone need any old cables?

Locally, the only place which will recycle such stuff is Best Buy, and they charge $200 to do so...
That's kinda shocking. Around here, our county holds a Cyber Sunday where we can drop off as much computer junk as we want for free. Nowadays, they may have gone to every day of the week for all I know.

Aha. Yes, it's 6 days/week: Electronics | Public Works and Environmental Services Best Buy stores in VA are also supposed to accept this stuff for free. It's the law.

You are in Southeast Texas. I imagine your county or town/city has a recycle program. Where I live, my county has a yearly event in October to recycle old stuff including electronics. Very handy.
Check this web site regarding Texas recycle program. Hopefully, it will help you.

Reactions: rvvaquero
Throughout the 90's I bought, built, and sold computers and associated equipment, new and used. I got rid of most of it over the years, but still have an annoying amount left.

I know the old motherboards and video cards and such have precious metals in them. I have dozens of old serial, parallel, and centronics cable, some are still in the unopened packaging. Does any of this old stuff have value? Is there a decent way of getting rid of it?

Locally, the only place which will recycle such stuff is Best Buy, and they charge $200 to do so. I'm as environmentally conscious as the average person, but I'm not paying $200 to get rid of old crap I can just put in the trash.

Any ideas? Anyone need any old cables?
Do what we do here: Put it out on the curb with a "$200, computer parts!" price on it.

It'll be stolen pretty quick...