An "unbiased" Hopper reveiw

wetz73

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Eureka, IL
After hours of reading about the Hopper on this site as well as others, I decided to upgrade from the 722 to the Hopper. I was more interested in the addition of HD to a second TV at a cheaper price than adding a second receiver, but the third tuner and PTAT features were going to be bonuses (I regularly had to use the OTA antenna to record a 3rd network program, and having all 3 and now 4 on one tuner sounded great). My wife, who is admittedly technophobic, hated the idea of having to "learn" a different system and wasn't in the least-bit thrilled that I made this upgrade decision. The install happened on Thursday, May 3 and went off without a hitch. Right away I found it very user friendly and had my recordings set in no time because of PTAT. My wife, on the other hand, had steam coming out of her ears because the menus were different even though the keystrokes are essentially what she is used to. So last night she was watching her stuff on the second TV while I was watching the NASCAR race. She comes out to me and says, "You know, I hate to say this, but I absolutely LOVE this Hopper thing!" She had just experienced her first recording with Auto-Hop and instantly fell in love with it, although now she's mad that it doesn't do it for non-network and non-prime-time recordings, but she'll live with it. It took 8 days to take someone who was 100% against the idea to completely flip her. IMO, that's a good product! Thank you, Dish!

Separating out what people hoped for, or thought the Hopper would have, and concentrating on how it performs with what it actually is, it sure seems it is becoming what Dish hoped for. Very popular, and maybe enough to have subscribers switch to Dish and stay with Dish longer than the contract time. Add to that it most certainly is the recevier of the future, I can see many advancements coming such as more groupings available for recording at the same time.
Do better with integration, get the OTA USB out, keep adding features like the auto hop just introduced and it clearly will be the best receiver there is.