American HD In London

djjsin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 8, 2004
Ok. lets see if you guys happen to know this.

I have a small American Samsung HDTV, its a CRT. Its got component and HDMI inputs. I have recently moved to london for a couple years, and shipped everything along with me. Currently, I have it working over here due to Power converters I purchased, and use it for things like my American Xbox 360, and my upconverting DVD player. I have not figured out a way to get UK television on it. Thats what i'm looking to do.

From what I hear, HD in the UK runs at 720p 50Hz/1080i 50Hz, while American HD runs at 720p 60Hz/1080i 60Hz, which makes the system's not compatible.

Ok, so onto the DVD Player. This Upcoverting DVD player i have is a Momitsu 880N. Its not a standard american system, as it upconverts through component as well as DVI, and its region Free. I think its some special chinese model. It has a plethora of output signals that it will do. One day i was playing around with it and i found something pretty startling. If i switch the output to Component 1080i 60 Hz, i get a signal, just fine, as I should. I then change it to Component 1080i 50 Hz, and i get no signal, as i expected. But when its plugged in with the DVI output to a HDMI input on the TV, the saem doesnt happen. I had it on DVI 1080i 60 Hz, and it worked fine, but i was suprised that when I changed it to DVI 1080i 50HZ, i still had a picture on the screen. I have checked and double checked and triple checked, and the system is indeed sending out a 1080i 50 hz singal through the DVI. So then this leads me to start thinking. If the TV accepts a 1080i 50hz signal through HDMI from my DVD player, shouldnt it be able to accept a 1080i 50hz signal from a UK HD Cable box, as long as its plugged in through HDMI? Which then would allow me to use it to watch UK television. Let me know what your guys's thoughts on this are.

I'm guessing you'll need a UK-compatible set-top tuner as the "A" in ATSC stands for American and if you have one of those (or if ATSC is built in the TV) it won't get anything. Assuming you can find such a tuner that has outputs compatible with your TV's inputs you should be fine.

"If the TV accepts a 1080i 50hz signal through HDMI from my DVD player, shouldnt it be able to accept a 1080i 50hz signal from a UK HD Cable box, as long as its plugged in through HDMI? Which then would allow me to use it to watch UK television"

I'm not planning on recieving OTA through ATSC (since europe uses DVB), but recieving channels through my cable systems set top box, since its an HD DVR, that has HDMI outputs. I guess what i'm asking is if my TV accepts a 1080i 50hz signal from my DVD player on HDMI, is it safe to assume it will accept a 1080i 50hz signal from a UK cable set top box through HDMI, or is there something else i'm not thinking about.

oh and FYI, ATSC stands for Advanced Television Systems Committee, not american. hehe

Last edited:
oops, my bad, I assumed "A" meant "American" like the "N" in NTSC means "National"

If they are both HDMI and both at the same resolution and framerate I don't see why not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)