Are you planning to upgrade to the iPhone 15

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I've been following the rumors and now we have a few new features being leaked by suppliers. I have a an 11 Pro Max and the battery life is pretty poor now requiring recharge each evening. I use the iphone more and more for photos and video so the new telephoto lens and faster processor is reason to upgrade this Fall.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wejCxCAj24U

I’m on the annual upgrade plan so yes I will order when announced. Skipped the new watch last year so I am due for a new one as well.

Video was not terribly convincing to me.

I’m on the fence. Inclined to pop in a new battery and wait for 16. Or 17. Or 18….

Didn't watch the video but rumors are for incremental improvements as always, nothing revolutionary. Primary thing for me will be changing the port from Lightning to USB-C. That will simplify my charging and cable needs.

Reactions: Foxbat
Well, I prefer Lightning over USB C by a 52 to 48 margin. NBD. I’ll need both cables, as well as the 30 pin (iPad 3 that rarely gets used).

I’ve found only a marginally useful comparison between the XS Max and the 15. And what the next iWatch Apple Watch brings, especially in the medical world.

Well, I prefer Lightning over USB C by a 52 to 48 margin.
Lightning is dead. Thunderbolt has been coming for years and phooey on those that didn't see it.

The nasty thing about the way that Apple has approached the USB-C form factor is that it is rumored not to be entirely compatible with smart USB chargers in terms of the communications protocols it uses and if so, that's something to be vigorously avoided.

Rumor has it that the Apple connection will require Apple cabling to get the fastest charging and highest transfer rates.

Not sure Europe will allow that.
I don't think so either so I'm skeptical.

The rumor, and it is only that but the haters will grab onto anything, is full charging bandwidth would require an MFI certified cable. I've seen no definition of what full or partial might mean.

I have an iPad and a iPad mini both with USB-C and have had no issues.

Reactions: Foxbat and navychop
I have an search iPad and a search iPad mini both with USB-C and have had no issues.
These models lack the MFi ID capability required to differentiate MFi-certified devices. The USB C ports on these models are limited to 480Mbps which is a far cry from Lightning's speeds in the tens of Gbps.

From MacRumors:
MacRumors citing Ming-Chi Kuo said:
The report is particularly believable since this would effectively mirror the split between the entry-level ‌iPad‌ and the ‌iPad Pro‌. While both ‌iPad‌ models feature a USB-C port, the 10th-generation ‌iPad‌ is limited to USB 2.0 speeds of up to 480 Mbps, while the ‌iPad Pro‌ offers fully-fledged Thunderbolt speeds of up to 40 Gbps.
If this is true, there's likely to be some whinging regarding the hobbling of the lesser iPhone 15 transfer speeds (83x slower than Pro and Pro Max).

9to5 Mac offered similar speculation about this last November citing a tweet from Ming-Chi Kuo:

Call it hate if you want but do you really believe that Apple will not take advantage of any opportunity that they've engineered a system to support?

As iphone becomes more and more popular use of HD video speed is more important. The only other reason I see any use for high speed transfer is for making backups and restores which is not a frequent need.

I just did a backup of my wife's iMAC to my NAS and it took 15 hours for 317Gb. Based on the speed I am getting on my new win 11 Dell to an M.2 stick connected to USB 3.2 port 120GB took 6 minutes to partition and backup all files as a clone. Looking forward to seeing how much faster the Thunderbolt Ports on the iMAC is than the ethernet NAS.

According to the specs on the iMAC the Thunderbolt ports (2) are 40GPS. I don't believe the USB 3.2 of the m.2 USB adapter can match that but it sure will be much faster than doing "Apple Time Machine" backups to the NAS.

I don't use icloud backups for anything other than ipad and iphones as it is just the 200Gb of storage, so the iMAC and my other computers use local storage for backups.

