AMERICAN SNIPER Trailer #1 (2014) Bradley Cooper, Clint Eastwood Movie HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Ben Affleck, Others Stumping For Bradley Cooper’s ‘American Sniper’ Performance https://tv.yahoo.com/news/ben-affleck-others-stumping-bradley-003322087.html
EXCLUSIVE: After all the sinister implications of the Sony hacking scandal, a nice story has emerged among the sharp elbows on the Oscar circuit that is enough to make one feel good about actors who simply love the craft.Even though he was suffering from the flu, Ben Affleck took the time to speak at an event meant to celebrate American Sniper and Bradley Cooper’s performance as Navy SEAL Chris Kyle. During a screening of his film Inherent Vice, Josh Brolin could be heard talking about how important Cooper’s performance was. Now, both of them have movies in the Oscar hunt–Affleck having starred in Gone Girl. And yet they were standing up for the strong performance turned in by Cooper, who is at a distinct disadvantage because he is starring on Broadway in The Elephant Man, and got snubbed in both the Golden Globes and SAG nominations to the shock of many.Word is that Leonardo DiCaprio might also do something. This is noteworthy because stars never do anything against their self interest to help the competition when awards are on the line. Why the change? As Affleck said the other night, and I’m paraphrasing, right now we need to say something strong and meaningful about what our industry is about and what our country is about, and Cooper’s performance does that. Cooper’s performance, he said, speaks well for who are are at our best.

I first learned about Chris Kyle a few years ago when he made an appearance on the O'Reilly Factor to discuss his book, "American Sniper: The Most Lethal Sniper in U.S History". I really enjoyed the brief conversation and decided to purchase the book.

I downloaded the book via my iPad (The enhanced version) which had small video's and interviews with Chris about many things and how he went about his craft as a sniper. Knowing that for the most part, people who become SEAL's are fairly egocentric and pretty high on themselves, I wasn't sure what kind of man Chris really was and how much of the book would be "embellished". However, I really enjoyed the book and to me Chris came away as a quite humble man who loved his country very much and was indeed a man of faith. That he loved his country was the over riding factor for his service and his loyalty to the SEAL's. I really enjoyed the book.

Saw him on the NBC's TV show "Star's Earn Stripes". I really had fun watching that show and again, Chris came across as a very humble man who loved his country, who had a strong competitive streak, but wasn't full of himself. I understand how people can fool you but to me, even though I had never met the guy, I liked him. So, when he was murdered back in 2013 by a Marine he was trying to help, I felt a very deep sadness.

So, this leads me to the movie I watched last night. I read the book about two years ago so I will admit upfront I don't remember every detail. So, please bare with me.

The first 20 minutes of the movie seemed disjointed and it is a quick over view of him as a kid, a young man, with a very strong, and I would assume, lifelong lasting message of his father on a life lesson of those who don't allow the weakest to be bullied. I would assume Clint Eastwood (Director) drove this point home to explain why Chris believed the way he believed. Anyway, after another terror event killed American's citizens, Chris decides to join the military. (From what I remember of the book, the reason Chris decided to join the military was that his rodeo career was over). The next several minutes shows him going through BUD's Training and then meeting his future wife Taya. After this, it gets into Chris's tours overseas and some brief time back in the States.

The movie is violent and the language is quite military like if you know what I mean. Some of the humor will bother some people but they need to understand that when people are in high stress jobs, the humor is pretty dark to say the least. Most of the events that are shown go along with the book Chris wrote but to my memory, not in order that the book lays out. But again, that isn't a big deal to me. In other words, the movie seems to stay pretty true to the book and from what I understand many interviews were done with people who knew Chris, were there with Chris, and his wife Taya, Chris was credited with over 160 official kills as a sniper, hence the title of his book. The one people talk about frequently was the kill that was from a mile plus away. That was a confirmed kill. So, the movie is about 2 hours plus long, pretty true to the book, and since I already knew the ending of the life of Chris Kyle, I was worried how that would be portrayed. I think Eastwood does a wonderful job with the ending and I will leave it at that.

This is not a political movie in any sense and does not mention the POTUS or anything along those line. It isn't a movie that attempts to make a moral decision about whether that war or any war is right. It is simply a presentation into the life of Chris Kyle.

Two things I hope people will take away from this movie. First; There are people who love their country and serve just for that reason. What they do, even as a person of faith, (Chris was) might seem like a contradiction but they do have the conviction they are doing what is right. Toward the end of the movie a line that Chris did utter in that regard is prominently stated.

Second, and maybe most important is; the impact of war and what a "soldier" does in that war will not only have upon him as a man but on his family. We often forget about the HELL a spouse goes through during the deployment of their spouse and the difficulty in life when that person comes home. You basically find that person is now a stranger and you have to learn each other all over again. That is a reality in war. The one scene where she is taking to Chris on the phone and a firefight breaks out should give everyone a glimpse into the what a spouse goes through. (That scene was in the book)

Overall it is a good movie that is very intense, with lots of violence, and lots of bad language. Parents really need to think if they want their kids to see this movie because of those issues. I took my son, who is 17, and I think that is fine. I would not recommend that a kid younger than 14 see this movie unless you see the movie first. If you saw Act of Valor you will have a sense of whether you should take your kid or not. For young adults, 14-17, I think it is Okay for most but to me the life lessons are a great teaching tool for kids that age. Just be prepared to have a conversation afterwards. Overall, I recommend the movie and just understand it isn't a discussion morality but a simple study what impact war will have on a person and their spouse.

I must say SOME of the SEALs I knew were NOT egotists. I attended a funeral for one with many of them crying.

Last edited:
Reactions: whitewolf8214
I also know of Chris's story, and the movie, to me, was epic. I actually watched it twice in a 24-hr period simply because it's that good.

The first time I watched it I was home alone, and once I got into it, it's one of those that you can't just up and leave..
And since I was alone, and unsure of the ending, when I watched the last few minutes...I had tears rolling too. Bradley Cooper spoke to Chris once and he said he vowed to make the movie as close to accurate as possible ..

Taya was on a TV interview a few days ago discussing the opening of the movie nationwide. She even broke down while watching the short clips they played during the interview and asked for a tissue. So, seeing that the family is very touched by the movie tells me it's pretty closely depicting actuality, and not the Hellywood-spin they usually put into war movies. Actually, I wouldn't call this a war movie either. It tells a story of this hero's life, and what he faced, both stateside and abroad. Being a parent drives it home even more to see someone struggle with that....
I recommend it it as well, but don't watch it thinking "happily ever after".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts