An Early Look at NBA TV Rights: Will Anybody Challenge ESPN?

TMC1982

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2008
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/02/an-early-look-at-nba-tv-rights-will-anybody-challenge-espn/

After a busy few years of sports TV rights negotiations, only one major league is still available — the NBA.

The current NBA television deals with ESPN and Turner Sports do not expire until after the 2015-16 season, but the league looms large as the highest-profile property left for bid. Over the past two years, television rights to nearly everything else — the NFL, Olympics, World Cup, Major League Baseball, NHL, NCAA Tournament and college football playoff — have been locked up through the twenties.

Of the remaining properties, which include the second half of the NASCAR season and the Big East/Catholic 7, only the NBA has the ability to fundamentally change the sports TV landscape.

That was not the case in the mid-2000s, the last time NBA TV rights became available. The league was floundering in television ratings and public perception, and there was little demand among the networks to set aside a few hundred million for TV rights. Incumbents ESPN and Turner Sports, essentially running unopposed, were able to hold onto the rights an additional eight years.

Today, the NBA is in the midst of a five-year resurgence. Television ratings have broken records on cable in both the regular season and playoffs. On broadcast, where the league failed for years on ABC, ratings have soared back to NBC levels. The last three NBA Finals have averaged a double-digit rating, and four out of the last five NBA Finals have outdrawn the World Series in the same year.

The league’s improved fortunes are not the biggest change from the mid-2000s. Today, FOX and NBC — which were not even in the conversation when NBA rights were last up for bid — are likely to express perhaps serious interest in acquiring rights. With FOX set to launch two 24-hour sports networks this summer and NBC in desperate need of content for NBC Sports Network, the NBA’s hundreds of hours of game inventory are tantalizing.

As predicted by Sports Business Journal‘s John Ourand last year, the NBA could also look toward an unconventional outlet such as Google’s YouTube for a game package. That may sound outlandish, but the NBA has never shied away from taking risks — shifting almost entirely to cable in 2002 was proof of that — and the league already has a deal with YouTube through its Developmental League.

More than three years before the next NBA TV deal goes into effect, here is an early look at the contenders: Fox Sports, NBC, ESPN, Turner, CBS, and Google.

I'd personally like to see the NBA back on NBC because they seemed to have had the best coverage. TNT does a good job as well and I think CBS would be OK. ESPN's coverage just stinks but I'm sure they'll spend another $2 Billion and the league just won't be able to say no.

I wonder if ESPN just gets on an ego trip sometimes. I mean you wonder if they'll shell out big money to keep the NBA just so nobody else will get it. I know NBA is big for ESPN but its not like ESPN has to search for programming. They have MLB, Monday Night Football, The BCS, College Football, College Basketball, The NIT, Championship Week, Capital One Bowl Week, Wimbledon. And just off the top of my head.

Part of the problem is ESPN has the right to match any offers. They didn't need Big East sports but ESPN just waited to see what NBC offered and then matched it to keep Big East sports away from a competitor.

I feel like TNT will keep their part and wouldn't mind seeing CBS Sports Network take a shot at it (and I'm sure FOX will). Sadly, though, I figure ESPN will win. :(

I wonder if ESPN just gets on an ego trip sometimes. I mean you wonder if they'll shell out big money to keep the NBA just so nobody else will get it. I know NBA is big for ESPN but its not like ESPN has to search for programming. They have MLB, Monday Night Football, The BCS, College Football, College Basketball, The NIT, Championship Week, Capital One Bowl Week, Wimbledon. And just off the top of my head.

Well, any money they throw around they always managed to get back (and then some) by raising their rates to subscribers. Unlike the broadcast networks, they do not have to rely mainly on ad revenue anymore. Eventually (hopefully) they get so outrageous in their rates that they'll be forced to become a-la-carte.

Well, any money they throw around they always managed to get back (and then some) by raising their rates to subscribers. .
very true

Unlike the broadcast networks, they do not have to rely mainly on ad revenue anymore.
thus MNF To ESPN

Eventually (hopefully) they get so outrageous in their rates that they'll be forced to become a-la-carte.
could see this happening a sports pack of sorts. would benefit non sports watcher and be much more $ for sports fans 10 years down the road.

I would think that the rates would go down eventually. Can't really get much higher, could they? I wonder if NBC comes in and gets the NBA back? People have raved about the coverage.

5 QUESTIONS FOR THE RUMORED NBA TELEVISION RIGHTS TALKS

Does Turner or ESPN/ABC Have A Chance Of Not Retaining A Package?

Will The NBA Create A Third Television Package For FS1 And NBCSN To Fight To The Death For?

Will The NBA Continue To Be On Broadcast TV?

When Will These Deals Actually Get Done?

What Deal Terms Could Change?

[h=1]HANDICAPPING THE NEW NBA TELEVISION RIGHTS DEALS[/h]
ODDS: 5-2. Turner is a very strong candidate to renew.

ODDS: 3-1. ESPN loves its NBA and an outside party will have to really pony up to lure the NBA away from the Bristol Bill Simmonses.

ODDS: 1,000-1. CBS is happy with its lineup and doesn't want to bid on expensive sports properties except for the NFL and NCAA Tournament.

ODDS: 8-1. If either ESPN or Turner fall, Fox is a huge favorite to pick up the NBA.

ODDS: 20-1. The NHL on NBC doesn't allow for much room for the NBA.

ODDS: 5,000 to 1. No shot right now, but it will be in the hunt in the future.

Last edited:
Unfortunately ESPN will bid what they want, they will bid it so that any competitors that try will most likely lose money.

Example the US Open tennis coverage is leaving CBS in 2015. ESPN recently bid a 50% increase over CBS to get all the coverage instead of sharing the coverage.

A quick review of all the deals that have been made in the last few years from all the leagues and networks from here: http://adage.com/article/media/high-sports-prices-toll-espn/241699/
At least the article makes it clear that Fox will bid on the upcoming NBA rights, it'll be interesting to see if their bid will be high enough.

Attachments

• 0527p10sportspriceschart.jpg
    0527p10sportspriceschart.jpg
    242 KB · Views: 138
I would think that NBC would want the NBA back. I think they need programming for NBC and NBCSN. Lets face it, considering what's happening at NBC, what do they have to lose?

I cant really see FOX as a major player although it seems like FOX is really trying to be aggressive and challenge ESPN.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)