An Update on Android Market Security

dfergie

Proud Staff Member
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
On Tuesday evening, the Android team was made aware of a number of malicious applications published to Android Market. Within minutes of becoming aware, we identified and removed the malicious applications. The applications took advantage of known vulnerabilities which don’t affect Android versions 2.2.2 or higher.
Source & More: googlemobile.blogspot

Diogen Warning- Please do not read this post. It contains content you have requested not to see because it causes you such stress and anger.

Don- news of this broke Wall Street today and the Google stock is taking a nose dive. Lowest it's been in months. Wish I had some cash to buy in now but you know where my mad money went. :) Anyway, analysts are saying that Google execs are considering rethinking their open app strategy and may propose a new vetting for authorized apps like is done at Apple. The issue with many non-tech users is that what they are doing now is retroactive aid. Plus for developers and tech users is is showing a weakness as a result of freedom of open platform with only Google having free access to controlling your phone without your say. Google has put themselves in a damned if you do and damned if you don't position. This is what's scaring the investors and causing Google stock to tumble worse than other competitors today. However, since the original news broke the stock began to fall, Fridays fall of $10 and today's fall of $13 on top. None of Google's remedy announcements have resolved this.

From a purely technical risk angle, Google's Android is not what I would consider a game changer in their financial picture or cash flow directly. It's the image of the company that is changing with this kind of exposure. Indirectly, it reduces their image of being so perfect. If they feel they need to clamp down on the openness with those who develop for Android and change to adopt a tighter control approaching the way Apple does things it will be a sad day for everyone. However, if what they do in open architecture puts them at huge risk for the average consumer, their stuff won't sell and this will hurt the profit centers of the company. This is a mess, indeed, and not just from a security risk angle but more as to what to do to keep Google success story going.

its a simple solution for google. Have a "certified" app logo. So you can get apps google has "certified" or not. Sort of like "SSL" certs for websites but for apps. Maybe a warning before downloading an app not certified by google, and an option of course to permanently ignore said warning.

They get to remain completely open by allowing all apps, but at the same time offering protection.

...news of this broke Wall Street today and the Google stock is taking a nose dive.
Nose dive?
A company stock drops 1.49% when the tech drop 1.4% and your favorite defensive stock - Apple - 1.3%?

Expert? Stress and anger? Laughing my ass off... literally...

Now I finally understand in what sh!tty state the US education system is if this is "expertise" of a business degree owner...

It would be the same as me claiming to have a medical degree and recommending you switching places with your dad...

Diogen.

if the US education system is so bad why then do all of the really smart foreigners want to come to our Universities to get an education?
Short answer: because of the employment opportunities.

Long answer (from some 5+ years ago)
The US has the the largest number of Nobel Prize winners.
Half of them never studied in the US (brain-drain; bought smarts).
More than 50% of the remaining half got graduate degrees not in the US.

I think those immigrants are the reason the US isn't battling a banana republic for the last place in PISA...
I haven't taught at college level since 1976...
You taught? God, have mercy on these students...

Here is another "teacher" of your caliber
... I have a broad foundation for what I'm saying, instead of a narrow foundation....Humanity goes beyond numbers.

Diogen.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)