Last edited:
The only other reason I see any use for high speed transfer is for making backups and restores which is not a frequent need.
I see it as being less about what it typically needed and more about Apple disabling capabilities (both transfer speeds and charging rates) of the technology that they have to go out of their way to do. Nobody is holding a gun to their head saying that USB C shall only run at USB 2.0 speeds and low-watt charging but that's the path they've taken. USB C connections should avail the user of USB C's most attractive capabilities.

If you don't buy this argument, you haven't been paying attention to the ongoing battery-related speed-throttling lawsuit.

I am on the fence. I have a 13 Pro Max. Battery life is ok. Camera is fine for what I do.

I would like USB C over lightning as I am replacing lightning cables all the time in my house and car.

I do have WIFI 6E at home now so happy the 15 will support that but think it stinks I will need to buy another phone in a year if I want Wifi 7.

We are at a point now of what else can they add to this thing?

Clearly, Apple has held some stuff back (like high-speed USB C transfers and charging). Whether they add it in the future probably depends on any backlash from the EU (just as USB C itself was). I'm not buying the "be careful what you ask for" argument.

If your current phone is sufficient, I don't see much point.

I see it as being less about what it typically needed and more about Apple disabling capabilities (both transfer speeds and charging rates) of the technology that they have to go out of their way to do. Nobody is holding a gun to their head saying that USB C shall only run at USB 2.0 speeds and low-watt charging but that's the path they've taken. USB C connections should avail the user of USB C's most attractive capabilities.

If you don't buy this argument, you haven't been paying attention to the ongoing battery-related speed-throttling lawsuit.
When it comes to charging speed there is more to the story than faster and faster without consequences. Those of us with Tesla EV's ( not all EV's) understand. If I try to charge my iphone 11 Pro Max at the highest rate of charge using a 100w power supply the charge is amazingly fast with the Apple Lightning from the USB C. However the phone is extremely hot and that can't be a good thing for the battery life. Apple did make a way to manage that speed to keep the battery heating in check but you can shut that off and on in the menus if you need that quick charge boost. I don't know that all iphones have this capability but mine does. The other day I was getting ready to go out and noticed I had 5% SoC so I just plugged into my larger power cube with USB C and in a couple minutes had 75% SoC. The phone was a bit warm.

I don't think there is a problem with transfer like with charging with higher speeds. I have never heard that Apple is crippling their data transfer rate on the Thunderbolt 3 ports. What purpose would that serve? Throttling the battery charge speed is necessary to prevent battery from self destructing.

I am on the fence. I have a 13 Pro Max. Battery life is ok. Camera is fine for what I do.

I would like USB C over lightning as I am replacing lightning cables all the time in my house and car.

I do have WIFI 6E at home now so happy the 15 will support that but think it stinks I will need to buy another phone in a year if I want Wifi 7.

I'm in the same with my 11 Pro Max but I really would like to have that new camera zoom capability. iCloud for photos and backup is working so well, I will stick to 256GB version of the 15. My 11 is 512GB and I discovered I never went past 200GB. Otherwise it works well but the battery is at 80% now in the health.

I also want a new Apple Watch since it has more life and faster processor. But I really would like the Ultra 2 if it wasn't so darn big. Plus when they finally add a camera for Facetime, I will trade up regardless of how long I have my current one.

I want an Ultra 2 smaller size with camera. My current AW is a series 6 SS.

When it comes to charging speed there is more to the story than faster and faster without consequences.
It comes down to choice. Sometimes you feel the need to firewall the speed to avoid having to "lay over" for several hours. Apple has taken that option away with its USB C implementation. Tesla gives you the choice of charging rates.
I have never heard that Apple is crippling their data transfer rate on the Thunderbolt 3 ports. What purpose would that serve?
The crippling that is being discussed here is twofold:
  1. The charging speed on the lesser models is severely limited. On the Pro and Pro Max, you apparently have to use an Apple-approved cable to obtain the highest charging speed. This should righteously be a software choice when the charging cable is plugged in regardless of whether the cable is approved or not.
  2. The transfer rate is being similarly slashed to 1.2% of USB C's capability. This seems purely punitive on the part of Apple.
The throttling lawsuit is about how Apple was reducing the computing performance of the affected iPhones to increase battery life without disclosing what was going on.

