Changing the Android Version

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

gittist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 30, 2014
Pennsylvania
Is it possible to put a different version of Android OS on an Android TV box? If so where do I get a legal copy of the Android OS? Is there an idiots guide of how to do it or am I overthinking it?

Why do I want to do that? Android 10 won't play some of the applications that I have on an older box running Android 7 ( like NewsOn).

Thanks

Is it possible to put a different version of Android OS on an Android TV box? If so where do I get a legal copy of the Android OS? Is there an idiots guide of how to do it or am I overthinking it?

Why do I want to do that? Android 10 won't play some of the applications that I have on an older box running Android 7 ( like NewsOn).

Thanks
Only IF the manufacturer provides and upgraded firmware. You likely can't load a generic android OS on those.

Loading a firmware NOT specifically written for THAT device, will likely brick it. I don't advise it, UNLESS you are willing to take that chance. Once it's bricked, it may not be possible to UNbrick it.
Not true...it can be done...just make sure the hardware in the device can handle the android version..its a tv box not a $1000 phone..

Android 10 won't play some of the applications that I have on an older box running Android 7 ( like NewsOn).
Downgrading Android OS three versions will likely cause issues with hardware support.

The NewsOn app appears to be available for my Android 11 phone so I'm betting the issue is specifically with your streaming box and not the Android version.

There are also several alternatives to NewsOn.