Apple has taken that option away with its USB C implementation.
Where did you hear that? There are some Apple hater YT'ers who have speculated that the iphone 15 Pro series will be limited. But the regular 15 series will be lightning speed.
The crippling that is being discussed here is twofold:
  1. The charging speed on the lesser models is severely limited. On the Pro and Pro Max, you apparently have to use an Apple-approved cable to obtain the highest charging speed. This should righteously be a software choice when the charging cable is plugged in regardless of whether the cable is approved or not.
  2. The transfer rate is being similarly slashed to 1.2% of USB C's capability. This seems purely punitive on the part of Apple.
Again there is no proof that Apple will require a special Apple exclusive cable to use it's USB C port on the 15 Pro series. Frankly any claim about iphone 15 series is pure speculation as there has been no official announcements. All rumors, good and bad. And as I said, even in the 11 Pro Max I do have a way to rapid charge by changing the settings in the battery menu plus plugging into a power supply that can fast charge it.

I'm not trying to defend Apple, just trying to disregard claims made with no evidence it is true or false. Law suits can make all sorts of claims but until the case is won by the plaintiff, it's not a fact.

Where did you hear that?
9to5 Mac and MacRumors both cited information from a single respected source.
Again there is no proof that Apple will require a special Apple exclusive cable to use it's USB C port on the 15 Pro series.
A special (Made For iPhone) cable is certainly not required to use the port -- only to take full advantage of the speed (both data transfer and charging) available. The presence of the approved cable detection technology (MFi) in the Pro and Pro Max largely confirms the rumor. Perhaps what isn't confirmed that the lesser iPhones will be speed limited as the USB C iPads are but it doesn't seem a huge leap to make that assumption considering what they've done on the iPad product line given the same parameters.
Frankly any claim about iphone 15 series is pure speculation as there has been no official announcements.
They wouldn't readily admit that they were intentionally hobbling something. That's where the press and results of class action lawsuits comes in to figure out what Apple is doing versus what they are saying. This was especially important when Apple announced that certain elements of iPhones could be user-serviced.
Law suits can make all sorts of claims but until the case is won by the plaintiff, it's not a fact.
Just today, Apple lost their appeal of the iPhone - battery throttling lawsuit. It was fact before the appeal and they've not manage to "overturn" that fact.

Apple may have justification for what they're doing on behalf of users but they should be forthcoming about it and certainly shouldn't deny it.

I think this is what you are referring to?

Apple users are finally receiving their $65 payout following a 2018 class action lawsuit claiming Apple intentionally slowed down iPhones in an effort to push consumers to upgrade to a newer phone. The company agreed to pay up to $500 million to resolve the lawsuit in March 2020, but two iPhone owners filed an appeal objecting to some terms of the settlement. The appeal went to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals but was denied, according to a court filing.
The decision was the final obstacle in the five-year case where roughly three million claims were made since the class action lawsuit was filed in 2018. Apple admitted to slowing down the iOS software on older iPhones in 2017, claiming the software was updated to prevent older batteries from shutting off devices at random intervals, but claimed it was not designed to force consumers to buy new batteries or upgrade to a newer iPhone.

I'll be surprised if Apple sends me $65 but I'll take it. :)
I thought you were talking about something pertaining to iphone 15. I can't even recall what iphone I was using in 2018. Maybe it was my iphone 6. I still have it as I use it as a screen for my old drone controller. I don't think it supports the newer iOS for a couple years now. Out of curiosity, I just pulled it out of my dji drone case and turned it on. First time in over a year. Battery says 82%. I've been using my new dji mini and it has a screen built into the controller.

I understand people will want to believe rumors that support their wish list from some unknown or even known "trusted source" But I will always consider these rumors as possibility but not probable until officially announced.